Singer sewing machine repair/maintance in Baton Rouge recommendations....?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I picked up a Singer 201-2 sewing machine at the thrift store the other day.
    Everything works, even the light.

I'm not mechanical, but with a manual I can bang my head on the engine block long enough and fix my car.

I've found manuals online, but they aren't really directed at care and maintance of a 64 year old machine.
    If I could find something detailing care I'd do it myself.

So i thought I'd ask about recommendations for sewing machine maintance shops in Baton Rouge and see if I can get a quote for checking it over and cleaning it up.

-I originally bought it simply because I knew it was worth more than the $30 I gave, and knew I could turn a dollar.

However since this model is considered pretty much the best sewing machine... Particularely for sewing heavy canvas, webbing, and other heavy material.... I'm interested in keeping it for personal use.

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    Good Luck finding a repair shop that isn't more interested in just changing parts and charging you an hourly rate. My wife has a Singer and a Bernina. I've found its almost easier to repair em myself than to bring em somewhere. Oh, and the online manual is the best thing you're gonna find for that machine. If you buy one from a repair shop, it will be the exact same thing.

Good Luck

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    He is not in BR, but there is a guy in Houma who works on machines. I have found him to be a great resource. I don't have his info handy, but I bet a search for Houma sewing machine repair will find him. Or search for Husqvarna repair in Houma.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Nomad, if you decide to work on it yourself pm me and I will send my number to try and help you with it. I spent 20 years working on industrial sewing machines and occasionally home ones. Just pay close attention to the manual indicating the threading and placement of the needle as almost 90% of problems are operator error unless it gets jammed by some means. Don't use any heavy oil as mineral oil is what is used in the industrial ones.

Catinaromine

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2015
    california
    If you try yourself then at first read carefully the instructions and that start repaering. But i think it will be better to take help from a professional expert..

Top Bottom