6.5-06 Barrel ID

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charrison21

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Louisiana
    Any help identifying barrel maker. Only markings are caliber and horse head with an F on base of barrel. Rifle has Mauser action and is possible from 1960s-70s. Any info is appreciated.

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    saw this on gunboards.com ;

Back during the 1970's and earlier, a barrel maker in Pennsylvania operated under the name "Federal" and had a small horse head as a trade mark. They were bought out or reorganized as E.R. Shaw I believe. I had a 7x57 barrel installed on a 1909 Argentine action by them and it was very accurate. A picture would help but it may be that someone made up a "custom" rifle as was common at the time

google is your friend

Last edited:

charrison21

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Louisiana
    Thanks bwalke1. I came across that today, but have not been able to match the barrel markings just saw a few posts about the company and maybe one other one called Small Arms Manufacturing Co which may end up to be the same company as the "federal" barrel makers. Again, thanks for the info. If I could ever figure out how to post pics from my Android phone I would put some up.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Even with a manufacturers if, since your gun has no caliber marking, the only safe thing to do is have a chamber casting made.

Top Bottom