first ar need advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thebayoushooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Metairie
    Im in the market for an ar 15 type rifle 5.56 and ive been Looking at lots of brands Ive narrowed down my price range to 700$ or less. Ill be using the gun for range shooting with the gf would like to maxamize my money. Looking at the new armalite défenders as a option but im open to suggestions any help would be great thanks in advanced. Ive been using this as a start http://www.slickguns.com/product/ar15-rifle-comparison-700-or-less

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Lot of good choices in that list for the money. I've done several PSA builds and they have been great. I you'd be very happy with any of those...Many are the same for the most part.

thebayoushooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Metairie
    Im not above buiding à gun to save money and get à better gun thoughts on a lower ill def take Another look at the psa wish they were not sold out.

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Have your money and FFL info ready and wait. Black Friday is about to be here and there should be some great deals going on.

Keep an eye on slickguns.com , PSA and Primary Arms. Don't be afraid to piece something together.

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    For $700, you can learn the weapon inside and out by buying an upper, lower and parts kit... build it yourself! Take your time and learn what each part is for and the nomenclature for every piece. You'll appreciate the weapon more, not to mention you can customize it to your liking. Try different grips, hand-guard systems, barrel lengths, optics, pistol or rifle setups, etc.

Once you purchase your first black rifle, you WILL want to do everything mentioned above anyway... why not start of knowing everything you can know about your weapon? Though it may seem complicated, the AR-15 is a very versatile and easy platform to maintain, modify, customize, etc.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    If you're in the Shreveport/Bossier City area I'll be happy to help you build one. I've built a couple & have all the tools.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Have your money and FFL info ready and wait. Black Friday is about to be here and there should be some great deals going on.

Keep an eye on slickguns.com , PSA and Primary Arms. Don't be afraid to piece something together.

With Black Friday coming up, I'd try to work a few hours of OT and buy a colt.

thebayoushooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Metairie
    Im Located in metairie thank u doug king jc ske and jasari i have à lot of tools so building it is Looking better and better i check slick guns daily not in a rush i just want à good accurate rifle to add to my collection ill look into building From a kit i knew i would Probbly be told build just was hoping other wise. Psa Seems to be the consensus.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I'm about to build a couple myself. I got the Aero lowers a couple weeks ago. Seems like it will be cheaper and a good learning experience as said by kingfhb. Also, don't be afraid of using punctuation occasionally.

WrenchGuy

ARmed ARtisan
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Good comments here...can't go wrong with Palmetto Sate, got some great deals there recently on both a complete upper and complete lower, just added a BCG, charging handle and sight...no tools necessary.

Building from scratch is great too, but I recommend receivers from www.aeroprecisionusa.com ...great quality, and suppliers to a handful of well known quality brands that cost a lot more. (they do .308 ARs too :rockon:)

Either way is great, just remember to have a lot of fun!

Glock23FULL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2014
    Baton Rouge LA
    Im in the market for an ar 15 type rifle 5.56 and ive been Looking at lots of brands Ive narrowed down my price range to 700$ or less. Ill be using the gun for range shooting with the gf would like to maxamize my money. Looking at the new armalite défenders as a option but im open to suggestions any help would be great thanks in advanced. Ive been using this as a start http://www.slickguns.com/product/ar15-rifle-comparison-700-or-less

Windham weaponry got good prices and I heard good things about them they used to be bushmaster employees or something like that

thebayoushooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Metairie
    Wow. Thank you everybody for all the help. Keep em coming. So far its Looking like building a psa black friday spécial. Again thanks to everybody. But keep it coming.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Anderson Manufacturing $40 lower at Primary Arms. Guys on another forum are scooping them up and seem to be pleased with the quality.

As mentioned, many like the Aero receivers. They've been running a daily deals promotion with different items discounted.

Also, the S&W M&P has been mentioned many times here as a quality rifle at an affordable price. There's one on slickguns for $529.

Here's some unsolicited advice, mid length!

thebayoushooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Metairie
    Def Gonna do mid length Probbly get complete upper and complète lower. Psa top aero lower Gonna look till cyber monday hâte to over pay. Thanks again

Top Bottom