Real Estate Agent questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    My biggest question regarding all this is WHY do people think they need an agent? They search realtor.com and other sites for homes just like you can and cannot tell you anything you can't find out yourself in a few minutes on the internet. They're like the financial advisers or insurance agents of the real estate world. Serve no real purpose other than to take your money for things you can easily do yourself.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    The money will be paid either way, generally the buyers agent and sellers agent split the commission so its no money out of the buyers pocket. We have been searching for land for the last few months, my agent gets me the surveys, weeds out the flood zones I don't want, property history beyond what realtor.com shows, and she has brought me a few properties that aren't listed yet. As a seller I have heard of agents agreeing to the 2.5% or 3% commission if they sell it on their own and the full commission if another agent brings a buyer. I have gotten tired of looking at properties so my agent sends me the new ones as they pop up, definitely worth it to me to have an agent.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'll third (or is it fourth now) the Greg (gbundersea) recommendation. Absolutely can't recommend him and Danielle highly enough. We sold our last house and bought our new house with them, Greg went above and beyond in all aspects and made the whole process much easier and prevented us from making any mistakes. Definitely recommend getting a buyer agent, and definitely recommend it being Greg.

Radney - I disagree, the internet has helped create the "danger zone" as I like to call it, the place where you have plenty of tools at your displosal to provide false confidence that you actually know what the hell you are doing. Same can be said for your financial advisor and insurance broker analogy. If you feel like your real estate agent/financial advisor/insurance broker is a waste of money, you don't have a good one.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    My biggest question regarding all this is WHY do people think they need an agent? They search realtor.com and other sites for homes just like you can and cannot tell you anything you can't find out yourself in a few minutes on the internet. They're like the financial advisers or insurance agents of the real estate world. Serve no real purpose other than to take your money for things you can easily do yourself.

The buyer's agent does not take any money from the buyer.

If you want to make some technical convoluted argument that the buyer pays the sale price, and the seller pays the buyer's agent fee from that price, and that somehow you'll be able to negotiate a cheaper price if you don't have a buyer's agent, well good luck.

Even if you are skilled at finding a house yourself, your agent will at a minimum be an intermediary through which you can negotiate the sale, and should be able to help you in the inspection process, etc.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My fiancée and I bought our first home back in July. We're on the Northshore in Mandeville and our real estate agent was a huge help. Given the amount of bologna we had to go through, I'm glad we had an agent. It almost turned into a lawsuit in the beginning :eek3:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Hire an agent for the same reason you'd hire a plumber or an electrician- they're doing something that you don't have time for, and you don't have nearly the amount of experience and expertise as them in.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    There is absolutely no reason to not get your own agent if you're buying a house listed with a realtor. Even if you build in a growing development that has an agent on sight you still want your own. It doesn't cost you anything.
    And talk to an insurance agent on the flood costs. Your realtor should be able to recommend someone to you. No need to shop around on flood. The only variations I've seen is when the agent was willing to lie on paperwork or put in incorrect information. Only had one of those experiences and steered clear.

I've got a guy on the north shore I use but I believe he only works with investors. I can check with him if Greg doesn't do business that far out and you need someone.

Top Bottom