Pets are expensive!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    And she's not even my dog!

My grandson has a dachshund ("Cupcake"), about 3 years old. She jumped off a bed and was suddenly paralyzed and in serious pain. My daughter took her to the vet ER where a CT scan showed a ruptured disk at L2. Cupcake underwent surgery ("hemilaminectomy") and now has a 4 week recovery. Since I'm retired the family assumed I would be available to help nurse the dog(!) Also, the assumption seems to have been made (at least by my daughter) that I would help pay the vet bill (~$4000 !!!). I really don't mind helping with the care, even with the bill -- but I reminded my wife and daughter the they were both critical of my other daughter who has for years maintained medical insurance for her pets. A comprehensive policy for Cupcake would cost about $400/year, with a $200 deductible.

Moral of the story: Consider medical insurance for your pets -- it might save you a bundle!

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    That coverage cost if used once a year since I owned dogs would have cost me $24,750. If never used it would have cost me $11,250. I suppose pet insurance is a good thing if you can afford it but I do not know anyone that has it.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I'm going to have to correct you, there. The wrong pet is expensive. I have been surrounded by dogs since I was born and none of ours have ever needed surgery. Just routine shots and deworming. I am truly sorry for you situation. Convince them to pick a stronger, more robust breed and your family should never have to go through this emotional and financial strain again. Mutts make the very best pets. These days, the purer the breed, the weaker the dog, and puppy farms are largely to blame.

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I am very sorry to hear this, and have personal experience with this. When I was in HS, we had a miniature dachshund that jumped off the couch and had the same issue, same surgery. a few months later, the thing jumped off something else and had the same injury again. We put her down. Unfortunately, these dogs are not bred for their robust physical attributes or intelligence. Be very careful that the dog does not injure itself again!

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I'm going to have to correct you, there. The wrong pet is expensive. I have been surrounded by dogs since I was born and none of ours have ever needed surgery. Just routine shots and deworming. I am truly sorry for you situation. Convince them to pick a stronger, more robust breed and your family should never have to go through this emotional and financial strain again. Mutts make the very best pets. These days, the purer the breed, the weaker the dog, and puppy farms are largely to blame.

This.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...The wrong pet is expensive... Convince them to pick a stronger, more robust breed... Mutts make the very best pets...

Good points! <g>. I've got two healthy and happy mutts (rescue dogs) in my backyard, only medical costs (so far) have been for spaying and routine shots/etc. However, my grandkids are seriously attached to Cupcake, so I guess we'll just have to hope for the best.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    That coverage for me, 3 dogs-30 years, would be $270,000 before deductables.

3x400=1,200
    1200x30=36,000

For the surgery this guy is paying for this policy would have paid off and at a minimum prevented a large sudden bill. I'm all about a more robust breed, but if you have a more injury prone breed, the insurance might be worth looking at.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    My free pure bred black lab was initially expensive because I had to build a kennel, fence, and all that good stuff to the tune of about $700.00. Minus all the annual stuff he has cost me little to nothing besides food. He hasn't had any real medical issues. My 3 year old German Shepherd is the same way. Few hundred to the breeder, shots and AKC registration and he's good to go. No heath issues. Just a few KONG replacements because even the extreme KONG stuff doesn't stand up to his bite pressure for long.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    That coverage cost if used once a year since I owned dogs would have cost me $24,750. If never used it would have cost me $11,250. I suppose pet insurance is a good thing if you can afford it but I do not know anyone that has it.

Yeah no. I didn't get insurance for my dog. Too expensive.

I have a friend who is a vet and I now pay maybe 1/4 of what I paid at my old vet.

The only stuff I pay for now is food/treats, an occasional haircut and that's pretty much it.

When I first got her, yeah, she was expensive between the crate, spaying, initial shots, toys and a bed. But now? Now she's the laziest and happiest dog in the world when she finds a good stick or leafy tree branch.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Belle's worth every penny and she even brings me a dog slobbered up Chewbacca !

Attachments

• C-17 SFWB 007 (1024x768).jpg
      C-17 SFWB 007 (1024x768).jpg
      33.9 KB · Views: 51

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I have pet insurance on Krieger and between what they pay towards annual shots, check ups, and the little things that he's been brought in for thus far it's been worth the coverage.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    3x400=1,200
    1200x30=36,000

For the surgery this guy is paying for this policy would have paid off and at a minimum prevented a large sudden bill. I'm all about a more robust breed, but if you have a more injury prone breed, the insurance might be worth looking at.

That fixed it.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    yea, if I had the misfortune to own a dog that was likely to be jumping off stuff and get paralyzed, I would not let it on things.. my mix breed border collies over the years have all been active and busy until the end and none needed anything but annuals.
    rescue dogs, one was 19, other 18 when we put them down, my male is 11 now and female is 2-3 ish.. we are not sure..
    the greyhound, was very cool, and very expensive.. tooth problems, and such.. purebreds are expensive period.

Top Bottom