This is another if the SHTF, which rifle would you choose thread, with restrictions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitesquirrel44

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Lafayette Area
    Ok, I have read a number of these threads on this and other forums and I don't want this to turn into another reliable AK vs accurate AR argument. So I'm going to eleminate those from your choices.

Lets say there is a national catastrophe such as an economic collapse, EMP, plague, or other disaster on a national scale that wipes out all the food in the stores and the scope of it prevents FEMA & Federal government from swooping in to help the poor folks. People would be evacuating the cities in search of rural areas to find food and water (Me included). What rifle would you grab as your second choice, or what would you grab for a liberal neighbor who suddenly has seen the light, or your wife who thinks black guns are "Ugly", or for a young teenager.

I'm going to eleminate some weapons because they are obvious choices:
    NO AKs or any variant.
    NO ARs or any variant.
    NO M14, M1a, Grande or 30 Carbine.
    NO military specific rifles, either in use, was used, or was designed for, such as FALs, SKSs, SCARs, AUGs, PS90s or anything like that.
    NO Military bolt guns, such as 1903s, 1917s, Mausers, Mosin Nagants & Enfields,
    NO 12ga pump or auto Shotguns.
    NO Scoped Deer rifles.
    NO Ruger 10/22s, all other 22s are acceptable.
    NO 50BMG rifles (lets keep it real).

I know this limits your options but that's the point. What's left you ask, Combo guns, Lever Actions, Scout rifles (Like the Ruger or any non-scoped commercial bolt gun), 22S, Keltec Sub2000 or SU-16, Mechtech CCU, Marlin Camp, Beretta Storm, Rossi Circuit Judge or single shot with the 3 interchangable barrels and pump action rifles. You don't have to choose from this list, if you can think of something else, I like to know.

If you would like to include handguns as backup to the rifle in this discussion, that's fine. I think a Glock 22 or 23 with a Lonewolf 40 to 9mm barrel would be the best handgun choice even though I hate the grip angle of the Glock. I much prefer an XDm but Glocks are more common. I don't want this to turn into another Glock vs 1911 argument either.

I'm going to eleminate some handguns as well, UNLESS paired with a carbine rifle:
    NO 1911s or any variants.
    NO Glocks, XDm or M&Ps.
    NO 92FS or M9s.

I own most (not all) of the weapons on the restricted lists and want to know what's left as a good choice and why you think so.

Remember, this is a "what if" discussion and I'm not going to sell my FALs to buy a Rossi combo barrel single shot and a TT-33. Also, I'm not going to be walking 10 miles a day with a 70lb pack after burying my gun in mud with no cleaning supplies and have to shoot zombies. I just want to know what weapons would be a good alternative to have. If I could get a modern drilling with 12ga, 308 and 22lr barrel, I'd like to know.

Last edited:

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    A sharp stick for me and a sign for my wife that reads; will work for food. Every little bit helps.

Sorry. . You limited my options to the point that i have nothing left in the arsenal.

KvichakKing

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Walker, LA
    Marlin 1894 44mag which goes great with my revolvers, as well as my 280AI bolt gun to keep folks a bit further back from the house I know it's cheating according to the rules established but it's a caribou rifle not for deer:cool:.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    This is another if the SHTF, which rifle would you choose thread, with restri...

Well since you are making me reach into the back row of my safe to lend to someone I'll grab a Browning BLR in .308 with 4X Leupold or Remington pump 760 with buckhorn irons in .30-06.

My my backup I'd take my HR 700 .22mag.

Handgun will be one of my
    Sig P22somethings that I feel like choosing.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Why do you have multiple non reality threads on several boards and start another one here?

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    I think there are enough options that are better than AKs and ARs to make them not obvious choices...for example I'd take a Sig 556 or 556xi or Beretta ARX100 over any AR that's not in the $1400+ range, and a Sig 556R over any AK that I can think of. I think you're better off using funds as the limiting factor. Also, if your wife thinks black guns are ugly, paint it pink for her, big deal. Lastly, why would you be stocking up guns for neighbors that are anti-gun? I thought the whole reason to have an apocalypse would be that we can finally be rid of those people. :p

...but since you've limited my choices so much, I'd have to pick up a loaf of bread with a rope tied to one end so I can swing it at people like a medieval ball & chain type of weapon. That way, you can eat part of your weapon if you get hungry enough. This cuts down on extra weight since you have to carry food around with you anyway, so you might as well combine your weapon and your food into the same object, right?

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    Your list of exclusions eliminated my entire inventory with the exception of my BP pistols. At this point I think I will just grab the crossbow, and y'all can call me Darrel.

dad-e-o

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Ponchatoula
    I never answered one of these scenarios, but it really is not too difficult for me. A Savage 99 chambered in .300 Savage with open sights backed up by a S&W 586 - .357mag and two TC Contenders - a scoped 30-30 and a .410. I can be relatively effective with all of these.

whitesquirrel44

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Lafayette Area
    Why do you have multiple non reality threads on several boards and start another one here?

I said I read them, I never said I started one. They are all the same, AK, AR, AK, AR, my AK is more reliable then your AR, my AR is more accurate than your AK. I can shoot a nats ass at 1000m with my AR, I can bury my AK......

The discussion was trying to start, was to find out what firearms you would NOT want to leave behind. One what would be good to have in your group. I never said I was going out empty handed or that I would not have one of the restricted rifles on my person. Taking whatever I can get my hands on, is obvious and hard to shop for beforehand, I should have put that on my restricted list.

Thank you to those who bothered to answer my question.

The contender is a good idea. I think you can get a rifle stock for them. Of course most barrels are 15" or shorter but in a post-apocalypse world, that won't matter. Rifle or pistol, centerfire or rimfire, easy to change barrels, and very accurate. Good choice.

My Savage 30-30 over 12ga. would make a good rifle to have in the group, especially if I'm carrying an AR. Plentiful ammo, 2 shots that would kill medium game or a person, and the shotgun would be good for bird hunting. Down side is that it's heavy and hard to switch between barrels in the ready position. However, that with a good 22 pistol such as a Walther P22 would make a great pair for hunting purposes.

A Rossi that is a copy of the Win. model 62, shoots S,L,LR and breaks down to two pieces, No detachable mag to loose, fits easy in a scabbard or backpack, is light weight and accurate. Unfortunately I bought the Taurus which only shoots 22LR but I would hate for it to get left behind.

I was wondering if anyone would mention a 357 revolver. Ammo, 357 magnum and 38 special, are plentiful. Revolvers are very reliable and easy to teach someone how to use. Paired with an IMI Timberwolf or Lever Action would make a good choice. I don't know of any autoloading 357 magnum rifles but I do know that someone made a bolt gun in that caliber. I think it was Ruger.

I know a guy who is left handed and didn't want a bolt gun, not even a left handed one, so I recommended a Remington 7600 police model in 308 Win. Detachable box mag, floating barrel, and common caliber. I also recommended the Glock 22 with the extra 9mm barrel and he bought both. I found him some 10 round mags and see-thru scope mounts for his new rifle. I think these, along with a 20ga. shotgun he already had, were great choices for him.

These are the kind of responses I was hoping to get.

I saw at the beginning of the year that someone was making a 30 Carbine style rifle in 9mm that takes the 92FS mag and someone else was making a triple barrel shotgun. Other firearms may have been introduced that I'm not aware of yet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom