Ebola Is Airborne, University Of Minnesota CIDRAP Researchers Claim

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Grendal

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Metairie
    http://www.inquisitr.com/1541821/ebola-is-airborne-university-of-minnesota-cidrap-researchers-claim/

Ebola Is Airborne, University Of Minnesota CIDRAP Researchers Claim

Ebola is airborne, according to a new report by the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota. Researchers at the university just advised the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) that “scientific and epidemiologic evidence” now exists that proves Ebola has the potential to be transmitted via exhaled breath and “infectious aerosol particles.”

University of Minnesota CIDRAP scientists are now warning both health care providers and the general public that surgical facemasks will not prevent the transmission of Ebola. According to the airborne Ebola report, medical workers must immediately be given full-hooded protective gear and powered air-purifying respirators. CIDRAP has reportedly been a worldwide leader in addressing public health and safety concerns and preparedness since 2001.

An excerpt from the CIDRAP report reads, “Healthcare workers play a very important role in the successful containment of outbreaks of infectious diseases like Ebola. The correct type and level of personal protective equipment (PPE) ensures that healthcare workers remain healthy throughout an outbreak—and with the current rapidly expanding Ebola outbreak in West Africa, it’s imperative to favor more conservative measures.”

The University of Minnesota report goes on to note that any action which can be taken to “reduce risk” of Ebola exposure should not wait until a “scientific certainty” develops. “The minimum level of protection in high-risk settings should be a respirator with an assigned protection factor greater than 10. A powered air-purifying respirator (PAPR) with a hood or helmet offers many advantages over an N95 filtering facepiece or similar respirator, being more protective, comfortable, and cost-effective in the long run,” the CIDRAP report also adds.

The working theory about Ebola transmission currently being uttered by the CDC and the agency’s director Thomas Frieden, is incorrect and “outmoded” according to the University of Minnesota CIDRAP report. “Virus-laden bodily fluids may be aerosolized and inhaled while a person is in proximity to an infectious person and that a wide range of particle sizes can be inhaled and deposited throughout the respiratory tract,” University researchers concluded. Background information detailing why CIDRAP believes the CDC and WHO are function under an outdated mode of thought when it comes to how infectious diseases are transmitted via aerosols is also included in the new report.

“Medical and infection control professionals have relied for years on a paradigm for aerosol transmission of infectious diseases based on very outmoded research and an overly simplistic interpretation of the data. In the 1940s and 50s, William F. Wells and other ‘aerobiologists’ employed now significantly out-of-date sampling methods (eg, settling plates) and very blunt analytic approaches (eg, cell culturing) to understand the movement of bacterial aerosols in healthcare and other settings. Their work, though groundbreaking at the time, provides a very incomplete picture,” the report said.

According to CIDRAP researchers, early aerobiologists were unable to measure small particles near an infected person and therefore made an assumption that such particles existed on far from the source and airborne transmission could of happened around 3-feet or so from the source.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1541821/eb...cidrap-researchers-claim/#Wj12zAKkCIgaeJl4.99

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    They've been saying this since the infected doctor was flown into the states from Liberia.
    Maybe they want things to get so bad that people will beg for them to save us all any way they can. Or maybe our Government and the CDC and other federal ABC entities have all become as incompetent as any other third world country...
    Something tells me that they know exactly what they're doing.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Very sad that we cannot trust our news media or government, so things like this we wonder if they're real or not:
    http://m.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/279361722.html

(I'm pretty certain there are more people infected than admitted, from piecing together from people I know, as well as the way certain people seem to have "dropped off the grid")

I understanding not inciting panic, but there is also a duty to let us know the scope of the threat. (much less spreading knowingly inadequate instructions for self protection/not transferring the disease.)

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    All that group has done is confirm what's been said all along (look at the other thread on this and you'll see where I said it here). It can be transmitted through aerosolized bodily fluids via inhalation (or settling on this body membranes such as eyes, gums etc). This is bad in that it is more easily transmitted but good in that (as of now) it cannot survive outside of a bodily fluid. Means that it's only transmittable as far away from the infected person as the aerosols stay afloat and only after a sneeze, vomit, bowel movement, etc.

Not downplaying it at all, believe me (I'm flying tomorrow to DC and back Monday and won't be traveling public until this blows over, or blows up), but it's good to know the real truth, unclouded by the question of semantics.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    can we stop all the delusional panic?

its not airborne, and sneezing/coughing aren't symptoms anyway. Contrary to what the silly circus leads you to believe, its much harder to catch than is being promoted. You're far more likely to catch the cold- wash your hands and don't screw the ebola patients and you'll be just fine. I'm not downplaying a lethal virus, but I am saying please at least discuss it intelligently.

Please be smarter than MSNBC, as I know almost all of you are.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Very sad that we cannot trust our news media or government, so things like this we wonder if they're real or not:

(I'm pretty certain there are more people infected than admitted, from piecing together from people I know, as well as the way certain people seem to have "dropped off the grid")

I understanding not inciting panic, but there is also a duty to let us know the scope of the threat. (much less spreading knowingly inadequate instructions for self protection/not transferring the disease.)

If any of those people on that Frontier flight with Amber Vinson gets the virus all hell will break loose. These traitors the morons elected will not be able to conceal that if it happens without killing the entire family. Not that the thought wouldn't cross this corrupt bunch's mind.

I doubt very seriously the American people (the smart ones anyway), will stay in line like nice obedient dogs for these scum if the scenario above comes to fruition.

Here is a peek at my latest addition of corrupt government rectification devices. :p

I like vintage arms! Call me old fashioned!

