My Kel-Tec KSG Upgrades and Tips

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    This is my quick tips and tricks or review for the Kel-Tec KSG Bullpup Shotgun.

4ubyryda.jpg

Tips for the KSG:

1. Keep your arm clear of the ejection port... it WILL bite you.
    2. In order to feed properly every time, RACK THE HELL OUT OF IT. It's easy to short stroke
    3. If you plan on putting a vertical forward grip on it, I would STRONGLY recommend equipping it with the extended bottom rail. It is made of aluminum and reinforces the polymer rail tremendously. If you don't buy the lower rail, I would suggest the AFG2 instead of the AFG1 (it doesn't fit properly without the extended bottom rail) and NOT the VFG. There are PLENTY of instances of the polymer lower rails breaking when using the VFG.
    4. The KSG has a smooth barrel (no rifling)... so remember to buy rifled rounds.
    5. It is chambered for 3" rounds... and will hold 13 total... with 2 3/4", it holds 15... I've also read that with Mini Slugs it holds 25. There were a few instances of feed or ejection issues, but I've read more positives than those who've had issues.

Recommendations:

1. I would STRONGLY recommend the metal followers for the feed tubes to replace the factory plastic followers.
    2. Talon Grit overlays (Sandpaper) on the grip and the forward slide if you do not use the AFG2.
    3. The extended lower rail allows the AFG2 to fit better (it hangs off if you don't have the extra length in the rail. By "extended", it really only adds three or four slots, but it extends it forward to match the top rail.
    4. When and if you place the AFG2 on your KSG, be very careful how far back you slide it. It will prevent the full travel of the slide when racking and the rounds will not chamber.
    5. TEAR IT DOWN AND LEARN EVERY PIECE! Not just the recommended "tear down" or field strip... remove the barrel nut and take it down to the bare bones. You will gain an appreciation for the weapon and it's construction. Not to mention the ability to lube it up for better functionality.
    6. The snap-on Kel-Tec cheek riser... may seem thin and useless, however, I added an adhesive neoprene pad to the riser. The reason I recommend the riser? So I wouldn't have to stick the neoprene pad directly to the weapon.
    7. The single-point sling attachments... enough said.
    8. The extended top rail... Sight picture with iron sights or optic improve tremendously when you have the added rail section to work with. With the factory rail, rear sights seem too far away when attempting to sight in a target.
    9. Feeder tube screw tool - I would recommend purchasing the tool to remove the feeder tube screws. It's not a basic screwdriver (though one can be used), and it will not damage the screws.
    10. Loading can be a pain in the ass. Once you're familiar with it, don't worry... it will STILL bite your fingers every now and then. There are small retaining brackets that hold the shells in place and prevent them from all ejecting at once... when sliding the rounds past these brackets, it has a tendency to grab the skin on your finger. Like I said, you will develop a technique on how to do it and avoid the pain... but it will still catch you every now and again.
    11. Forget about drop ins... you're not just going to rack this weapon and drop in a round for firing. By the time you rack it, then turn it upside down, drop the round it... then rack it back while its still upside down (the shell will fall out) whatever you're shooting at is either stupid for sticking around, long gone, already put 4 or 5 rounds into you, or on top of you.

As for the flash hider... eh... it looks better than the flat snub nose barrel, but other than that... it looks better. :)

Lastly, I would recommend a Remington Limb Saver on the stock. It's not necessary, and it doesn't look pretty, but it does help.

Wish List:
    1. I wish it would auto-feed when fired.
    2. I wish it came with a decent set of iron sights.
    3. I wish it ejected slightly forward instead of straight down.
    4. I wish the barrel nut wasn't so damn hard to get off.
    5. I wish field stripping was easier (less involved). For example... make the Feeder tube screws a simple twist and remove... or pinned.
    6. I with there were addition padding or options for a thicket stock pad.
    7. I wish the retaining brackets on the shell tubes didn't pinch the crap out of your fingers.
    8. I wish the lower rail was not polymer.

Final Thought:

Great shotgun and home defense weapon. You WILL need to practice with it and learn its tolerances. This is not a pick up and fire weapon. It has a great, semi-light trigger and is very controllable overall. If you're interested in home protection primarily, fill it up with buckshot... 12 to 25 rounds is enough. The only thing I didn't add to mine was the extra 14 round side-saddles. If you need to reload, you've got a lot more problems than home protection.

I personally have never had live fire failures... When I first purchased it, I read up on some of the issues others had and spent some time running rounds through it (just racking the weapon) to experience them for myself and made adjustments to correct for them before I ever took it to the range. Initially I did have ejection failures until that eventually ceased, which I can attribute to either learning the technique, amount of force, etc. while racking or the slide tolerance wear and tear that eventually removed any failures.

Hope this was a decent representation or review of the KSG. I tried to lay it all out and not be biased. I do love this weapon though... it does come with a nice supply of cuts, scrapes and bruises until you "learn" how to fire it and avoid them.

