Front Sight Training

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I've been offered a membership to Front Sight for a pretty reasonable price. I've heard of them before and from doing research on the internet they seem like a pretty good place to train. I've never taken an actual training course before and have been researching options, I was just wondering between flying out to Las Vegas, buying the membership, paying for a place to stay, renting a car and all that if it's that great an option compared to finding something locally. The membership lets me take whatever classes I want with 2 weeks notice with no class fees, but with flights to Vegas averaging 300-500 dollars, plus the additional expenses I'm not sure. Has anyone here had any experience with them in the past?

CY09

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I also have memberships with Front Sight and I have enjoyed the training there--mostly because I have family out west so I can get in a family visit too. Travel and hotel will cost a good deal more than you are paying for your membership. There is also a $50/year background check fee. Don't be fooled by the "take any class you want" sales pitch. You have to be a distinguished graduate from a basic class to be eligible for the advanced classes and achieving that is difficult. Dr. Piazza will drive you crazy with "last time" offers. All that being said, Front Sight does have good basic handgun training -- especially in gun handling and safety. I have not taken any of the other classes. Flight of $300-$500 + 4 day hotel costs + meals + car rental for each trip equals lots and lots of local training.

I'll give you a certificate to go train there and if you love it I can hook you up with a membership cheap! PM me.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    They still teach and advocate things like the Weaver Grip and Stance and shooting "double taps". It's stuff that was great in its time but much like Gunsite it has been left behind as shooting methodology evolved.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    With the caliber of training that is constantly brought to Southeast Louisiana, I can't see it being beneficial to spend airfare, membership, hotel stay, food, etc on front sight, when you can spend $200 a day locally for better training.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    They still teach and advocate things like the Weaver Grip and Stance and shooting "double taps". It's stuff that was great in its time but much like Gunsite it has been left behind as shooting methodology evolved.

What is the Weaver Grip? I did some web searching, got some interesting hits, but not sure on it. I use a modified Weaver stance. Agree with the 'double taps' thing, if that is what they teach. Thanks for the info.

Looking at late summer or Fall, I would love to come down and take a class or two. I am not a gun expert, just a gun enthusiast that likes to learn.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    What is the Weaver Grip? I did some web searching, got some interesting hits, but not sure on it. I use a modified Weaver stance. Agree with the 'double taps' thing, if that is what they teach. Thanks for the info.

Looking at late summer or Fall, I would love to come down and take a class or two. I am not a gun expert, just a gun enthusiast that likes to learn.

Brother, do your self a HUGE favor and PM Vanilla Gorilla or Sigfan and enroll in either of their basic Pistol 1 class. It will be the best $200 you spent and you'll save boatloads of $$$$. You'll learn the current best practices in safety, gun handling, accuracy, etc. From there, VG has had Kyle Lamb, warfighter concepts, scott reitz, all of which are better than front sight and here locally.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Unless the goal is to take a trip to Vegas there is nothing at front sight you can't do better local. If the idea is to get a weekend in Vegas there are better outfits training in the area.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Using the modified weaver or any of the weaver variation is a habit you should learn to break. If it offered any advantages you would seen it used on the competition circuit. You won't find a single champion in any of the disciplines using it.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Using the modified weaver or any of the weaver variation is a habit you should learn to break. If it offered any advantages you would seen it used on the competition circuit. You won't find a single champion in any of the disciplines using it.

OK, I know nothing about competition. And I am not an expert or instructor. I disagree about the modified Weaver stance. So, I guess now I will have to take a class or two to learn a different method. Will be checking out your schedule, and as that and my budget work out, will see you down south. Always open to learning new things.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    OK, I know nothing about competition. And I am not an expert or instructor. I disagree about the modified Weaver stance. So, I guess now I will have to take a class or two to learn a different method. Will be checking out your schedule, and as that and my budget work out, will see you down south. Always open to learning new things.

Start at around 3:45.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Well, sure as heck am not going to argue with him, but have been trained differently. Again, not an expert, but what about the obvious problem with the isosceles stance in a self defense situation? Balance. Push a person in an Isosceles stance in the chest and they will most likely fall back. Is that a good self defense stance?

Expert, I am not. Seeker of shooting skills I am.

Defensive vs competitive.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, sure as heck am not going to argue with him, but have been trained differently. Again, not an expert, but what about the obvious problem with the isosceles stance in a self defense situation? Balance. Push a person in an Isosceles stance in the chest and they will most likely fall back. Is that a good self defense stance?

Expert, I am not. Seeker of shooting skills I am.

Defensive vs competitive.

That's not true at all. Hips to enemy, bent knees and leaning forward is the strongest stance we can achieve as humans. It not only helps control recoil, it also helps stabilize against attackers. Think about NFL offensive lineman, when they're being directly bulldozed by a 280lb lineman, what stance do they take? Squared up, knees bent, body weight shifted forward.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    That's not true at all. Hips to enemy, bent knees and leaning forward is the strongest stance we can achieve as humans. It not only helps control recoil, it also helps stabilize against attackers. Think about NFL offensive lineman, when they're being directly bulldozed by a 280lb lineman, what stance do they take? Squared up, knees bent, body weight shifted forward.

3 point stance with a gun?

http://www.nfl.com/photos/09000d5d807e8a66/09000d5d807e8767

Pict I chose does not show up. Don't see NFL Stance working for handguns.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Ha, that would be interesting. I didn't mean the way they line up. My point was, in any combative sport, at the point of contact you will always see the defender squared up against the opponent, for good reason.

Yes, but leaned way forward, not standing up in an isosceles stance. Get in the isoceles stance, and have your better half or a room mate give you a good shove in the chest. We can argue it all day long, going to take a class with the Vanilla dude. Will go with an open mind, learn what I can.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Yes, but leaned way forward, not standing up in an isosceles stance. Get in the isoceles stance, and have your better half or a room mate give you a good shove in the chest. We can argue it all day long, going to take a class with the Vanilla dude. Will go with an open mind, learn what I can.

Google "modern isosceles". I don't think the old school isosceles stance has been relevant in discussion for decades.

You are right though, things rarely make as much sense on the internet as they do on the range. Good call on taking a class.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Love classes, and will be happy if I am proven wrong on stance. I go to a class with an open mind, no axe to grind.

Top Bottom