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la

its not airborne, and sneezing/coughing aren't symptoms anyway. Contrary to what the silly circus leads you to believe, its much harder to catch than is being promoted. You're far more likely to catch the cold- wash your hands and don't screw the ebola patients and you'll be just fine. I'm not downplaying a lethal virus, but I am saying please at least discuss it intelligently.

I am not panicking myself, but I don't believe the two nurses screwed the Ebola patient.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I am not panicking myself, but I don't believe the two nurses screwed the Ebola patient.

they came in direct contact with his bodily fluids and waste - on a related note, both are doing just fine. The largest factor in the first guys death was going so long without care.

Influenza related complications kill up to 50,000 americans a year and we have a thread of people saying they refuse to get a shot.

Ebola is brought from overseas and infects 2 nurses who are (as of this post) doing fine, and everyone loses their freakin minds.

Just an observation.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    they came in direct contact with his bodily fluids and waste - on a related note, both are doing just fine. The largest factor in the first guys death was going so long without care.

Influenza related complications kill up to 50,000 americans a year and we have a thread of people saying they refuse to get a shot.

Ebola is brought from overseas and infects 2 nurses who are (as of this post) doing fine, and everyone loses their freakin minds.

Just an observation.

This guy's on key. I'm no medical professional, but from everything I've read, you pretty much have to come in direct contact with bodily waste from an infected person to contract Ebola. Sure, it's a horrific disease if you manage to get it, but it's actually fairly hard to get. The only reason it got to be such a big problem in Africa is because in those areas, they don't believe in traditional medicine. Tribal leaders were telling the people that the doctors were the ones actually spreading the disease. Here in the US, we're modern enough to realize that if momma's shitting herself to death, she needs to go to the hospital, not stay home and infect the rest of the family :rolleyes:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Just an observation.

This guy's on key. I'm no medical professional, but from everything I've read, you pretty much have to come in direct contact with bodily waste from an infected person to contract Ebola. Sure, it's a horrific disease if you manage to get it, but it's actually fairly hard to get. The only reason it got to be such a big problem in Africa is because in those areas, they don't believe in traditional medicine. Tribal leaders were telling the people that the doctors were the ones actually spreading the disease. Here in the US, we're modern enough to realize that if momma's shitting herself to death, she needs to go to the hospital, not stay home and infect the rest of the family :rolleyes:

Both good points! However, this inconsequential outbreak you two are citing is being swiftly addressed by the feds. All this great follow up, contacting the people these "two" were in contact with, their families, disinfecting their homes. Great full blown concerted effort. Realy nipping it in the bud!

What happens if/when more people get it? How about if it spreads to some Podunk towns by happenstance? Do you really think the feds will empty the treasury when dozens of people scattered around the country have it.

I assert that these 2 are the lucky ones! If this were (and I know it is hypothetical), to develop into a widespread infection; watch how fast all the government compassion and swift response dries up and we are left to wonder what people are wondering today.

Skepticism is not panic. Prudence is not panic. Preparedness is not panic. Questioning these idiots in government is warranted!

I don't care how it's transmitted! I don't want around me in any form; sh*t, spit, sweat, p*ss or vomit!

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Skepticism is not panic. Prudence is not panic. Preparedness is not panic. Questioning these idiots in government is warranted!

I don't care how it's transmitted! I don't want around me in any form; sh*t, spit, sweat, p*ss or vomit!

Exactly.

If one person gets infected and shits in a public restroom, cooks dinner for his family or friends, etc., that's it, it's out, and the cost and struggle to contain it grows exponentially. Not to mention if a few more africans manage to get on a few more planes.

I don't care if I know I'll survive, I still don't want to be deathly ill and have to quarantine myself and everyone I've come into contact with for weeks/months.

The tinfoil and ******** about ebola being some big government lie is embarrassing and pathetic. I will choose to listen to competent physicians and not the youtube video wackos on this one.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge

Like the fact that outlets are reporting the LSU NCBRT staffer that just came back from Ebola training in Liberia is under quarantine when it's purely voluntary and precautionary?

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    And everyone is all "blah blah blah, thousands of people die from the flu every year" well good for you, get your flu shot and don't worry about ebola. I'm sure you put all your food in a blender too because you're more likely to die from choking on food than from the flu. And it's pretty hard to prevent stroke, cancer and heart disease too. But none of that changes the fact that we can actually control and prevent ebola from spreading if proper procedures are followed, nobody has to die, nobody has to be quarantined.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)

Honestly, the Ebola itself is not enough to make me panic; but the fact that the CDC and hospitals reacted so poorly to a virus who's mechanism's of transfer are well known that two out of 70 health care workers that cared for the patient caught the disease is. That is a 2.9% failure rate. Then the CDC clears a symptomatic nurse to board a commercial aircraft. This is the stuff that makes me panic, and I don't feel it is delusional. I'm pretty confident that we won't have a large scale outbreak in the US, but if the actions of the last week are any indication of how our government organizations are going to handle things when the excrement hits the oscillation device for real, we are screwed.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I'm not concerned about the two in Texas with Ebola. Ebola in Africa is an ocean away. Doesn't worry me.

Wait, . . .

This time next year we're gonna see a major outbreak in South/Central America, where the healthcare system isn't going to be able to contain it. People are going to flee. Refugees. Sick Refugees. Guess where they're going to head, . . .

That's what scares me.

Think about it.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Let's say for example some middle east radicals decide to infect themselves with Ebola, or something else, enter the US and run their snotty symptomatic stuff on the sample cookies at a few grocery store bakery counters in the US, and there is an outbreak in a couple schools. This alone is unfortunate, but could be dealt with. But from what I've seen this last week, the CDC would be clueless as to how to proceed, try to pass the blame to someone else, the lie to us about it. This is where my panic lies.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    tinfoil.jpgthumb-costume-silver-surfer-or-aluminum-foil-man.jpg

There we go!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads