"WARNING" Do not bring yours firearms to On Target llc in Kenner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    On target firearms in Kenner is a rip off company. Do not bring anything to john. Have first hand knowledge of the unprofessional way he runs the business and the lies that he tells about what he does and doesn't do to a firearm. Friend of mine just got screwed on a rifle stock coating job. John said 3-4 weeks took 9 weeks with several lies about the job. Friend finally got stock back and got it home and coating started peeling and scratching off after 1 day. Said he baked it and preped it properly. That's was a lie. Called cerekote and they said if it was baked it would not do that. Friend tried for a week to contact john with several calls and emails hasn't talked to him. John with on target does a lot of gun shows mostly in Kenner and has a booth. Do not give this man the time of day. My friend is in the process of going through the small claims court process. This is not the only complaint about this man and his work. My fellow shooters please stay away from this guy and his BS. This has happen recently.

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    Yep it's bad. I can't believe somebody would run a business like this. I've seen stock and it's bad. One of my best friends and everything we heard about on target is true.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I can not find where On Target llc possesses an FFL. They don't advertise it on their site, nor do they make mention of it anywhere with regards to retaining firearms, shipping to them for work being done, etc. In order for the business to have kept, or receive (shipped or otherwise) that firearm for 9 weeks (or even more than 24 hours) they are required to have a FFL, maintain and log all firearms transactions, store them in a secure area overnight, etc.

Maybe the feds caught up with them or another disgruntled customer called them out or reported them. Could be a reason for the disappearance.

Also, the website hasn't been updated since August.

Last edited:

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I agree he is very sketchy to deal with. The work he does to most guns is horrendous at best. Ugly as sin coatings and designs he comes up with. My friend had a shotgun done through him for a restoration. He was told around 6 weeks for the project to be done. Wound up going over 6 months before he got it back. Numerous calls were unanswered and he kept getting the run around. Lied to way too much.

I had a lower coated by him about 3 years ago. Just the shadyness when I had to deal with him for that got me not wanting to go back.

Some of the god awful jobs he has done. Too many perfectly good guns ruined.

http://www.ontargetgunsllc.com/photo-gallery-2.html

http://www.ontargetgunsllc.com/photo-gallery-1.html

Last edited:

NINmm2k

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    River Ridge Louisiana
    Thanks a lot to everyone so far who has responded to this thread. Its time this guy be outed for what he is, a sham. Its because of my experience with John Gauthier at On Target llc. in Kenner this thread was started. My experience started Sept 23, 2014. I wanted a cheap Hi Point rifle stock coated in cerakote, with 3 specific spots masked off to be left black. Was told by John cerakote was not possible on the cheap plastic, he would have to use an air dry coating not a bake on. I was assured the coating would be very durable but he would not recommend I drag it along concrete. I had no intention of going to that extreme, and trusted he knew what he was talking about with coatings. I was quoted 3-4 weeks. Middle of 4th week I sent him an email to chk progress. A few days later I get an email stating stock is prepped and he is mixing the color I want. I again in my reply told him the color I'm looking for and the 3 spots to be masked. Two weeks pass and no phone call. The 3rd week past dew date I took a day off work and showed up at the shop (surprise surprise he was). He tells me he had trouble getting the air dry to look right and he decided to go with a bake on instead. And it still was not finished. He refuses to tell me what kind of coating he used. Finally a month past his quote he tells me to come pick it up. I show up and the 3 spots that were not supposed to be coated were now coated. Now he has to coat the 3 spots black. Next night I show up to a half lit room, cant see a damn thing almost. When I got it home it looked like a 5 year old masked of the black spots. Nor did the black match the rails now. So now the good part comes. When I applied double stick tape on the coating to mount a pressure switch it pulled the coating right off like nothing. I can drag my nail across the stock and pull the coating off. Krylon sticks better. He says its bake on, cerakote says there is no way. Well needless to say he wont respond to emails or phone calls. So my last message to John was I wanted my money back plus money to cover a new stock or I will see him in small claims. Well a week later 11/25/14 and no response. Its nice to have a board like Bayoushooter to get the word out about crooks like this. I will be taking John to small claims soon so all input and help is welcomed. Any additional legal advice would also be welcomed. Email is open for response. Pics will be posted soon.

