Nutrition

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Reading, my nutrition is off. I eat better than not, but not well enough. I've been mulling that over real hard before committing. Nothing health related ever takes the #yolo attitude. Like when i started legs again. I knew i should do em, i knew they suck and arent fun. I remember the pain of starting last time and knew that if i was to start legs again i would have to know i was going to stick with it. I do, typically two leg days a week.

I know my nutrition is lacking and its the bigger part of the picture so i have been thinking about it hard. You have to know that you're going to do it.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    agree with most of that article. the fat/ratios/carbs are up for strong debate, but most of it is spot on accurate.

Yupz. But ratios really need to be modified based on so many factors. I don't even pay attention to them for me. I just eat healthy and whenever I am working out with heavier weights, I eat more protein and sometimes add creatine to my post-workout snacks.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Think of embers from a fire left to burn out all night... You need to rekindle those gently, with a small amount of kindling before applying logs of wood. If too much fuel is added on those embers, it can cause it to smother. This is the same with our metabolism and our bodies after waking up. One egg, whole wheat toast and maybe yogurt or bacon can really get your metabolism cranking along with .5 cup of cool coffee and lots of water of course. Two-three hours later a handful of nuts or a protein bar to keep fueling the fire, followed by a good lean protein and lots of vegetables and a small amount of complex carbs for lunch and so on throughout the day. Also do not eat after 8-9 PM if you are going to sleep before midnight. Always ensure 6-8 but no more than 10 hours of rest each night. It's ridiculous how effective this has been the past two months for me.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Think of embers from a fire left to burn out all night... You need to rekindle those gently, with a small amount of kindling before applying logs of wood. If too much fuel is added on those embers, it can cause it to smother. This is the same with our metabolism and our bodies after waking up. One egg, whole wheat toast and maybe yogurt or bacon can really get your metabolism cranking along with .5 cup of cool coffee and lots of water of course. Two-three hours later a handful of nuts or a protein bar to keep fueling the fire, followed by a good lean protein and lots of vegetables and a small amount of complex carbs for lunch and so on throughout the day. Also do not eat after 8-9 PM if you are going to sleep before midnight. Always ensure 6-8 but no more than 10 hours of rest each night. It's ridiculous how effective this has been the past two months for me.

A lot of times I take casein protein right before I go to sleep as it is supposed to keep your "fire burning" all night long. I have found that it works quite well for me as well. The trick is not eating too much though!

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    What he said. I only take it when I am trying to gain muscle though.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Creatine is great for short term use, but after a couple of months, I find it loses its effectiveness. Cycling off usually causes a -2 rep penalty too.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Creatine is great for short term use, but after a couple of months, I find it loses its effectiveness. Cycling off usually causes a -2 rep penalty too.

Yup. I usually do cycles of it for four weeks on and three plus off. It works quite well.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    I just eat what my body tells me to. Which is currently half a chicken as part of dinner. Getting fit is killing my grocery bill.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Really? Everyone else that I've talked to has the same situation. The more we work out, the more we have to eat. What should I be doing different?

I cook and prepare in bulk, and SAMS is my lifeline. But I guess I used to dine out etc a lot, and anywhere you sit and eat you'll spend more in one meal than I'll spend all week.

When people say "eating healthy is expensive" it generally means they are "sorta" eating healthy; ie buying healthy stuff AND the old stuff too. It doesn't work that way (budget OR body goals).

Eating healthy cut the cash on dining out, buying booze, etc, but my shopping list for this afternoon:

3 dozen eggs
    2 canisters of quaker dry oatmeal
    3 gallons of almond milk
    16 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cook 8 tonight, 8 sunday)
    2 bags of brown rice
    2 bottles of flavored Mio (for my water)
    Mixed cans/packets of Tuna
    Whole Grain Sandwich Rounds
    Light Mayo
    Bottle of Jack Millers (add to rice/chicken to make lunches a treat)
    Canister of Cocoa Roasted Almonds (taste like cocoa puffs)
    2 tubs of cottage cheese
    6 cartons of 100-cal greek yogurt
    box of cheerios
    2lbs ground turkey
    2lbs 93/7 lean beef
    taco seasoning packet
    box of wheat pasta
    fresh veggies
    Natural PB

~10-ish days worth of food, give or take. Add in random trips for meat etc.

I'd guess ~300 a mo on food, (not counting baby etc)

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    It's hard to believe that you get all that food for $100. I for sure cannot and won't because the majority of my groceries are fruits and vegetables. I have to make groceries every four to five days. My grocery bill averages $500 a month for just me.

Now, what are your goals? Weight loss? Building muscle? Both? Increase your cardio strength? I've found that different goals affect your eating and dietary needs. Seven years ago when my goal was weight loss, I spent $60 a week on groceries and ate a lot of fruits, vegetables that didn't perish quickly, along with a lot of staple foods, only used body weight for "lifting" and was running no more than two miles. Since then and accounting for living in Florida at the time, food prices have gone up 50% and now I live in Seattle where foods cost more than New Orleans where I used to live.

My goals right now are building muscles and a little bit more cardio strength. So now, I lift free weights, yoga, and cardio, making my total gym time 5-7 hours a week. The free weights and cardio make me very hungry.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    nah it ran me 140, but a lot of this I only buy every so often, like mayo, PB, cereal, bbq sauce- etc. these are every 8-weeks or so at most.

90% of my frequent shopping is lean meat, green veggies, and a cheap carb. 2- 2lb bags of brown rice cost me a couple bucks. 2 huge tubes of oatmeal about the same- both will last 6-8 weeks.

The nutritional program for FITNESS is lean meat, some good fats, green veggies, and low GI carbs. Goals irrelevant. Trying to bulk up may run you a bit more, but I'd argue that its marginal. Most people trying to lose weight do it incredibly slowly because they don't eat enough. Fall below 5-700 cals under maintenance and your metabolism goes in the crapper.

There's a reason fit people stay hungry... the same reason they stay lean. ...the same reason they can have pancakes for breakfast or pizza for lunch and still look the way they do.

I'll total my grocery costs including supplements etc this evening for funsies.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    nah it ran me 140, but a lot of this I only buy every so often, like mayo, PB, cereal, bbq sauce- etc. these are every 8-weeks or so at most.

90% of my frequent shopping is lean meat, green veggies, and a cheap carb. 2- 2lb bags of brown rice cost me a couple bucks. 2 huge tubes of oatmeal about the same- both will last 6-8 weeks.

The nutritional program for FITNESS is lean meat, some good fats, green veggies, and low GI carbs. Goals irrelevant. Trying to bulk up may run you a bit more, but I'd argue that its marginal. Most people trying to lose weight do it incredibly slowly because they don't eat enough. Fall below 5-700 cals under maintenance and your metabolism goes in the crapper.

There's a reason fit people stay hungry... the same reason they stay lean. ...the same reason they can have pancakes for breakfast or pizza for lunch and still look the way they do.

I'll total my grocery costs including supplements etc this evening for funsies.

Woh now. I am probably fitter than...ya know...all of y'all...and I try to stay NOT hungry so I don't get even tempted in the slightest to snack. I wholeheartedly disagree with staying hungry. Keep food in you so your body is ALWAYS metabolising on something. Food in your system and your stomach WORKING to digest the food burns more calories than not. At least that works for me. Just throwing that out there.

As for food prices. I will say that healthy food is probably 20% more expensive than the more easily mass produced cheaper / lower quality / unhealthy food. I have done the math a few times and it always comes up that it is between 15% and 25% expensive, which really isn't /that/ much.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have to agree with the keep food with ya even a little.
    While different kinda the same. My doctor {oncologist} main Job was keeping me healthy.
    I got Oatmeal in bulk at Sam's, started the day. Whole foods had stuff from the Bulk Bins. Things like nuts and dried fruits that were mixed with Grains. Are great bring with ya. Some were $2.99 a pound on sale.
    A whole sack of Brown Rice brought the cost way down {even on sale it is an extra 10% and every little helps}
    Grilled fish any kind from Sam's or Winn Dixie, Turkey {mixed white and dark} Grilled or Backed Chicken, Lean Pork gets the thumbs up as well
    Cases of Chicken is also cheap if ya have a freezer. It is i think 6 packs in same yellow foam trays, but in a large card board box like they put in the case. But ya have to ask for it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom