Untreated mental illness an imminent danger? ...recent mass shootings preventable...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Untreated mental illness an imminent danger?

How many of the recent mass shootings in the U.S. were preventable tragedies, symptoms of a failing mental health system?

The following script is from "Imminent Danger" which aired on Sept. 29, 2013, and was rebroadcast on June 8, 2014. The correspondent is Steve Kroft. Producers Graham Messick and Coleman Cowan.

The past several weeks have seen another deadly outbreak of mass shootings by lone gunmen in their 20's on or near college campuses, part of an epidemic of senseless violence that's now occurring on a regular basis.

It's become harder and harder to ignore the fact that the majority of the people pulling the triggers have turned out to be severely mentally ill, not in control of their faculties, and not receiving treatment. In the words of one of the country's top psychiatrists, these were preventable tragedies, symptoms of a failed mental health system that's prohibited from intervening until a judge determines that someone presents an "imminent danger to themself or others."

And as we first reported last fall, the consequence is a society that's neglected millions of seriously ill people hidden in plain sight on the streets of our cities, or locked away in prisons or jails.

The below video is a must watch video for all those who are Pro-2nd Amendment rights. Proper mental health would have avoided many of the recent mass shootings.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/untreated-mental-illness-an-imminent-danger-2/

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I saw an article (which was later validated) that the only personal trait in common among the last 15 active shooters was that they were on anti-depressants or some psychological treatment at some point before the shooting.

In and by itself, thats powerful. The problem is that an increasing number of the national population has been on some type of "psychological drug" at some point, which makes the entire article (and this debate) stupid.
    8 year old runs and screams in class? ritalin. Wife depressed because husband had an affair? Zoloft. Husband says he can't sleep at night or concentrate at work during the day? Ambien and Adderall. Have we become so weak as a society that we need a pill to solve everything for us? Give me a break.

Bottom line is that we have become a bunch of pansies that need something else to blame for every fault we have. Take some responsibility for yourself and your actions, and treat these people for what they are: murderers and criminals, not victims. The men, women, and children they murdered in cold blood without a fighting chance were victims.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I saw an article (which was later validated) that the only personal trait in common among the last 15 active shooters was that they were on anti-depressants or some psychological treatment at some point before the shooting.

In and by itself, thats powerful. The problem is that an increasing number of the national population has been on some type of "psychological drug" at some point, which makes the entire article (and this debate) stupid.
    8 year old runs and screams in class? ritalin. Wife depressed because husband had an affair? Zoloft. Husband says he can't sleep at night or concentrate at work during the day? Ambien and Adderall. Have we become so weak as a society that we need a pill to solve everything for us? Give me a break.

Bottom line is that we have become a bunch of pansies that need something else to blame for every fault we have. Take some responsibility for yourself and your actions, and treat these people for what they are: murderers and criminals, not victims. The men, women, and children they murdered in cold blood without a fighting chance were victims.

That's true...but I think when you look a little closer...many of these recent shooting were done by people who were SEVERELY mentally ill.

Their doctors or parents were trying to intervene...and the Virginia Tech shooter was ordered by a Judge to seek help from a Psychiatrist. Check out the first 3 minutes of the 60 minutes video. He makes it clear...these shooters were ill.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Prescribing drugs is much like any other supply/demand philosophy. There is a market for it! Patients DEMAND results from their doctors; thus doctors prescribe what their customers want.

Psychopharmaceuticals by their very nature can't be good for the CNS in the long term. 12 years (from lab to shelves), for a drug to be approved by the FDA to treat psychological anomaly's simply can't be enough time to discern what these things are doing. What about their genetic transfers? How does any one know (for sure), if the effects are generational or even mutational?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Prescribing drugs is much like any other supply/demand philosophy. There is a market for it! Patients DEMAND results from their doctors; thus doctors prescribe what their customers want.

Psychopharmaceuticals by their very nature can't be good for the CNS in the long term. 12 years (from lab to shelves), for a drug to be approved by the FDA to treat psychological anomaly's simply can't be enough time to discern what these things are doing. What about their genetic transfers? How does any one know (for sure), if the effects are generational or even mutational?

this isn't like you at all. allow me to guide you back to your true course, Emp:

gun control proposals state (repeatedly) that anyone with psychiatric illness, history of treatment, or medication should be barred from carrying or purchasing firearms. That means every kid that ever took Ritalin, or every adult that ever got Ambien. (~1/4 of the country, those 2 drugs alone)

discuss?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    this isn't like you at all. allow me to guide you back to your true course, Emp:

gun control proposals state (repeatedly) that anyone with psychiatric illness, history of treatment, or medication should be barred from carrying or purchasing firearms. That means every kid that ever took Ritalin, or every adult that ever got Ambien. (~1/4 of the country, those 2 drugs alone)

discuss?

More wards of the state! We in this country are heading for a show down. It's going to include exactly what you stated! The question will come down to; Drugs for a better citizenry, or freedom?

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I don't really think any Lawmaker is going to seriously propose a law which removes the right to bear arms...Vote...etc to someone who used a Rx anti-depressant. Even if they try...I see a huge fight.

Personally...I'd rather see some sort of change in the Involuntary Commitment Laws. That seems to be where we should direct our attention.

The way it is now...Its almost impossible to intervene and legally get someone committed to a mental health facility. And even if you get past that first roadblock...there aren't enough beds.

