what do you guard your property with?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    after a hurricane i place my generator where i would be shooting away from neighbors but still one house is wooden/siding about 30 yards im guessing. i use a 12 ga. mossberg pump with federal #4 buck/32 pellets and it has a big spread at 10 yards. i only have 3 of those left. i found(midway) fiocchi #4 buck/27 pellets @ 1325 fps nickle plated super tight compared to the federal, about a fist and a half at 10 yards. i have loads of 00 buck that i really wouldn't want to use.

im not sure if that nickle plated fiocchi #4 is safe around a wooden house. opinions? should i buy lead bb shot if i could ever find it?

something i noticed when talking guns with people, they don't consider the consequence if one or more of their bullets go into a neighbor's house. im not talking legal stuff, im talking about if that neighbor comes out and pops your ass. can you blame them if you hit one of their family members? all of a sudden you're in a second gunfight.

what firearm and ammo type do you use for this?

about lead bb shot. i did find some hornady 3" but the shell opens up just a tiny bit more than winchester or remington and gets stuck coming out. i stick with 2 3/4" only!

Ijaw

Unknown Camper
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Bayou Tigre, LA
    On my property, my back-up is a 18" double barrel 12 gauge Stagecoach Shotgun, which I normally use for hunting woodcock and quail.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Not trying to argumentative , but the OP was concerned about guarding his property , not scaring hogs . I know he is concerned about hitting his neighbors property but there has to be a better answer .

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If the shot won't go through a little drywall or wood, why would I think it'll go through enough bad guy to stop a fight?

00 Buck for me in a shotgun.... might keep some slugs near by.

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    well that #4 shoots tight so it won't hit my generator. hopefully. o right, well ok. o no i plan on letting the looters shoot me first then hopefully its a gut shot and i don't slip all over my own insides and fall down cause if i could, i would like to shoot them back. law....way.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Not trying to argumentative , but the OP was concerned about guarding his property , not scaring hogs . I know he is concerned about hitting his neighbors property but there has to be a better answer .

I understand that's why I suggested rocksalt or low brass #8, My old dad always said that you never ever want to be shot by rocksalt, I think he may of have been once, He never would tell the tale but I suspect Someones daughter was the root cause?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    this thread is ridiculous.

to guard a generator in your yard- use your cell phone. when crimes happen that don't threaten your life you've already paid for someone else to handle that for you.

Their number is 911.

The alternative? Get some protection in case someone steals your generator and you follow absurd advice to shoot over it. I'd suggest (again) your cell phone. Program the number of a few good attorneys in.... you'll need it.

Alternative #2: big dog.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

to guard a generator in your yard- use your cell phone. when crimes happen that don't threaten your life you've already paid for someone else to handle that for you.

Their number is 911.

The alternative? Get some protection in case someone steals your generator and you follow absurd advice to shoot over it. I'd suggest (again) your cell phone. Program the number of a few good attorneys in.... you'll need it.

That's why I posted my question about the generator or life. You can't shoot someone to prevent theft. Also in life darn near everything in insurable. It's not worth spending in my life in a jail cell just to prevent someone from stealing gas or what ever you think they are doing. But the moment the pose a threat indoors, you better believe I'd go with my round of choice. More than likely a suppressed 230 gr HST, or some buck shot.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I'm for the big dog suggestion, I don't think you have any legal standing in LA shooting someone trying to steal a generator outside your home. Now there is a post claiming you positioned the generator specifically for the purpose of having a clear shot at it. Honestly some quality chain and good locks will do a pretty good job also.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Wow - someone asks for an opinion and you?
    BTW - I have a long chain with lock for my gen!!!

Their number is 911.

Top Bottom