Cop shoots and kills handcuffed suspect. Charges refused.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Kinda looked like the prisoner was biting the hand/finger of the officer in the light colored shirt. Doesn't seem to me that the officer who shot meant to. Accidental discharge maybe, I don't know. As the BS saying goes, "play stupid games..."

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    sad sad... i guess in the heat of the moment like you said he couldnt get his taser out, looked like he tugged on it a few times then went for his pistol on instint... it was wrong and sorry to see the out come but i hope the cop doesn't get hung for it, looks like a honest mistake

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    I am definitely not anti-police but I don't see how the DA refused charges.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_25174675/grand-jury-declines-charge-el-paso-police-officer

Sorry to ruin the cop bashing, but the CIVILIANS on the gran jury failed to indite him. Not the agency or the DA.

He intended to shoot. This was the third or forth fight with this guy since he had been arrested. He had already been tased 4 or 5 times and was being taken to the ER after he flipped his cuffs ad went crazy in a holding cell.

And he tested positive for bath salts in autopsy.

Not that I would have gone gun, but the grand jury has spoken. As for the civil suit, probably will be writing a pretty big check.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. On both sides.

http://www.guns.com/2014/06/20/graphic-cctv-footage-of-texas-cop-fatally-shooting-handcuffed-prisoner-video/

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I thought it was interesting last week when I saw it.

Mainly b/c the (rest-of-the-story) entails the handcuffed(Body Builder)
    was also capable of slipping his hand-cuffs from behind him to in front of him(Very quickly)
    as he had already demonstrated more than once.

Add that fact to the already known one of him not being affected by the Tazer
    and the fact that he was indeed biting the **** out of the other officers hand
    (as seen in the video)
    and I could reasonably understand how when these two lost control of him
    initiating another wrestling match with him could have proved disastrous even more so.
    In fact the Tan-Uniformed Guard must have clearly been briefed on the danger of this particular
    inmate b/c after he lost control and got his hand out of his mouth
    he definitely was getting the heck away from him.
    (Which could have been induced by the Officer's Commands too, which we don't hear)

I didn't read anything about the Tan Uniformed Officer causing him to fire,
    but when watching the best quality video, it is clear the sequence of events.

At the frame right before the muzzle flash on the video
    the Tan-Uniformed Officers hand comes in contact with the
    Dark-Uniformed Officers drawn Firearm.
    At (that) point of contact the muzzle flash is seen.

Even with limited editing and grainy footage it's easy to see.

Much less the Raw Footage.

Look for it @ 1:06-1:07

The moment the Tan-Dressed Officers hand
    comes in contact with the Police Officer's firearm.
    shooting.jpg

The next frame after;
    shooting2.jpg

I myself didn't see any reason a Grand Jury would have indicted him.

Last edited:

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I am definitely not anti-police but I don't see how the DA refused charges.

Here's how the DA refused the charges. At 1:06 the suspect pushes off of the curb with his right foot. His body knocks the officer in the khaki uniform backwards whose hand hits the gun in the other officer's hand causing it to discharge. If the suspect hadn't kicked off of the curb this shooting would not have occurred.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Here's how the DA refused the charges. At 1:06 the suspect pushes off of the curb with his right foot. His body knocks the officer in the khaki uniform backwards whose hand hits the gun in the other officer's hand causing it to discharge. If the suspect hadn't kicked off of the curb this shooting would not have occurred.
    That seems like a logical conclusion to me. I don't think the cop was in the wrong. As said above - play stupid games, get stupid results.

mikepizz

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR # 308
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maurepas, LA
    lets see. if the officer in question did not intend on shooting, why was his finger on the trigger? Unless just bumping his gun makes it fire. He probably had one of those evil serpa holsters on also.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    lets see. if the officer in question did not intend on shooting, why was his finger on the trigger? Unless just bumping his gun makes it fire. He probably had one of those evil serpa holsters on also.

If you ever watch someone who thinks they may need to shoot someone you will probably see their finger moving in and out of the trigger guard. It isn't what they should be doing, but it does happen. That's why some people advocate having the finger in the ejection port as a definate "not shooting" position. I think it is much more likely that this officer lost track of where his finger was than he wanted to kill the guy.

Last edited:

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    From what I read the other officer hit his hand causing him to fire.

This. I think it is viewed more as an accidental shooting based on the hand being struck. I would like to see anything that states from the department that it was an intentional use of deadly force. Everything I had read leads to the inference that they viewed it as accidental.

The argument begins with the question of wether or not he was ever at a point where taking the gun out was appropriate. IF IT WAS NOT a gun when he meant taser thing, I think it was appropriate, as the department tried to articulate based on the fighting, ability to jump through cuffs, etc.

Seems like a bit of inter-limb interaction and sympathetic response.

No, THIS is interesting....

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-killed-handcuffed-man-cop-gave-homeless-man-boots/

flores.jpg

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS

The fact that the gun was in his hand indicates that he thought he might have to shoot within a few seconds. It's one thing to have good trigger disciple at the range, it's another thing to be scared sh*tless with a nice dose of adrenalin hitting those muscles in the hand and fingers. At what point does someone who thinks he's in grave danger put his finger on the trigger? 2 seconds , 3?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    From the video it appears he was drawing his weapon and backing away from the suspect. In the article, he stated he drew his gun just to have the presence of deadly force, hoping the guy would take heed and calm down. The shot was accidental, and everything in the video seems to back up his story. Of note is his reaction after the shot, he didn't continue to shoot or continue getting in position to shoot as you would expect. You can tell he was startled and immediately reholstering the gun to render aid is not what I'd expect to see from someone who was intentionally shooting an amped up, violent suspect. And I don't know anyone that would purposely take that shot with the other guy so close to begin with.

Mac204

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    CenLa
    The reason the officer did not draw the taser is because they had already hit he guy with the taser multiple times earlier in the day with minimal effectiveness. The perp was also seen fronting. In other words, they saw him brin he cuffs under his legs, manipulate something, then return hen to his back with ease. No charges = right call.

Top Bottom