Modifications Done:

1. Hi-Tech Flash hider (Why not?)
    2. Tandemkross Metal Followers (Definitely a plus and helps when loading)
    3. Kel-Tek Single Point Sling Mounts (I prefer single to other slings)
    4. Hi-Tech Extended Top Rail (Must have if you ever plan on actually using the sights)
    5. Hi-Tech Extended Lower Rail (Must have if you want to use a lower grip)
    6. Remington Limb Saver Pad (Not a necessity, but it does help)
    7. Kel-Tek Cheek Rest (only use because I didn't want to stick the neoprene pad on the weapon itself, now I can remove it easily as needed)
    8. Neoprene Cheek Rest Pad (Comfortable)
    9. Talon Sandpaper Grips (Secure positive control of the weapon)
    10. Magpul AFG2 (Though the AFG1 fits with the extended bottom rail)
    11. Hi-Tech Extended Tube Selector (no fumbling, easy to locate and operate)

Last edited:

BIGGREEN

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    THANKS!! I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and looking forward to take it down, lube it up, and cycle a few rounds through it this weekend. I loaded it with 15 2.75s just to cycle through them and get a feel for the weight. Looks to be a fun and formidable weapon. I was thinking about a forward grip but wasn't sure which one to get, you saved me time and money.

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    so i bought mine yesterday. Kinda nervous because I'm not overly familiar with kel tec. More or less I just saw the gun online and said, damn I want that thing its cool as ****. First issue i had: Cannot rack the rounds into chamber. Brought back to Jims Firearms and the gunsmith says your not doing it right and shows me that I have to rack the dog **** out of it. I'm ok with that but what bothers me is he said, "It's just like any other gun that needs to be run a little bit and then it will eventually be smooth." I have to call bs on this. I see how this is the case with say a 1911 where you have metal parts mating together but if a pump shot gun requires a certain amount of effort to rack it then it will always require that. I really like the gun for the bull pup design but from a home defense stand point I'll have to do some testing before I pull my glock off of duty for now. I read several articles about home defense shot guns and all said don't chance it stick with the 870 express tactical which I don't think anyone in here will disagree with, but I own an 870 bird gun and I just wanted something different. In the end the only thing I wish I could change is the rack point for the gun. Wish I could mod it to rack sooner without pulling it so far back. Oh well, maybe I'll get use to it.

Untranslate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2012
    Are you recommending this thing of trying to warn us off???

Personally I bought a Vepr 12 and I love the @#$% out of it.
    I got mine for $799 but you would have to wait till the price comes down.
    It is mag fed so reloading is quick and easy with no finger biting.
    Mags are easy to load. (5, 10, and 12 round mags available)
    design is simple and easy to clean.
    No pumping.
    ease of use allows any one to use it: wife, kids, that monkey with the AK

The only negative it does not like low powered shells until it is good and broken-in but that is temporary.
    Relative to the KSG it is not a bullpup, But for a hundred or so you could make it 922r compliant and use the folding stock.
    oh, Mags can be pricey.

F1VEPR12Z.jpg

image from: aimsurplus

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Are you recommending this thing of trying to warn us off???

Personally I bought a Vepr 12 and I love the @#$% out of it.
    I got mine for $799 but you would have to wait till the price comes down.
    It is mag fed so reloading is quick and easy with no finger biting.
    Mags are easy to load. (5, 10, and 12 round mags available)
    design is simple and easy to clean.
    No pumping.
    ease of use allows any one to use it: wife, kids, that monkey with the AK

The only negative it does not like low powered shells until it is good and broken-in but that is temporary.
    Relative to the KSG it is not a bullpup, But for a hundred or so you could make it 922r compliant and use the folding stock.
    oh, Mags can be pricey.

F1VEPR12Z.jpg

image from: aimsurplus

Honestly I'm just not sure right now. I broke it down last night and oiled it up good to eliminate that as an issue. Once I get to the range and test it out I will come back and let you know how i feel about it. Can't recommend yet. Checked out Vepr, looks awesome. Can't beat that gas piston system.

Untranslate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2012
    Vepr 12s are reappearing on the market. Right now they are right around a $1000 but i expect prices to drop as supply increases. I went though the trouble of adding the US parts and cutting the weld on the folding stock of mine. folded it is good for storage or transportation but it is about as practical as other pistol grip 12Gs. It is defiantly a large weapon and now matter how you fold it it will never be a carbine.
    I replaced to trigger with a tapco g2 single hook as part of the 922r compliance. It is about the same as any other ak trigger job except i had to remove more material from the trigger to accommodate the axis pen retaining plate and the bolt release. I also had to remove a little material from the front of the hammer to keep it from rubbing the front trunnion. now that know just what to do i could complete it a 15 mins.

nugsy714

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    US
    Good review I learned a few things about my beloved KSG

How about the extended tube selector? Definitely a must get in my book. I have the 14 Round Top saddle on mine but when it is full of shells it likes to shift position on the rail because it is a clamp fit rather than having sections to fit into the rail, if you're going to run one I would suggest red Loctite also it adds a lot of weight when full of 14 more ounces of ammo

Mine had considerable trouble running birdshot, the only bird chat I would recommend is Federal Bulk pack 3 dram with the mini brass bases. I had a lot of them stick in the barrel and the ejector slip If you experience this issue you can use a diamond hone on the barrel and then go back over it with 2000 grit sandpaper to polish it out. Also I replaced the ejector and the ejector spring it runs like a dream now and eats everything.

Top Bottom