WTB Ithaca

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    I am looking for the old Ithaca Police Special (12gauge) in decent shape. I want the model that slamfires. i think its the model 37 (i need to go to sleep i cant think right) also know as the riot shotgunAnyone have one for sale or know where one is for sale?
    Thanks

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    I have several other shotguns, but im not sure why i want one to tell you the truth. I guess its because i dont have one. If you hear of those autions let me know. Ill call jim and see if he still has them and what kind of condition they are. thanks guys

atc26

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2007
    Livingston, Louisiana
    Actually, I have to agree with LSP972 in large part.

I carried a model 37 riot pump on the job for over 20 years and grew to appreciate it, but there is a serious learning curve.

You can expect it to "wake you up" when you pull the trigger. I've never returned from the range after shooting it that I wasn't bruised ... despite how much I leaned into it, etc. Carrying one was optional for us. Many of those who shot it to qualify later refused the pleasure of that option.

The older ones will "slamfire" ... discharge each time you rack the gun if you hold the trigger. But, I've also seen accidential discharges by those who don't pay attention while jacking the shells through the receiver to unload. (By the way, that's not the safe and/or recommended way to unload the model 37.)

But, if you know what you're getting into and learn to safely handle its quirks ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

After I retired I found one in great shape and bought it (Shotgun News about two years ago for $200). Earlier this year you could order a new one from Ithaca for $650. I think Jim's sell for about $400 (fair condition).

Last edited:
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom