Benjamin NP2 dieseling

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    Anyone notice the nitrogen piston airguns dieseling. I've shoot a few hundred .22 pellets through it.
    Intermittently I'm hearing a crack, when the pellet has become supersonic. I have two 1/2" pine boards stacked together as my target backstop. Normally the pellet pierces the first board, and stop in the second without going through. At supersonic it's going through both ( cleanly ). 17 yards

The rifle is super accurate. I'm shooting 2 liter bottle caps 17yards all day. I hate for the dieseling to break a fine air rifle

BRPCP

Precision Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What are the pellets your using? If they are going supersonic, that's the crack. Not the dieseling. Can you chrony it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRPCP

Precision Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Dieseling typically occurs the first few shots of a brand new gun. Or if you put oil in the piston chamber.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    I'm using the Crossman variety pack of pellets. The advertised feet per second for the Benjamin np2 is around 900fps
    Projectiles go supersonic around 1140fps. I believe it's dieseling and pushing the pellets supersonic. But I don't have a chrono to verify, just the crack & the penetration results.

Off note: what distance does one normally sight in a air rifle? 15-25?

BRPCP

Precision Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Depends on a lot of things. 1st I recommend finding your max effective range, or max distance you feel confident hitting your killzone. Let's say for that rifle it would be 40yd
    Then (2nd variable) what is your scope height (distance between centerline of bbl and centerline scope), as well as pellet weight and pellet speed. Assuming a 14.3 gn pellet shooting in the 850 fps range and a scope height of 1.5", I would zero around 18-20 yards

This would shoot CLOSE to "zero" on your scope from 18-30 yards. You will have to hold higher for anything past 30 yds are before 18. Hope that helps

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    To truly make a piston style air rifle diesel you need a propellant. Many oils will work, even menthalatum or Vaseline. The effect is called dieseling because you get a forced ignition caused by sudden compression of the oil in the barrel behind the pellet just like diesel fuel is ignited in a Diesel engine. It does work and the pellet speed can be increased by 200-300fps or better. I’ve done this with cheaper spring piston air guns in .177 and .22 cal and actually measured the results on a chronograph. I’ve not blown seals but of course it’s possible to damage the internals. Why do it? Because you can. But it’s prolly better to just step up to a better rifle if you want something that hits harder.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I was thinking the same, like the added speed with the alloy pellets, but without propellant ya can’t really call it dieseling.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    To truly make a piston style air rifle diesel you need a propellant. Many oils will work, even menthalatum or Vaseline. The effect is called dieseling because you get a forced ignition caused by sudden compression of the oil in the barrel behind the pellet just like diesel fuel is ignited in a Diesel engine. It does work and the pellet speed can be increased by 200-300fps or better. I’ve done this with cheaper spring piston air guns in .177 and .22 cal and actually measured the results on a chronograph. I’ve not blown seals but of course it’s possible to damage the internals. Why do it? Because you can. But it’s prolly better to just step up to a better rifle if you want something that hits harder.

Dang 4 years and back from the dead. This is one old thread lol

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom