can a 10/22 be converted to full auto legally

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrmccoy

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    Hammond
    I was looking on youtube and noticed a few full auto 10/22's. My question is what is involved as far as paper work to do something like this?

twistedridge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Gonzales
    You have to have a certain license to hold and possess a fully automatic. I do not know the exact one but to change a gun from semi to auto with out the license is highly illegal and will land you with a federal gun charge if caught. It constitutes something like 25 years I beleive.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    No can do. It would have had to have been converted to FA and registered with the BATFE - NFA prior to the mid-80's ban.

Not entirely correct. You can buy a Registered John Norrel select fire trigger pack and put them into whatever host 10/22 you want. Its not cheap though, I think the last one I saw for sale was around $9K

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    You have to have a certain license to hold and possess a fully automatic. I do not know the exact one but to change a gun from semi to auto with out the license is highly illegal and will land you with a federal gun charge if caught. It constitutes something like 25 years I beleive.

You dont need a license to possess full auto. You do need one to make post-86 machine guns (02/07 FFL/SOT, IIRC), but no license is required to buy a transferrable pre86, just a large chunk of expendable $$$

Doc Holliday

I'm your huckleberry...
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Watson, LA

Not true:

Possessing a FA, suppressor, SBR, SBS, or AOW only requires a tax stamp per weapon/item. Also, you cannot legally convert a non-FA weapon to FA; it has to already be in the NFA Registry (unless it is an already registered trigger pack).

mrmccoy

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    Hammond
    thanks richard thats what I was thinking. So it is possible to legally own one with enough $$$$$. You gota love the "you will go to jail" people.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Of course, 200 is a drop in the bucket considering the cost of the kit. :o

Yeah, if you want to get nit-picky, dont forget the dealer transfer fees, finger print card and passport photos are extra too :o

Yes they can, but can only sell to LE or Govt. But no one is making anything for the 10-22.

Nike is still making shoestrings :o

(no, not legal, but some people might 'get' what I'm referring to)

Zack3g

Full Auto is fun!
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2007
    Lafayette
    if you're going to spend the 9k on a 10/22 trigger pack, just get a RR M16 and a .22LR conversion for it.

you'll thank me.

mrmccoy

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    Hammond
    I don't think I will be spending 9k on any type of firearm for a long time. I was just thinking 22lr would be cheaper to blast away then any other round. The m16 with a 22 conversion does sound better but still will not happen for a long time.

Top Bottom