Hunting Camp / Storm Shelter School Bus Conversion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I currently have 5 school buses (non running) and was thinking of scrapping them but, then started pondering on another idea - living quarters conversion. If you do a quick search of school bus conversion you can find some pictures of different styles and what not. This is one I found without much digging that looks somewhat simplistic and with a few changes would make a great hunting camp. Also, a bus could convert into a great storm shelter just as easily. http://tinyhouseblog.com/yourstory/the-novelty-unschool-bus/
    I know the storm shelter may sound silly for South LA but, if you are nearly as safety oriented as my father was in his later years this would be right up your alley.
    So, my goal here is to guage interests of what one might prefer or if the idea even strikes them as something they would spend their money on. Remember, the buses do not run, although I do have somewhat of a connection that could be used to make them run or trade them + cash for ones that do run. That said, I was thinking more of something semi-portable meaning, it could be towed to the location of choice. Also, the wheels could be removed and the bus could sit on a pad or blocked up. The main thing to consider, in my mind, is the durability or the structure itself. A school bus could be made to stand up to the elements for a very long time with very minor work if any at all - depends on what it's purpose will be.

Thoughts? Would something like this peak your interest? Would you sp ND your money on this, if so how much would you be willing to shell out depending on the style and simplicity of design and materials used?

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    That is very true. It could be eleviated though with an insulated roof, some type of window shade, and the area being shaded most of the day. A wood heater could be installed for winter use which if this were to be a hunting camp, winter would be the main time of use.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    The type of idea I was going for is something a little more sophisticated than a tin box camp. Make it comfortable and simple, if that makes any sense.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    I don 't know? Leave the wheels, in case if you ever had to move it? Hang water tanks under it. Insulate the thing. Close off some of the windows to help the insulation. Pull the motor, and use the engine compartment and install a generator there?

rocko

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    Greenwell Springs (Central)
    Hunted out of a bus for 10 years, sheetrock walls and most windows with a metal roof, worked great. Propane heater mounted under the dashboard and added a kitchen and bath outside. Loved it.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Hunted out of a bus for 10 years, sheetrock walls and most windows with a metal roof, worked great. Propane heater mounted under the dashboard and added a kitchen and bath outside. Loved it.
    This is a little more along the lines of what I was thinking. Just trying to make some extra $'s while I'm out of work for the moment. Either they go to the scrap yard or they get converted to something else to bring more profit. If I have the time and ability, why not go for the latter? Jut need to find people that have the $ and are willing to spend it on a "leisure" item, so I need to figure out how to market them.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    When I was a kid and thru my teen years our travel/mobile home was an old shorty bluebird bus my dad got on the cheap and converted real nice. It had plenty of great floor space to work with, plus a decent gauge metal to weld, drill etc. We were right at home. He swapped to a Diesel engine and installed a mobile home generator. An old bus can even be painted camo and hid out in some woods to make a great bug out location or storage. They're awesome. I'd think you're idea would go far man.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Makes me think of the Doomsday Preppers episode where they guy had a bunch of buses converted for living space and buried underground with connecting pathways. Not particularly what you're looking for, just came to mind.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Two buses parked rear to rear? Double the space. Make the first one nice, put the pics on the internet on a DIY page... then list the other three at a good price?

Duke Slade

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    We pulled one deep into the Cat Island swamp years ago, no easy task. In December 1973 it flooded and was under 18 feet of water. When the water went down there was 1/2 inch of mud coating everything inside. But we cleaned it out and used it a few more years. Pulled a "Swat" truck along side w/doors aligned for last couple of years. Flooded again in 83. Ha - good memories, we'd stay back there for 9 days a stech often. Were not nearly as many deer as now. Dogs were used and were pretty exciting as they got closer and closer yelling louder and louder and then hearing branches breaking as the deer and dogs got still closer then busting into sight making for a quick shot and of couse bucks only. Most used buckshot. West Feliciana hunting club kept some 400 dogs. They all had WF spray painted in orange paint on their sides.

Top Bottom