Research Paper

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    I have to write a research paper in order to finish up one of my classes. I am considering writing it on the failures/myths of gun control laws.

I cannot use Internet sources.

Does anyone know of any articles or books that I can reference? Possibly at a library.

Want to show information about mental health,crimes before firearms were invented, failures of other countries and the consequences of citizens not being able to defend themselves, pro gun statistics, etc...

It needs to be about 10 pages so the more references the better.

I know we discuss all of this but if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Firearms were invented in the 13th century in China, following gunpowder in the 10th century. I don't think you're going to find many primary sources from the prior period.

John Lott's "More Guns Less Crime" may help with modern stats.

You might search somewhere for medieval criminal acts or Roman Empire criminal acts, but I don't personally know of such a study.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    You can reference FBI crime statistics and compare violent crime rates versus other countries. Britain typically has more violent crime per 100k residents than the US. Also, there will be no relevant evidence to find pre-gun, but plenty sans gun. Also, research about the number of mass shootings. Its been a while but there are surprisingly few and I think Purdue (emphasize think) had a study where all but two in recent decades have been in "gun free" or severely restricted gun zones. There should be plenty for only ten pages. For grad school you should use typically 4-5 sources per page written but I'm guessing you'll need a lot less. At Ole Miss we used a database called JSTOR that you could search for articles/excerpts but you should have something similar that would be useful.

Also, don't forget that word has tools in it that will create the footnote/endnote and bibliography reference for you simultaneously now. That can save you a lot of time. If you need more help just let me know.

One final note - is your topic pre-approved? Based on what you said you're making a classic fail grade mistake for a lot of professors (knowing the answer before you research). Using the word failure implies you already have it figured out. Research should begin with a question and the evidence helps you arrive at an answer, not the other way around. I'd consider changing the topic to something like "Are gun controls effective?" or "Does more gun control mean more safety?" and so on.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    John Lott's "More Guns Less Crime" is an amazing resource. But like said above just google stuff and take their sources from journals and books and use those.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom