Manual transmissions getting rarer in the US

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I like my manual transmission.

When Marlo Dewing went shopping for a car last year, she only had one requirement: a manual transmission.

"Any car that was only available as an automatic was a deal breaker," said Dewing, 44. "I love to drive. I want to know that I am actually driving, that I am in control of the machine."

That made her shopping list a very short one. Only around 10 percent of vehicles made in North America now have manual transmissions, down from 35 percent in 1980. And that number is expected to keep shrinking, according to the consulting firm IHS Automotive.

Improvements in the function and fuel economy of automatic transmissions have essentially killed the manual in the U.S., says Jack Nerad, the senior editor of Kelley Blue Book. Some of the country's best-selling sedans — the Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima and Ford Fusion — don't even offer manual transmissions because so few buyers want them. Even some sporty cars, like the Jaguar F Type, come only with automatics.

Two years ago, Chrysler was burned when it assumed there would be higher demand for manual transmissions in its Dodge Dart compact car. The car sold slowly. This year, when Fiat Chrysler's Alfa Romeo 4C sports car arrives in the U.S., it won't offer a manual transmission.

When a manual enthusiast questioned that decision at a company event in May, Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said U.S. demand for manuals is simply too limited.

"It's going to be you and four guys. That's my assessment of our market demand," he said. "I'll buy one too, but then it's only going to be six."

Manual transmissions — which allow the driver to select the gear — were the rule until 1939, when General Motors Co. debuted the automatic transmission in its Oldsmobile brand. Initially, automatics were much more expensive and got poorer fuel economy, so drivers looking to economize tended to stick to manuals.

But in recent years, those gaps have closed, Nerad says.

"The manual transmission has become kind of a dodo bird," he says.

Manuals no longer have a fuel economy advantage. The five-speed manual transmission on the 2014 Honda Civic sedan gets 31 miles per gallon in combined city and highway driving, for example, while a Civic with Honda's continuously variable automatic transmission — which moves automatically to the gear most appropriate for the car's situation — gets 33 mpg.

The price gap does remain. A Honda Accord with an automatic transmission costs around $800 more than a manual one, while drivers opting for an automatic transmission on a Chevrolet Corvette Stingray have to pay $1,725 more. But that doesn't seem to have stifled demand.

Driving enthusiasts like Dewing remain manuals' biggest fans, and ensure that some brands will continue to produce them. Dewing eventually settled on a 2012 Volkswagen GTI with a six-speed manual transmission. It's a 210-horsepower hatchback that's popular with enthusiasts; Volkswagen says about half the GTIs it sells in the U.S. are manuals.

Dewing, who has two daughters, says she'll teach them to drive on a manual. But Nerad isn't so sure. He taught one of his daughters to drive on a manual, but may not bother for his other two kids. Manuals are disappearing so quickly that they might not ever drive one, he says.

"Most advanced transmissions shift better than I would do," he says. "It's a natural progression. The Luddites out there are decrying the loss of manuals, but I'm not shedding a tear."

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/09/11/manual-transmissions-getting-rarer-in-us/?intcmp=features

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I love a stick as much as the next guy, but auto is the way to go. They are more convenient, efficient, and provide better performance..... win/win/win

With "manual shift" modes you can even get most of the fun out of it. I love paddle shifting.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    If you want a car that will almost never get stolen, Buy a stick. Most of the younger generation has no idea what that pedal on the left is for. A three on the tree, now that takes skill !!

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I love a stick as much as the next guy, but auto is the way to go. They are more convenient, efficient, and provide better performance..... win/win/win

With "manual shift" modes you can even get most of the fun out of it. I love paddle shifting.

What about cost for transmission maintenance? Ever get a repair bill for an automatic? Both are a HELL of a lot more than a manual.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If you want a car that will almost never get stolen, Buy a stick. Most of the younger generation has no idea what that pedal on the left is for. A three on the tree, now that takes skill !!

true as well

- - - Updated - - -

What about cost for transmission maintenance? Ever get a repair bill for an automatic? Both are a HELL of a lot more than a manual.

stop buying cars with craptastic transmissions.

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    mceuwn6rdt7xuv04xfs.png

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    My first car was a stick, a little VW GTI. (great little car, nor was it my last)
    And I can drive a manual 18 wheeler.

But if you've ever had a broken leg.... You'll know the weakness inerrant to an manual!

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I was at the Zachary Walmart one time gettting a tire on my truck and after waiting too long I asked what the problem was. The guy said he was waiting for the other guy to get back from lunch because he didn't know how to drive a standard. :mad:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Been driving 11 years, never had an automatic. It's not all that great in my truck, but any car I get, I want one, especially if it's a 4-banger.

Sent from my truck doing 85 down the interstate.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I own 3 cars, all manual's. No desire to buy anything else. MUCH cheaper to fix. MUCH cheaper on a fluid change. I can make a clutch last longer than most automatic transmissions, and can change it at home. As far as not buying cars with capitalistic transmissions, when you own a car as long as I do, they will break. I can drive it home if the clutch cable/hydraulic cylinder breaks. A worn clutch gives you plenty of warning, if all the fluid pours out, I could still most likely make it to the next gas station. If a gear strips or wears out, I got 4 more to make it. The only thing that will stop you dead is an input shaft break, and that is very rare in non-performance cars.

I have no desire to switch, I think automatics are for the convince minded and those not able to drive a stick.

screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    I prefer manual transmissions on whatever I get. With an automatic I get bored with every day driving. I can't stand seeing a badass sports car and noticing its an automatic. I was very let down to see the GTR came with an automatic, the upside was the fact it's one of the fastest responding paddle shifting transmissions out there.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Had a '49 Ford with a flathead V8 (three on the tree) - one of my all time favorite vehicles!!

But, this was back in the '60's - I was quite young then, the backseat sure got a workout. Loaned it to my Pop once, he came home, threw my "picnic blanket" in the trash and told me, "gotta get rid of that, boy - it's about to give birth"!!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

That should mean modern autos, not those of even a few years past, for my comment on more efficient. I'd argue that over revving balances out the supposed "1-2mpg" benefit of older manuals anyway, but its just my opinion.

For performance, its just a no brainer to anyone that's worth their salt that autos are king. (just not as fun on the street)

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    For performance, its just a no brainer to anyone that's worth their salt that autos are king. (just not as fun on the street)

For reliability and overall cost of ownership, I would hand it to the manual. You can't do a proper fluid flush on an automatic at home ($$$), and many of the filters are internal. I also agree that overreving is common, and hurts most people's gas milage, but my last 2 tanks in a 99 nissan sentra manual were 38.9 and 38.7. There aren't many vehicles on the market new today that can compete with that.

(Edit) I had to add, until 180,000, When I changed the clutch for $80, nothing but scheduled fluid changes done in my driveway. 207,000 and still no issues except a clutch cable change for $15 (that didn't leave me stranded)

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    For reliability and overall cost of ownership, I would hand it to the manual. You can't do a proper fluid flush on an automatic at home ($$$), and many of the filters are internal. I also agree that overreving is common, and hurts most people's gas milage, but my last 2 tanks in a 99 nissan sentra manual were 38.9 and 38.7. There aren't many vehicles on the market new today that can compete with that.

???

Kbb lists the '14 and '15 cars that are over 40mpg - its 17 models. the list for 30mpg-40mpg is an additional 20.

(i couldnt care less what the mpg is honestly, but I know its a major deal to some people... separate rant)

Simply put: technology wins. autos trump manual for anything but backyard mechanics repairing dying vehicles. welcome to the future.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    While I believe everyone should know how to drive a standard, I got enough of that shifting/clutch-stomping crap when I was a kid. Automatic for this guy. :dogkeke:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I had a 5 speed civic stolen from me 5 years ago...found the car the next day needing a new motor.

Top Bottom