Ar scope

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Windham weaponry AR with a carry handle that has 2 screws that look like they hold the carry handle on the rifle.
    What kind of scope mount is available that is best to replace the carry handle and what is a good "pig scope" for a poor retired person to mount for 50 yard shots at many pigs?

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you have a picatinny rail under your carry handle. An Aero Precision scope mount and Weaver 1-3x20 is my choice for that range. I like the 1" extended scope mount, but the standard will work. Look for the scope used, they're around. Also, look elsewhere than Aero for the mount for a few bucks cheaper. Happy hunting!

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    I have a Windham weaponry AR with a carry handle that has 2 screws that look like they hold the carry handle on the rifle.
    What kind of scope mount is available that is best to replace the carry handle and what is a good "pig scope" for a poor retired person to mount for 50 yard shots at many pigs?

What budget are you thinking on the scope? Are you wanting to mount it to the rifle and not take it off? Do you want the ability to remove it and put it back on with no zero shift?

Last edited:

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What budget are you thinking on the scope? Are you wanting to mount it to the rifle and not take it off? Do you want the ability to remove it and put it back on with no zero shift?

I won't be removing it. I no longer see iron sights well enough to go back and forth. And I have only shot a few rounds through it and it is extremely high at 100 yards. It probably came set for extreme ranges like 300 m or more. I did not fool with the front sight. I didn't learn the M-16 much in the Marines. We shot M-14's at 600 yds. and all adjustments were made with the extremely easy to adjust rear sight. I still have my dope book.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Check out the Meopta Meopro 3-9 x 42 with the #4 reticle. Chris at Interstate recommended it do to the great glass and low light reticle. "The reticle pattern is known by hunters for its easy target acquisition; it has a fine crosshair with heavy posts at three, six, and nine o'clock." This is a GREAT low light scope!

bmbpbk6lhj3szs408k0.jpg

http://www.sportoptics.com/meopta-meopro-524370.aspx

4bewu37gsbwydodlva.jpg

Here is my hog gun and I an very happy with it.

tncm8o2gu568c84tk.jpg

Last edited:

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    It really depends on your comfort with all scope types. Red dots work well, so do reflex types and "traditional" glass optics. If you are doing pig hunting you do not really need "high power" magnification. I am comfortable with 2x and 4x scopes that allow a wide field of view. There are low power "tactical" scopes that you can look at and get an idea of field of view at the store. Probably Redfield or Leupold would be my suggestions, Meopta is a bit pricy for my blood and the zoom to 9x would not really be to great a feature for the (mostly) close range hog hunting that is limited by darkness and the range of your flashlight (or night light system). My opinion only.
    I am using a 4x Weaver scope and a green laser light, I would let you know how it works, but the pigs just are not cooperating. My eyes are getting older and I am not able to use iron sights as well or as quickly as I used to.

Btw, I got a green laser light (designator) off e-bay for about $60.00 and it does a nice job as a flashlight for night use.

Last edited:

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    For hog hunting you don't need much magnification and probably a red dot would be a better option. However if you are set on a scope, something like this Nikon P-223 3x32 fixed power one is not very expensive. You catch them on sale for $149 including the mount. This Nikon scope is a BDC scope you can go online a punch in your ballistic data and get the hold over numbers. The scope is simple, clear, bright and pretty rugged. The Tactical turrets are a bit over the top but I guess Nikon was trying to appeal to the Mall Ninja crowd.

opplanet-nikon-p-223-3x32-rifle-scope-matte-black-w-bdc-carbine-reticle-8496-with-nikon-p-serie-main.jpg

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    You guys are right about magnification. Not much is needed but after having used QUALITY European glass, I can't go back to anything else. Its AMAZING the difference. If you have a chance, check one out and you'll know what I am talking about.

FYI, the Elusive Wildlife Technologies KILL LIGHT is a partner to your set-up.

http://kill-light.com/Kill-LIght-XLR-250-Scanning-Light-SINGLE-MODE-KLP226.htm

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    For hog hunting you don't need much magnification and probably a red dot would be a better option. However if you are set on a scope, something like this Nikon P-223 3x32 fixed power one is not very expensive. You catch them on sale for $149 including the mount. This Nikon scope is a BDC scope you can go online a punch in your ballistic data and get the hold over numbers. The scope is simple, clear, bright and pretty rugged.

+1

Exactly what I put on mine, and for hog hunting.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For hog hunting you don't need much magnification and probably a red dot would be a better option. However if you are set on a scope, something like this Nikon P-223 3x32 fixed power one is not very expensive. You catch them on sale for $149 including the mount. This Nikon scope is a BDC scope you can go online a punch in your ballistic data and get the hold over numbers. The scope is simple, clear, bright and pretty rugged. The Tactical turrets are a bit over the top but I guess Nikon was trying to appeal to the Mall Ninja crowd.

opplanet-nikon-p-223-3x32-rifle-scope-matte-black-w-bdc-carbine-reticle-8496-with-nikon-p-serie-main.jpg

+1

Exactly what I put on mine, and for hog hunting.

I ordered this scope and the mount. Should be in soon and I will mount and sight in and let you know the results.

Top Bottom