AR10 help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Someone I work with changed out the upper on his Armalite, to a flat top, and said he'd sell me the used upper for $100, so I figured it would be a good reason to have a different gun. I don't need to shot a flea at 1000 yards, just want something else to play with. I found Armalite complete lowers in the $350-450 range, but not sure exactly what else I'll need to put one together. I understand I'll have to have an armalite lower, what about barrel? Anything else not brand compatible? Thanks

JDIZZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Central La
    After the completed lower you are gonna need a bolt carrier group, charging handle, barrel, gas tube, gas block, and free float rail.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Palmetto State Armory has an AR-10 lower for $199.95, with internals but no stock assembly

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-pa10-308-stripped-lower-receiver-with-pa10-classic-lower-parts-kit.html

Or you could get the lower complete for $300

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-10/psa-pa10-308-complete-classic-lower-receiver.html

You would still need a barrel assembly and bolt/carrier

There's a bare barrel at Midway for $248

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/650274/dpms-barrel-lr-308-308-winchester-ap4-contour-1-in-10-twist-16-chrome-moly-teflon-black-with-front-sight?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Bolt and carrier seems to be around $150

http://www.radicalfirearms.com/AR-10-308-BCG-p/308-bcg-mpi.htm

Figure another $100 for a gas tube and flash suppressor, FFL fees, misc, total would then be approximately $800 plus your $100 upper receiver cost. Grand total $900 and your labor.

Last edited:

Kurt D

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Pineville, LA
    OK, first thing you need to know is the Armalite AR-10 does not share many parts with other makers. Guess that could be said for everyone, .308 AR are pretty proprietary. You'll have to look for parts that specify "fits Armalite AR-10." There are also now 2 different platforms with in the Armalite pattern AR-10; Armalite pattern mags/modded M14 mags and SR-25/original pattern mags. Uppers and lowers are not directly swappable. So lets begin:

1) you will need an Armalite pattern lower. These days your only option is from Armalite, in the past Aero Precision, Noveske, and Eagle Arms (div of Armalite) made some. I *assume* the upper is an A2 style, which means you will need to get a lower that uses Armalite pattern/modded M14 mags. I think it called AR-10B now. The upper would have to have some mill work done to be used on a AR-10A (SR-25/original pattern) lower. PSA, etc lowers will not work.

2) Good news is the FCG is standard AR15, so there are tons of options. Bad news is mag catch, bolt catch and pins are AR-10 specific and sourced through Armalite.

3) Stocks: AR-15 rifle buffer tubes are used for fixed stocks, which means you can use A1, A2, PRS etc. stocks. The buffer and spring are AR-10 specific. Collapsible stock use either a AR-10 specific tube, spring and buffer OR standard AR-15 tube with AR-10 spring and Slash buffer. A lot of people go the standard AR-15 tube route so they can use the billions of options out there.

4) BCG is Armalite specific. The BCG needs to be made for an ARMALITE AR-10, not generic AR-10 which could be DPMS pattern. Yes, there are reports DPMS pattern bolts can work and headspace but you are rolling the dice.

5) Charging handle is technically Armalite specific, though there are options. I think DPMS handles can work.

6) barrels are Armalite specific. With an A2 style upper you'll probably want an A2 FSB installed on the barrel. Armalite is the best option here with their infantry profile barrels (light weight profile, chrome lined) with A2 FSB. You could probably rig something custom up with a clamp on FSB as long as the height matches a standard A2 FSB. Again, there are reports DPMS barrels can work and headspace (with Armalite barrel nut). You are rolling the dice here.

7) rifle gas tube is AR-10 specific, carbine I think is standard mid-length (I forget). There are reports a standard AR-15 rifle length gas tub can work but it is shorter than an AR-10 one.

When I built my AR-10 I chose Armalite because they where the only game in town for a forged upper and lower (12 days of Christmas special had a large part too). That made them slimmer, lighter, and stronger that the other options. Mag pattern had not shifted completely to a SR-25 standard. I sourced my parts from Armalite (12 days of Christmas complete upper, mags, and small parts), Gunbroker (lower), DSG (small parts), LaRue (rail and mounts) and Noveske (barrel and scope). Today, I wouldn't waste my time trying to build one, just get a Armalite AR-10A or S&W M&P-10 or DPMS, etc.

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Yeah after research I realized that I needed to stick with Armalite. Didn't realize the barrels were $450-500. I see this isn't going to be as cheap as throwing a plinker ar15 together, especially paying someone to put it together. It's the upper with with a carry handle, which is why he changed his out to a flat top, and offered me the carry handle for $100, so I figured what the heck.

Top Bottom