Sawyer Point One Emergency Water Filtration Kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I've been reading up on larger volume fitration kits and the Sawyer Point One seems to have excellent reviews. It attaches to a 5 gal bucket (not provided) but has the standard .1 micron fitration level (meaning that it gets almost everything except viruses). It's also gravity fed so no pumping. Rated at about 500+ gal/day so that is much faster than my Katadyn Pro but not as portable. This would be used mainly for house or camp use not for hiking. Does anyone have experience using this system?

What are your thoughts on needing the added fitration down to 0.02 micron to get out viruses? The 0.02 is much slower and triple the price. From what I've read, fitration for viruses are not necessary in the US.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    That is what I use when backpacking. It is light and easy to use.

On my first trip I was hiking with a guy that is a water filtration engineer. That is what he carried and talked about how good it is. That was all the assurance I needed to buy the same for my pack. I am not sure how it works with gravity feed and a 5gal bucket but in about 10 mins (estimated never timed) I can get about 4 liters of water filtered with no more effort that squeezing toothpaste out a tube. Carrying this filter and the syringe for back washing sediments out is still less weight than a lot of pumps that are not as good.

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    We used the Point One in Alaska to filter some Tundra Pond water- yellowish water to crystal clear. The Army guys we were hunting with were amazed- they had been using a Katadyn Expedition bag filter and were drinking the clear yellow water. I said, "no way I will drink yellow water- I work in a hospital lab and know where yellow water comes from......"
    The .02 filter might come in handy if ebola becomes endemic to the US because of burying all the bodies......... I have one JIC we have to filter a lot of water for a lot of people. Our church invested in 6 of them for helping out the neighborhood in case of a water boil/shortage.

264Win

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    We used one for a two week Volunteer in mission trip to Guatemala also distributed ten to families in need of clean water. Works good if it slows just back flow the filter with a supplied syringe. Supposed to be capable of filtering a million gallons of water. We used the point .o1 filter it is good foe all bacteria but nor viruses.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I bought one several years ago and have the 5 gal bucket set up. This would be for home/family use. It's in the "emergency supplies" cache.

joeg26er

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2023
    NE FL
    We used the Point One in Alaska to filter some Tundra Pond water- yellowish water to crystal clear. The Army guys we were hunting with were amazed- they had been using a Katadyn Expedition bag filter and were drinking the clear yellow water. I said, "no way I will drink yellow water- I work in a hospital lab and know where yellow water comes from......"
    The .02 filter might come in handy if ebola becomes endemic to the US because of burying all the bodies......... I have one JIC we have to filter a lot of water for a lot of people. Our church invested in 6 of them for helping out the neighborhood in case of a water boil/shortage.
    wait what? Whos burying that many or any ebola victims in the USA?

joeg26er

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2023
    NE FL
    also- where does yellow water come from?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    wait what? Whos burying that many or any ebola victims in the USA?
    This thread is nine years old and is mostly outdated at this point as water filter tech has definitely improved in the past twoish years.

Top Bottom