Almost every one of the recent shooters were bat **** crazy.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I don't really think any Lawmaker is going to seriously propose a law which removes the right to bear arms...Vote...etc to someone who used a Rx anti-depressant. Even if they try...I see a huge fight.

Personally...I'd rather see some sort of change in the Involuntary Commitment Laws. That seems to be where we should direct our attention.

The way it is now...Its almost impossible to intervene and legally get someone committed to a mental health facility. And even if you get past that first roadblock...there aren't enough beds.

This too will be a problem! Think about what happens when people are wrongfully accused of rape? How about when an ex tells the cops he hit her?

Slippery slopes a' coming!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

its law in 3 states already my friend. Excerpt, california gun law effective Jan 2014. For purposes of argument, a 5150 comes from anyone with a credible claim that you are mentally ill or disturbed. It's not unlike a woman calling 911 and saying "he raped me." Arrest first, sort details later. In this case, its "he sounded really angry and he owns a lot of guns"

If placed on a 72-hour hold (also known as a "5150") as a danger to self or others and admitted
    to a facility for psychiatric treatment, you are prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms while you are in the
    facility and for five years from the date of admission to the facility. When you are admitted to a facility as a
    danger to self/others, the facility is required to notify the state Department of Justice. The Department of
    Justice then adds your name to the state mental health firearms prohibition database.
    Before discharging you, the facility staff must notify you that you cannot possess or purchase firearms for
    a period of five years. At the same time, the staff must advise you of your right to go to court and ask a
    judge to restore your right to possess and purchase firearms. If you request this hearing when you are
    being discharged from the facility, the staff should provide you with a hearing request form and forward
    the form to the court on your behalf. After you are discharged from the facility, you can request a hearing
    by calling the California Department of Justice at (916) 227-3664.

This period begins AFTER the conclusion of any prescribed medication, and a doctors affidavit that you are no longer under treatment. (He puts HIS name on the line that you're now safe. Want to guess how many have done so this year? zero.)

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    its law in 3 states already my friend. Excerpt, california gun law effective Jan 2014. For purposes of argument, a 5150 comes from anyone with a credible claim that you are mentally ill or disturbed. It's not unlike a woman calling 911 and saying "he raped me." Arrest first, sort details later. In this case, its "he sounded really angry and he owns a lot of guns"

If placed on a 72-hour hold (also known as a "5150") as a danger to self or others and admitted
    to a facility for psychiatric treatment, you are prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms while you are in the
    facility and for five years from the date of admission to the facility. When you are admitted to a facility as a
    danger to self/others, the facility is required to notify the state Department of Justice. The Department of
    Justice then adds your name to the state mental health firearms prohibition database.
    Before discharging you, the facility staff must notify you that you cannot possess or purchase firearms for
    a period of five years. At the same time, the staff must advise you of your right to go to court and ask a
    judge to restore your right to possess and purchase firearms. If you request this hearing when you are
    being discharged from the facility, the staff should provide you with a hearing request form and forward
    the form to the court on your behalf. After you are discharged from the facility, you can request a hearing
    by calling the California Department of Justice at (916) 227-3664.

This period begins AFTER the conclusion of any prescribed medication, and a doctors affidavit that you are no longer under treatment. (He puts HIS name on the line that you're now safe. Want to guess how many have done so this year? zero.)

Well..you are right. I wasn't really thinking about the spousal abuse aspect of it. I was thinking about the case of a parent of a 22 y/o who notices an extreme change of their child's behavior and personality...yet they can't intervene because the child is an adult.

Its just next to impossible to get an involuntary commitment. And from what I have read...almost all of these recent school shootings were done by people with severe mental health issues. They were not just a little weird. They were sick.

That said....I am totally against the laws you describe above. To ban someone from owning a firearm for 5 years simply because of a charge of abuse is absolutely outrageous. Way too many ex's will abuse that law. Its just what they do when they get pissed.
    The scourge of a vengeful woman isn't anything to sneeze at...Thats for damned sure.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well..you are right. I wasn't really thinking about the spousal abuse aspect of it. I was thinking about the case of a parent of a 22 y/o who notices an extreme change of their child's behavior and personality...yet they can't intervene because the child is an adult.

Its just next to impossible to get an involuntary commitment. And from what I have read...almost all of these recent school shootings were done by people with severe mental health issues. They were not just a little weird. They were sick.

That said....I am totally against the laws you describe above. To ban someone from owning a firearm for 5 years simply because of a charge of abuse is absolutely outrageous. Way too many ex's will abuse that law. Its just what they do when they get pissed.
    The scourge of a vengeful woman isn't anything to sneeze at...Thats for damned sure.

Let me toss this log in to the fire for good measure; how many of you have seen the "classic battle royal" between disgruntled exes with the addition of kids as revenge pawns? If you did, you would be deadest against this type of tattling!

Way too many ex's will abuse that law
    Abused? Id say bank on it!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Who is "they?"

California State Police and LAPD apparently.

california-gun-confiscation-620x424.jpg

Firearms seized during recent Los Angeles Police sweeps, with the help of the California’s Armed Prohibited Persons System (APPS) initiative, are displayed at a news conference with California Attorney General Kamala Harris, not seen, announcing the state’s efforts to reduce gun violence at the Los Angeles Police headquarters in Los Angeles Friday, May 17, 2013. APPS is an online database that identifies persons who own or possess a firearm, and who subsequently become prohibited from possessing a firearm due to a history of violence, or because the person is suffering from mental illness. (Photo: AP/Damian Dovarganes)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom