SBR worth it...???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Landry308

Class 3/SOT/Houma LA
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Houma
    Do it. It's alot of fun. Very portable. With the right ammo very effective. If you get a silencer, you still have the same length as a 16" barreled gun. I should be posting some pics soon.

Landry308

Class 3/SOT/Houma LA
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Houma
    Maybe if you're going to use FMJ. Then it would depend on the weight. I'd say 1x9 if you're going to shoot 69gr on down only. You want the bullet to de-stabilize when it hits, so it'll tumble. If you're going to use soft points, it won't matter much. Mine has 1x7 twist and it shoots all weights well.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    If you accept the sbr as a close range weapon, perhaps as a replacement for a pistol caliber subgun, you will be happy with it. The only thing about my 9.25" is its obnoxiously loud. A silencer is a must.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Do it. It's alot of fun. Very portable. With the right ammo very effective. If you get a silencer, you still have the same length as a 16" barreled gun. I should be posting some pics soon.

Does a silencer extend effective range (by lengthening the barrel)?

Or does it hamper it?

Just wondering :)

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    It does neither. Bullet velocity is the same with/without. It may change the point of impact since hanging a one pound weight on the end of your bbl tends to change the harmonics. Mine seems to shoot the same with/without but I don't generally open it up past 100 yards.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I have no idea. If you ask me I'll say the type that goes bang! I load up with the cheapest ammo I can find. Bullet placement is far more important than all that other BS.

But if you really want to know, why don't we set up some ballistics gelatin Mythbusters style and find out? We can set it up at Sherburne range. I'll provide the weapons, ammo, and video camera if someone else can make a block of ballistics gelatin. 100% serious.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I have no idea. If you ask me I'll say the type that goes bang! I load up with the cheapest ammo I can find. Bullet placement is far more important than all that other BS.

But if you really want to know, why don't we set up some ballistics gelatin Mythbusters style and find out? We can set it up at Sherburne range. I'll provide the weapons, ammo, and video camera if someone else can make a block of ballistics gelatin. 100% serious.

I want in on this. My 11.5" barrel should be here *any day now*

Anyone got a link to some cheap ballistic gelatin? I thought that stuff was kinda expensive?

Landry308

Class 3/SOT/Houma LA
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Houma
    In a short barrel(10.5), what type of ammo could I use to have a successful impact and fragmentation at 50 yds?

Here is part of a post I made on another thread, may help you:

The question is if the 5.56 is adequate for our (civillian) use. Of course it is. Who said we were restricted to the projectiles that the military uses ? Load the 5.56 with one of the following: Win 64gr SP "deer bullet", Sierra 65gr SPBT, Hornady 70gr PSP, any Barnes X bullet, etc, etc, etc. Now it's not so ineffective. Any of these will cleanly take out a deer with decent shot placement. Will do the same on people.

If you don't handload, any 55gr SP should do fine out of 10.5" gun. MV should be about 2700-2800. That should give you effective range of 150-200 yds.

BayouBocephus

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Here is part of a post I made on another thread, may help you:

The question is if the 5.56 is adequate for our (civillian) use. Of course it is. Who said we were restricted to the projectiles that the military uses ? Load the 5.56 with one of the following: Win 64gr SP "deer bullet", Sierra 65gr SPBT, Hornady 70gr PSP, any Barnes X bullet, etc, etc, etc. Now it's not so ineffective. Any of these will cleanly take out a deer with decent shot placement. Will do the same on people.

If you don't handload, any 55gr SP should do fine out of 10.5" gun. MV should be about 2700-2800. That should give you effective range of 150-200 yds.

That is the exact excuse info I was looking for...thanx:D:D:D

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I want in on this. My 11.5" barrel should be here *any day now*

Anyone got a link to some cheap ballistic gelatin? I thought that stuff was kinda expensive?

I don't have the patience to read all this right now but it sure looks like a recipe to me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_gelatin

I've been watching Mythbusters a lot lately. They pour it in a mold, let it sit in a frig overnight. Then boom. Sometimes they even suspend bones and things in the gelatin. They also sometimes use dead pigs for ballistics testing but I think it might be hard to get someone to volunteer a dead pig.

Landry308

Class 3/SOT/Houma LA
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Houma
    A box full of dead nutrias works well, but gets messy;)

Top Bottom