Combat Dogs Abandoned Overseas

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    That made me sad. I've got friends who have combat dogs, either those they served with or adopted after the fact.

I've always told myself I'd adopt one as well when the time is right. Those dogs may be classified as equipment but they're living, breathing, souls that should be given the opportunity to live out their lives on American soil in a loving home.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Anyone who's ever served with a MWD can attest to the bond that these handlers share with these service dogs. If anything, it CONTRIBUTES to the service members PTSD by abandoning, in some cases, the only companion they had in a hostile environment.

If we can classify and bury these animals with full military honors, or spend the money to outfit them with tactical equipment and protective gear, we can and should ship them home.

Now, playing devils advocate...

Some believe it's no different than a servicemembers Mine-sweeping tools... or certain "consumable" equipment that if it gets left, oh well... we'll get another one when we get state-side. In a country where the powers that be **** so much money away to the crowds of those complaining about spending, I can already hear them saying that the cost doesn't justify the means.

Do I agree with this way of looking at it? Of course not, I have four dogs.

The average cost spent on training these animals can be as high as $40,000. Not including the cost of storing, feeding, equiping, etc. them. The base model Humvee is priced to the government at $70,000... and has a much higher maintenance and upkeep... and we don't just drop them off and hand the keys to someone before the troops board the home-ward aircraft. They don't form emotional bonds with them... and lets face it... a base model Humvee isn't saving anyone's life (for that comfort you need a UAH... $220,000! Yet we will send home a $900,000 MRAP (cost of shipping it back is a LOT more than a 100+ pound dog), to refit it and turn around and just GIVE it to the local police departments.

Spend the extra $2,000 (the price and service these animals have contributed is priceless) to bring them home.

Last edited:

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    This is a ****ing travesty..... but not at all surprising from a military focused on combating "rape culture", tattoos, and actual COMBAT SKILLS.

Un-****ING-believable. What has become of our country? and our military?

The MPs were actually writing up Marines for not having shaves this weekend at the front gates of several bases, including Stumps and Lejeune (verified from a buddy out in J-ville). :help:

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    That sucks. I'm in Australia right now and they actually have a full commission set up to take care of military animals; they get burials with honors and you'll see monuments occasionally.

They just put this one in front of the hospital I used to work at, apparently it's an American dog that used to hang out and be taken around the hospital during the war to see all the wounded taken from the South Pacific.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    The government abandons the dogs over there and abandon the veterans over here......at least they're consistent. They don't care about either of them.

Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    I don't know if it will go anywhere but I emailed Congressman John Fleming, Senator David Vitter and Senator Rand Paul concerning this article and issue. The email that I sent is as follows:

This needs to be addressed: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/09/02/some-combat-dogs-abandoned-overseas

These animals should be considered soldiers and not equipment in the same way that police dogs are considered officers. We would not leave our wounded men and women there and therefore, should not leave these helpless creatures there. If the government can spend countless amounts of the taxpayers money on things that really do not matter, then surely they can set aside the miniscule amount that would be required in order to get these veteran's home.

This is utterly appalling but considering the way in which our current administration treats veterans at home, it doesn't surprise me in the least. I recommend that a bill of some type be drafted that reclassifies these dedicated and highly trained animals as active duty soldiers in the same manner that the police force classifies their animals as officers and bring them home with full military honors when they are retired due to battlefield fatigue/stress, etc. or wounded.

If anyone else wants to send something similar, feel free. Links to their contact pages are listed below:

John Fleming

David Vitter (This one is a little tricky. Once you select an issue, you need to click on the "Click Here" portion of this statement, "OR Click here to contact the Senator about this issue." It will bring up a form where you can type in your own information.

Rand Paul

Why did I include Rand Paul who is a Senator from Kentucky? He seems to be one of the only Senators who has the backbone to push these types of issues lately.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Done!
    You can't tell me these dogs cannot be repurposed somewhere here in the U.S. ! Even if they need to be given new handlers. Station them along the Mexico border at the very least! Prisons I'm sure could use a few dogs. No bombs there but I'm sure them just being there would do something.
    If Obama and or his family would stay home for one week I'm sure that cost would more than cover the return home cost for thos soldiers.

Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    Apparently this exact issue was addressed in 2012. I'm assuming that if it's still happening, it's the military that is not adhering to the legislation.

December 21, 2012
    NEW YORK–The ASPCA® (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals®) today applauds the U.S. Congress for passing legislation to protect military dogs. Included as an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013, the measure provides significant steps for the protection of retired military dogs by streamlining the adoption process and authorizing a system of veterinary care for the retired animals at no expense to taxpayers. The Defense Authorization bill now moves to President Barack Obama for his signature.

This provision was included in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) through the leadership of Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) in the U.S. Senate and Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.) in the U.S. House of Representatives. Both legislators introduced similar legislation to assist military dogs, the Canine Members of the Armed Forces Act, earlier this year.

"Military dogs are true heroes—they play a critical role in our nation's defense," said Nancy Perry, senior vice president of ASPCA Government Relations. "These amazing dogs have been loyal to us in extreme circumstances and deserve to be properly cared for and adopted into good homes after such unwavering service to their country. We thank Senator Blumenthal and Representative Jones for ensuring these heroic dogs' health and well-being is properly cared for."

Military dogs successfully perform many important and dangerous duties that can be difficult, if not impossible, for humans. After years of service, military dogs deserve a safe retirement option and may require expensive veterinary care to treat health issues related to their dedicated service. Establishing a long-term, reliable source of support for that care will ensure that our nation's commitment to the dogs' well-being extends beyond their period of military service. The bill also streamlines the adoption process by standardizing the transfer of retired military dogs from foreign soil back to the United States, where they can be permanently placed into loving homes.

"Military working dogs are so crucial to the safety of our service members, and it is our job to provide them with the love and care that they so honorably deserve when they are retired," said Rep. Jones. "I would like to thank Senator Blumenthal for his leadership in the Senate and all the organizations, such as the ASPCA, who have supported our efforts."

"I am pleased that this year's NDAA will recognize the importance of military working dogs by providing for their care," added Sen. Blumenthal. "These dogs have saved countless human lives through their vital work and deserve to be honored in this way. I thank Congressman Jones and the organizations that have worked so hard to ensure that these canine heroes receive the care they deserve. I will continue to work with these key organizations to ensure that the Department of Defense implements the provisions of the NDAA that will establish standards of care for retired military working dogs, allow for the transport of retiring dogs working overseas back to the United States, and provide for recognition of their service."

Leopardcurdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Hattiesburg, Ms
    Maybe with the upcoming election cycle something can be done about this. I was a L.E. K-9 cop for 10 years, and it's hard to put in words the bond you develop with these working dogs. I plan on contacting the worthless ass politicians that are supposed to represent me, and push them to get something done. Thanks for the heads up on this.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    FYI

UPDATE: Military Responds to Jonah Goldberg’s Article About Military Working Dogs Being Left Behind

[Editor's Note: Last week, we linked to a story by Jonah Goldberg (which we have since taken off the Dogs page) about the plight of some military working dogs (MWD). Goldeberg's article was shared widely and republished in countless media outlets, and many dog lovers were upset about claims that the military abandoned dogs overseas. Not so fast, say the folks at the Military Working Dogs Community, who posted this long rebuttal on their Facebook page. It seems that, at the very least, Goldberg's story was misleading. . . .]

We’ve recently been made aware of poorly written and misinformed news articles circulating that MWDs are being left behind in war zones. This status update from Sean Lulofs should clear up any questions you have:

So many of you have been sending me many different links from numerous national media websites and homegrown blogs regarding the Department of Defense Military Working Dog (MWD) Program leaving dogs in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Please be assured, those stories are false. The DoD has 100% accountability over every MWD in the program. Please also know that it is false that contractors who are on a DoD Contract Working Dog (CWD) contract are leaving dogs behind. The contracts require those dogs to be returned to the contractor upon completion of the contract.

There is Congressional oversight of the MWD program already and every dog which is removed from service must be reported to Congress in an annual report. The report includes not only how many dogs were taken out of service but also how they were removed from service, including all euthanasias.

What is occurring with dogs in the combat theater is that members of the military are taking stray, feral dogs as pets in violation of DoD policy. There have been several members who have become sick because of violating the policy and one even died from rabies. Those dogs are being left behind because they belong there.

Another thing that is occurring is that some contractors have been working with the Afghanistan and Iraq governments to sell dogs to those countries. Some of those dogs sold have been dogs which are extremely experienced and are already in the country. However, there have been very few of these occurrences.

Why is this important to clear up?

Because there are a very large number of media outlets putting this false information out to the public. The public then becomes enraged and begins to contact their Congressmen. Once a Congressional inquiry is opened, it sets off a long chain of events which ends up putting the inquiry into the hands of the DoD MWD Program offices. Those men and women who work in those positions across the four branches of service are very busy. They are the same people who are trying to run one of the most deployed programs in the military. Every time an inquiry goes to one of those offices, everything has to stop and they have to begin the chain of events to respond to the Congressman. This can literally steal over approximately 500 man hours away for one response. Now imagine what is happening when numerous inquiries are being sent in.

There is an approximate 15 month waiting period to adopt an MWD. So there is no shortage of people wanting to adopt these dogs and you can believe that if a dog can be adopted, it is.

So please, if you see these types of stories, rest assured, our MWDs are being properly cared for.

Sean Lulofs
    -Question came in, I feel like a FB talk show host… LOL.

Have CWDs ever been left in Afghanistan?
    - Yes, some have early on in the program. There are many reasons for this. Some CWDs were left in country to await for another handler. There were some CWDs that were euthanized due to medical conditions prohibiting their return to the United States and others were so old that they were in poor health. The CWD contracts used to not be under purview of the DoD MWD Program Manager but now all CWD contracts must be reviewed before they can be finalized for execution.

http://www.orvis.com/news/dogs/update-military-responds-to-jonah-goldbergs-article-about-military-working-dogs-being-left-behind/

Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    Thanks for the information. At least we see from their response that there are enough people out there who care enough about these types of issues to speak out. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been a response. And it seems that our representatives must have actually looked into the issue after they were contacted. That makes me feel better. Now, if only we could get them to take charge and do something about some of the other atrocities that are taking place within this current administration. I can only assume that they are waiting until after November but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    The following is the reply I received from Senator Rand Paul this morning. Note in paragraph four that the Act was not allowed to be considered by the Senate. I can only assume that it was more of Harry Reid's shenanigans that prevented it from being heard.

Subject: Reply from Senator Rand Paul

September 11, 2014

Dear Mr. Bradley,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding recognizing military working dogs. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue.

The U.S. Armed Forces and other government agencies have been using working dogs for a variety of security needs. These working dogs are essential for both military and security operations for their abilities to be used in explosive and narcotic detection, patrols, tracking and scouting.

In February 2012, Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) introduced the Canine Members of the Armed Forces Act (S. 2134). This legislation would change the classification of military working dogs from "equipment" to "canine members of the Armed Forces." In addition, S. 2134 would create a government program to provide for veterinary care for all retired military working dogs.

S. 2134 was not considered for debate prior to the conclusion of the 112th Congress. Rest assured should similar legislation come before me in one of my committees or on the Senate floor, I will be sure to review it thoroughly and keep your thoughts in mind. For further information, please visit my website, http://www.paul.senate.gov. In addition, you may use the website contact form to continue informing me of federal legislative matters most important to you.

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor and a privilege to serve the Commonwealth of Kentucky in the United States Senate.

Sincerely,

Rand Paul, MD
    United States Senator

Last edited:

Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    So is Rand Paul correct, the ASPCA article correct, or the bloggers article correct?

Senator Paul's response dealt with the issue of reclassifying military working dogs from "equipment" to "canine members of the Armed Forces". From what I concluded from the ASPCA article it was their treatment that was being addressed but they were still being classified as "equipment". As far as the article that was published on Breitbart, I'm not sure but it sure was taken seriously by the military as per their response that the article wasn't true and that they were adhering to the ASPCA-sponsored legislation and that everyone should quit calling their Congressmen because they were having to spend too many man-hours responding to the inquiries. If they are, in fact, adhering to the legislation then it's a good thing. If they weren't, then they have now been put on notice that people are watching which should make them revisit their policies to better adhere to the legislation.

Top Bottom