NINmm2k

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    River Ridge Louisiana
    viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]
    viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]
    viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]
    viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]
    viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]
    viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]
    62y4jvbq9smtflmf7y.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    d3ykojgg5gvuf5nr92m.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    8q9fysrjnhfyvb8lewwd.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    n3a3vinvwnbfdtcn73yf.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    0rj3n62rh9efcgirjb2w.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    8wzzfkyxogjv5sq5w7vz.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    I can not find where On Target llc possesses an FFL. They don't advertise it on their site, nor do they make mention of it anywhere with regards to retaining firearms, shipping to them for work being done, etc. In order for the business to have kept, or receive (shipped or otherwise) that firearm for 9 weeks (or even more than 24 hours) they are required to have a FFL, maintain and log all firearms transactions, store them in a secure area overnight, etc.

Maybe the feds caught up with them or another disgruntled customer called them out or reported them. Could be a reason for the disappearance.

Also, the website hasn't been updated since August.

Didn't try that hard.
    http://firearm-dealers.findthebest.com/l/41858/On-Target-Llc

Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    I have the opposite experience with John. He has done 3 guns for me and I could not be happier with them or his work.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk 2

NINmm2k

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    River Ridge Louisiana
    I have the opposite experience with John. He has done 3 guns for me and I could not be happier with them or his work.

Apparently you got lucky. "Friends take care of friends" I guess. The pics don't lie . If anyone wants a video of me using my finger nail to remove the coating I will be happy to send or post to YouTube. I will also be happy to provide a pic of the work order and receipt with the On Target letter head. Apparently his phone and internet has been shut down also. He is M I A. No response.

NINmm2k

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    River Ridge Louisiana
    I heard he no longers owns on target Llc ?

When did this happen? Up till 2weeks ago he was taking credit for all the work done. And throwing his buddies under the bus for all of the screw ups. I have never talked to someone before where it is 100% bullsh*# that comes out their mouth. Till I met John. If he is not the owner anymore he still plays like he is. And he is still doing something over there. He' surely not coating stuff like he takes claim to. I would fire him.

dtchb

8 mag
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Kenner La.
    I had a freind tell me he read on face book on target page it say's former owner on target Llc

Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    Apparently you got lucky. "Friends take care of friends" I guess. The pics don't lie . If anyone wants a video of me using my finger nail to remove the coating I will be happy to send or post to YouTube. I will also be happy to provide a pic of the work order and receipt with the On Target letter head. Apparently his phone and internet has been shut down also. He is M I A. No response.

I was not calling you a liar, just stating my own experience.

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    3 newbies and an ex employee bashing a local business that has been operating for 5 years without a single complaint that I know of, without another side to the account of what has transpired.
    Is that what these forums are for?

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I heard he no longers owns on target Llc ?

According to the Secretary of State website, John Gauthier, is a registered agent, which is usually an owner.
    https://coraweb.sos.la.gov/CommercialSearch/CommercialSearchDetails.aspx?CharterID=856499_QKH62

And if you're too lazy to click the link, this is copied from the site:

Name Type City Status
    ON TARGET, LLC Limited Liability Company KENNER Active

Previous Names
    Business: ON TARGET, LLC
    Charter Number: 37131713K
    Registration Date: 8/31/2009
    Domicile Address
    #54 27TH STREET
    KENNER, LA 70062
    Mailing Address
    #54 27TH STREET
    KENNER, LA 70062
    Status
    Annual Report Status: In Good Standing
    File Date: 8/31/2009
    Last Report Filed: 10/3/2014
    Type: Limited Liability Company

Registered Agent(s)
    Agent: JOHN GAUTHIER
    Address 1: 2424 MAINE AVE.
    City, State, Zip: METAIRIE, LA 70003
    Appointment Date: 8/31/2009

Officer(s) Additional Officers: No
    Officer: JOHN GAUTHIER
    Title: Member
    Officer: RACHEL GAUTHIER
    Title: Manager

Amendments on File (1)
    Description Date
    Appointing, Change, or Resign of Officer 9/23/2009

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    I didn't start this forum to bash on target it was started to let people know how this business is being run. To do this kind of work and charge for it then do not have the decency to answer for his work that's why it was started to warn people about how me and my friend has seen how it was handled. And yes he does do chp classes and have heard good things about classes and gave him a shot at doing coating. Unfortunately his work is not as good as his classes. This thread would have never been started if John would have responded to the numerous phone calls and emails of this terrible job he's done.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom