Martial Arts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TerryK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Albany, LA
    Thumbs up for Krav Maga, but I'm biased having trained it. I've trained some other stuff and there is a big difference between most M.A. and self defence. I say try Krav if that's ultimately where you want to be and don't worry about being out of shape.

Last edited:

rasputin

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Plaquemine
    I'm going to my first BJJ class tomorrow at 36. It's my first martial arts class period so I'm pretty excited. He also teaches Muay Tai twice a week too.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I just walked in from karate tonight. Good workout! Tired... thanks rasputin for ressurecting the thread.

We did something a bit different tonight. Our partner tied our hands behind our backs (accompanied by various 50 shades of gray comments!). Then we ran kicking drills, then trying to kick a moving target. Finally we ran half a dozen katas while tied up. That was an eye opener! All I can say is to try it... it was different, and educational.

rasputin

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Plaquemine
    Well day 2 in the bag. He taught arm bar from the mount and triangle choke from side control. The class was small tonight, so I got more one on one time with him. This is turning out to be one of the best decisions I ever made.

I have done alot of weight training and thought I had good conditioning, but no.

I'm having trouble with the easy stuff, but that's normal.

BayouBorn01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    New Orleans
    I think the biggest practical value of BJJ is getting back to your feet.

This is true. You don't want to do only BJJ because your goal on the street is to stay OFF the ground. Japanese ju jitsu (aiki jitsu family) has some useful material. I would take Krav Maga over Karate or Taikwondo. Karate is generally too stiff and rigid. TKD kicks are powerful but kicks have resulted in KO's only 10% of the time in MMA. Kicks can be good for crowd control but you generally want to limit their use and not kick above waist height. They're best used to strike the groin or knees, or to sweep.

I think the instructor is almost more important than which style. If you guys know a real master in town, please pass along the info.

(No offense to the karate guys. I'm from a karate background myself ;) )

Last edited:

Klmpilot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    Algiers Point
    I'm in the Krav camp. There really isn't a better style out there for quickly ending a conflict, taking on larger or multiple attackers, getting off the ground, weapon defensive techniques (knife, handgun and long gun, sticks). You'll get real experience sparring opponents of various sizes, and you'll always get a great workout. The style was invented to be brutally effective, and easy to learn quickly by people of all size, shapes, and ages. I got my rear handed to me in my first class by a fifteen year old girl that I had 100# on.

If you can find a school near you, and make two classes a week you'll see improvements quickly, and learn valuable techniques in your first class.

Last edited:

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    If you are in Baton Rouge I suggest you check out Wall to Wall Martial Arts. The head instructor is at least a 3rd degree black belt in judo and he has high ranks in other martial arts as well. I am not sure of his training. Our judo club here in Lafayette are good friends with his clubs in the Baton Rouge area. They are good guys and very skilled. They have the highest number of judo black belts in Louisiana in their club and that is not because they are a belt factory. Every one of his shodans knows their stuff and earned the belt they wear. You would be doing yourself a great disservice if you are looking for a school and you didn't at least check out Wall to Wall.
    http://www.wallmartialarts.com/index.html

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I hadn't looked back on this thread in a while- thanks for the reminder. I'm still going 3 days a week. I've made blue belt in shorin ryu. Its been great. My katas still suck, but I've enjoyed the rest. We don't spar a lot but its enough (probably a good thing- I end up bruised and battered every time!).

BTW, the Karate world tournament is at the NO hilton around 8/6 if anyone is interested. I'm not competing this time but will be going to watch and cheer on my dojo members. Its fun watching the teenagers. And a few of them are ranked in the top 10 nationally.... I think the dojo is ranked in the top 15 overall.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm still doing shorin ryu... great workouts. I'm testing for orange belt in a few weeks. On top of the karate 3 days a week I'm swimming at least 2 days. Not loosing much weight (not really trying to loose) but in much better shape (thinking of switching to sumo training :) ).

We cover a lot of things not really mentioned in most karate classes- ground work, joint locks, weapons, etc. Good stuff. There are openings in the adult class if anyone is interested pm me. age and condition not a problem. PM me if interested. We're in Kenner, btw...

Top Bottom