.410 pump, not a toy after all.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    My first firearm was a Mossberg bolt action .410. It had a variable choke, but I always left it in the full position. I was 8 years old when it was given to me.
    My dad and uncle both had 12ga pumps, and I always wanted the ..410 in a pump action. Last year (47 years later) I got one, The Mossberg 500.
    As I was headed to a friend's house for vacation last November, I decided we should have a competition with it, trap shooting.
    So three of us got together to do just that. We all figured it would be tough, given the reduced shot number in the shell (we purposely limited ourselves to 2 1/2" shells) and the fact the gun was fixed full choke.
    Imagine our surprise when we all hit nearly every clay thrown! The gun, being light, was swift to get up and on point, and the recoil was negligible.
    Later that day we used it for shooting real pigeons on the wing, and it was just as effective on them.
    I've read and seen a lot of comments on how the .410 is an "experts" gun, or worse, to some a toy. Our experience proved otherwise.
    The only real complaint about it is the cost of ammo. Outrageous!

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    I like pulling out my crack barrel 410 and showing my buddies up at skeet shoots with it

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Cool, I still have a mossberg 410 bolt action I got when I was around 6, no adjustable choke, but I let my cousin use it for his kids when I was around 18 and got it back a few later and noticed he cut the stock down some his kids. Kind of pissed me off, but I guess it will work better for my boys now. Plus I have an H&R crack barrel 410.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Here's my 410's

Gold Accent Judge

images

Savage 410/.22 OU

savage.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

JDIZZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Central La
    I got that same .22/410 savage from my grandpa when I was 13. I also got my first squirrel with that gun.
    I have my grandpa's 22/20ga. He had one with a 30-30 barrel, but I'm not sure who he sold it to. I would love to have all combinations

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    .410?? Yes, please!!
    This is a 1969 Savage 24 in .22 mag/.410 which I have owned forever. It had been abused and was really scabrous, but after stock refinish and stainless Duracoat it looks great now. It has always shot very well, even when it was missing the rear leaf sight. .410 is for real!

JDIZZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Central La
    .410?? Yes, please!!
    This is a 1969 Savage 24 in .22 mag/.410 which I have owned forever. It had been abused and was really scabrous, but after stock refinish and stainless Duracoat it looks great now. It has always shot very well, even when it was missing the rear leaf sight. .410 is for real!

Very nice!

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    My "first" was a 410 bolt action also. Single shot, Revelation ( Western Auto store brand) but I thought it was the finest gun ever made. I still have it too. your post brought back some good memories . Thanks .
    Gary

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom