Best AR for a Starter???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjacobs

SouthernLife
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I am looking to purchase my first AR for hog hunting. I want a .223 and would like to know what's the best I can get for under $1000. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Try as many as you can before buying. You need to decide if you want long vs short barrel, light vs heavy profile, etc.
    For me, light as possible is my goal. I'd have saved some money had I decided that up front.

Brand? I've had good luck w/ DPMS, but I would think most name brands would do as well on a lower end rifle.

Best advice: you don't need to attach every piece of gear you have to your rifle. Keep it simple.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    There can be many answers here. If you plan to spend 1K on a AR15, then your best bang for your buck would prob be a Colt6920. But you do not necessarily have to spend that kind of money to have a nice rifle. There are other AR15 options out there for $500-$700 that are great rifles.

Here is a link to a Bushmaster AR15 that you could get for $449 that has a flat top to put a optic on.
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...t-30-Rnd-449-after-50-MIR-(FREE-S-H-over-500)

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    I've owned Stag and DPMS ARs and haven't had any problems with either, both affordable yet quality brands.

If this is going to be used primarily as a hunting rifle I suggest going with a 20" barrel rather than a 16". The extra barrel length will give you more muzzle velocity (which you want while hunting hogs with a .223) and more sight radius.

Last edited:

blackline29

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 16, 2014
    alexandria , LA
    Spend a little bit extra and get a colt 6920 for $899. You can't beat that price. And in my opinion for a .223/5.56 rifle a 16" barrel is plenty. Shot placement and the ammo you use is more important when it comes to killing hogs with a rifle in 5.56, than comparing a 16in barrel to a 20in. Look at the Barnes tsx bullet 5.56 in 50gr or 70gr or the .223 in 62gr.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/email-specials/6920-16-flat-top-rogers-ret.html#.VApWivldW7Y

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I went with a Colt 6920 as my first and haven't looked back it has performed very well. I did a lot of reading before making my choice and was tempted to go with other good rifle options like psa, Bush master, and stag.

They have so many out there if you decide to go with a cheaper one just make sure you have a rock solid bcg (when I was looking around that's the advice I was given). They have some good recommendation threads on here already as well. Just go to the search bar and check them out or better yet a Google search will yield more options like m4carbine etc.

cjacobs

SouthernLife
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    There can be many answers here. If you plan to spend 1K on a AR15, then your best bang for your buck would prob be a Colt6920. But you do not necessarily have to spend that kind of money to have a nice rifle. There are other AR15 options out there for $500-$700 that are great rifles.

Here is a link to a Bushmaster AR15 that you could get for $449 that has a flat top to put a optic on.
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...t-30-Rnd-449-after-50-MIR-(FREE-S-H-over-500)

Too bad they're out of stock...I would've tried one out.

cjacobs

SouthernLife
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    So anyone have any experience with the Bushmaster Carbon 15? It seems like it's the same as the XM-15 except us has a polymer frame, which makes it lighter.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    The sponsor slickguns.com post different deals often on them. I bought a m&p15 for $529 with free shipping last week. Check daily, I'm sure one will come up soon.

Last edited:

cjacobs

SouthernLife
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I like the fact that the Carbon 15 is light...but how does it hold up compared to a metal frame?

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    DPMS, Bushmaster, PSA, S&W, Stag Arms, DD, Ruger, Rock River Arms, Colt are all good. Go with a 5.56 chamber spec model as a suggestion. Are you going to be walking to hunt them or from a stand? Do you want tactical as well? Do you want a match trigger or std trigger? Do you want std furniture or tactical? Flat top with backup irons? Fixed or Magpul stock? You could build your own but be advised you will then need to join a support group for ar builder rehab:}

cjacobs

SouthernLife
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    DPMS, Bushmaster, PSA, S&W, Stag Arms, DD, Ruger, Rock River Arms, Colt are all good. Go with a 5.56 chamber spec model as a suggestion. Are you going to be walking to hunt them or from a stand? Do you want tactical as well? Do you want a match trigger or std trigger? Do you want std furniture or tactical? Flat top with backup irons? Fixed or Magpul stock? You could build your own but be advised you will then need to join a support group for ar builder rehab:}

Man you just gave me a headache!

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    see if you can go to a store and handle the different configs to see what you want and do research. The nice thing about an AR is you can start with a std model and then upgrade/swap out as needed with basic tools..

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    I'm usually a fan of "Buy Once Cry Once" .. but in my case, "One is Never Enough" better applies.

the conventional Colt LE 6820/6920 is tried and true, though if you save up a few hundred more pennies, a nice DDM or BCM could be had.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    The Colt is close to the top tier and will serve you well. The very best AR brands are well beyond $1,000. Most people do not have need of that level of quality. I would only consider a DDM or HK if I was going to war.
    In any case, the quality of your magazines will be the biggest factor for reliability. Stay away from the cheap GI stuff. Back when I served as a Marine, I bought my own Magpul mags. The aluminum crap was left behind.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    BCM has a great deal running now on their uppers. Grab one that you like and build or buy your choice of lower and you will have done well.

datboyhieu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2014
    Well for my first rifle I got the 2014 fnh fn14 carbine I'm still itching to go shoot some rounds they it just been busy working but I got 1200 ish with tax and stuff but with out tax it was 1100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom