Standby/ Whole home generators

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alpharic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Hello everyone. Does anyone have any referrals to someone/company that sells and installs these things in a reasonable time frame and doesn't screw your eyeballs out on prices for labor, plumbing, electrical. Any ides or references will be greatly appreciated.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    ARCCO Power Systems in Baton Rouge.

Time is dependent on what kind of generator you get. Some of them aren't stocked and have to be built and shipped. I recommend a diesel MTU Onsite Energy genset, although you can go natural gas if you want to have (extreme) faith in the Entergy piping in BR. When Gustav came through many of the NG generators here were failing or underperforming due to the supply lines being maxed out or damaged.

Generac has had issues in the past not honoring warranties for gensets. Why or who's to blame varies depending on who you get the story from, but the end result was that Generac wasn't issuing payments for warranty work.

Last edited:

ahoover123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Hello everyone. Does anyone have any referrals to someone/company that sells and installs these things in a reasonable time frame and doesn't screw your eyeballs out on prices for labor, plumbing, electrical. Any ides or references will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/djm-enterprises-hammond This company did some warranty work on my generator a couple of years ago and did a good job and was reasonable on their maintenance kits for my generator. I installed mine myself because back in 2009 Home Depot wanted $9500 for a turn key job. I decided to go with Kohler because I personally feel they are much better than Generac and Centurium. Kohler has been making generators for decades and are known for their engines too. Their engine doesn't need to have the valves adjusted or checked like many of the other brands out there. I installed a RESL17 that runs on NG. I have never had a problem when it came down to having to use it. It has performed 100% satisfactory and I maintain it myself. Another thing that I like about the Kohler unit is that it comes on in only 10 seconds after the power fails and not 5 or 10 minutes later. It powers my whole house and we don't sacrifice any thing at all while using it. Hope this helps.
    Big H

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've been looking for the same. So if anyone can recommend anyone in the New Orleans area I would appreciate it. I've also heard that only Generac dealers can service and install the Generac brand hence the warranty issues.

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    If your are looking for a diesel unit you might check out some of the rental companies like Aggreko, Blue Dolphin, etc. They rent & lease all sizes mostly to the oilfield companies but they also sell their used ones. Sometimes you can get a good deal on one.

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    These guys work anywhere from Baton Rouge to New Orleans , they do excellent work and have good service. I recommend them highly. And yes for Generac to honor it's warranty the unit must be installed and maintained by a certified Generac dealer. Which these guys are BTW.
    http://linxelectric.com

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    For what it's worth, I would say to have a licensed electrician recommend the generator size and configuration based on how your house is wired. There are many variables, a oversized unit will just use more fuel, undersized will be over worked.
    My electrician is coming by to give me his suggestions based on my needs. I have the options for lp or natural gas or any liquid fuel I want (I want gas) and feel it necessary to have a decent generator, without it I can't run the well pump.

Regardless of the generator, use synthetic motor oil after break in and keep extra oil and filters on hand for long term use of your equipment.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Whichever way you go, I'd also recommend getting a generator with an ethernet or USB-ready controller, so you can monitor/diagnose the unit without having to be physically present. Few things suck as bad as having to go out in the lighting pouring rainstorm to see why the generator isn't running correctly.

BYzHFA.png

Last edited:

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    I've seen a couple of generacs fail. I'd recommend a more industrial unit like some of these other folks are mentioning. What you want to look at is the motor and actual generator manufacturers not necessarily the name on the outside of the box. Once you find motor and generator manufacturers you like, hunt for someone that assembles them and has good reviews. Also keep in mind you will have to exercise and maintain whatever you get. At the start of a storm week will be when you find out a filter is clogged or a battery is dead. Know how to fix it and have a few parts ready to go. Natural gas and propane will run cleaner and likely have fewer issues with sitting long periods, a great option if you have reliable access to fuel.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I wanted one, but wife talked me out of it. Was looking at a 20 something kW unit that was water cooled, they wanted over 20k installed. And wife basically said, we are not staying for any storms (lived in meraux prior to Katrina and lost that house) so for the most part, don't think we have to worry about being uncomfortable since we won't be in town. Also all the wires are under ground in our neighborhood, so we are less likely to have an outage. And I'm guessing since the ceo of the energy company lives in the neighborhood, he would get it up and running quickly.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    CHUSTZ ELECTRIC, LLC
    515 Allendale Dr
    Port Allen, LA 70767

Installed a 22kw Generac, automatic transfer switch, laid the natural gas line, did all the permits, covered all the inspections, and spent time with me so I could fully understand the system. All for a bit over $8000. I'm happy with the service and so far the unit is working as advertised. Electricity went out in a small storm a week after it was installed. Did what it was supposed to do.

The 'generator guy' at this contractor installed 100 units last year. He told me he's on track to install 120 this year. This isn't a sideline with this contractor. When shopping around for a contractor they kinda dropped a hint that they are one of the contractors Home Depot uses.

His number one advice for keeping the genset happy is to let it do an exercise run once a week. The engine isn't the issue, the generator head is. With our high humidity here in the deep south water tends to condense in the generator head and inside the enclosure which is not a good thing. Running it once a week dries it out and will prevent a lot of future problems.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    CHUSTZ ELECTRIC, LLC
    515 Allendale Dr
    Port Allen, LA 70767

Installed a 22kw Generac, automatic transfer switch, laid the natural gas line, did all the permits, covered all the inspections, and spent time with me so I could fully understand the system. All for a bit over $8000. I'm happy with the service and so far the unit is working as advertised. Electricity went out in a small storm a week after it was installed. Did what it was supposed to do.

The 'generator guy' at this contractor installed 100 units last year. He told me he's on track to install 120 this year. This isn't a sideline with this contractor. When shopping around for a contractor they kinda dropped a hint that they are one of the contractors Home Depot uses.

His number one advice for keeping the genset happy is to let it do an exercise run once a week. The engine isn't the issue, the generator head is. With our high humidity here in the deep south water tends to condense in the generator head and inside the enclosure which is not a good thing. Running it once a week dries it out and will prevent a lot of future problems.
    Agree with running it weekly. Mine is set to come on every Friday afternoon and runs for about 10 minutes.

NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Local owned ben allen

delta electric
    ge generator with senergy controls.
    20 kw in stock.
    Tell him kirk recommended him.
    Debbie is the lady runs the office.
    Located on victoria dr behind the boat dealer on airline
    norsewolf/kirk

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I wanted one, but wife talked me out of it. Was looking at a 20 something kW unit that was water cooled, they wanted over 20k installed. And wife basically said, we are not staying for any storms (lived in meraux prior to Katrina and lost that house) so for the most part, don't think we have to worry about being uncomfortable since we won't be in town. Also all the wires are under ground in our neighborhood, so we are less likely to have an outage. And I'm guessing since the ceo of the energy company lives in the neighborhood, he would get it up and running quickly.
    That CEO would be a " She " . I assume you are on Entergy New Orleans ?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom