Dems Introduce Firearm Confiscation Legislation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I'll preface this by saying I have zero trust in Feinstein and want her out of office immediately, and with her behind the bill, I have zero faith in the quality of it. However, this is a step in the right direction as far as this stuff goes, in my opinion. It isn't cast as certain guns being demons, and it requires family members to petition a court for what I think is a temporary hold on firearm possession. It's certainly a situation with the potential for abuse, particularly in California where an anti-2a family could very likely bring an individual in front of an anti-2a judge, who both think owning a bunch of guns and ammo is a bad sign in and of itself. I think with the right combination of factors (e.g. recommendation from 3+ family members => psych eval => court), it's something that might not be terrible. I think if someone posed that significant a threat however, the focus might better not be on guns at all but placing a temp psych hold

Well, to be safe, we should add driving a car, owning a knife, bat, large dog... Keep in mind, the average MSNBC viewer is shocked that someone might own say 10 guns and a few thousand rounds. Very dangerous path to go down. I am all about keeping guns away from crazy people, but am very leary of restricting rights because of something someone 'might' do. A lot of liberals think owning a gun, and defending yourself is crazy.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    ^thus my last sentence

And my point that many liberals think owning guns is crazy. And I think restricting people for what they 'might' do, is a bad idea.

In criminal law, Blackstone's formulation (also known as Blackstone's ratio or the Blackstone ratio) is the principle that:

"It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer",

...as expressed by the English jurist William Blackstone in his seminal work, Commentaries on the Laws of England, published in the 1760s.

It is worthwhile to note that the actual numbers are not generally seen as important, so much as the idea that the State should not cause undue or mistaken harm "just in case". Historically, the details of the ratio change, but the message that government and the courts must err on the side of innocence is constant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackstone's_formulation

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom