Lafayette fishers, rainbow trout are now available

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Gday all. Just thought I'd post here for any fellow Lafayette area fisherman that Girard Park has been stocked with rainbow trout as of today if theres anyone interested. I'll be there in the morning trying to catch (and release) my first freshwater trout for sure! If anyone else is out and sees a funny looking guy that talks funny fishing, that'll be me. Feel free to say hi and good luck!

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Fresh water trout fishing is the best fishing I've ever done. I used to go up to Sierra Nevada on opening day when I lived in commifornia. Walked for miles in crystal clear streams with snow on the banks seeing no one else but deer and bears.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    My son and I had no luck. There were lots of other anglers out there and based on talking to some of them, these things are not the easiest to find. A few guys got a couple of bites but nobody landed one in the couple hours we were there.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Use salmon roe for bait! If you can't find that; try dark colored "crappie Bites" or in the extreme; get some plastic worms (the kind with the ridges), like these

in orange or red and cut them in the size of an airsoft pellet (you may have to spray some type of fish attracting scent on them). These fish are out of their natural element, but that is the food they will recognize.

Use a very small treble hook (the smallest one you can find), and only bait one hook under the smallest cork that will suspend the setup.

They will congregate in the clearest and coldest water. They are not cloudy water fish; they avoid that at all costs. And don't look for them nearest the bank.

Last edited:

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Besides the salmon roe http://www.amazon.com/Balls-Fire-Orange-Deluxe-1-5-Ounce/dp/B003CU53ZW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418931256&sr=8-2&keywords=salmon+eggs

There are techniques for using flies with bobbers on regular casting rods for those without fly rods. Also try tiny shrimp / shrimp larvae flies, tiny crawfish and streamers or small minnows.

Also probably the #1 bait for them, up here in still water anyway, is regular old worms or night crawlers.

The problem with this^ is they are not alone! I'm assuming they were tossed into a regular pond full of pre-existing inhabitants like bream, bass, & catfish. No regular worm or night crawler is going to make it past them. ;)

Last edited:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I used to fish the Colorado river a lot. When we ran out of salmon roe we used little balls of Velveeta cheese. Actually worked better than the real stuff.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Been out a few times and managed to get some each time. These things fight so much better than bass! Tried nightcrawlers to start with the first time, and couldn't get past the damn bream. Didn't have any luck til I put on a beetle spin, and that's the only thing both myself and my better half had any luck with. As expected though, my first trip out there were people everywhere keeping everything they caught, even with a 5 fish per person per day limit. There is supposed to be another release both this month and next, so still plenty of time for everyone to get in on the fun.
    Average size of the one's we've managed to get. All were released safely
    10356327_10204741209986802_8151395159606079028_n.jpg

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'm curious as to why you decided to release them. This is a put and take one time fishing opportunity. These fish will not survive after winter is over. Please understand that I am not being judgmental or anything like that.

Hey, if he doesn't want them, that is fine. What I think he is lamenting is the greed of the others. Of course, that part NEVER surprises me anymore.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    I understand your view there. To be honest, the first time I wasn't sure if I'd even catch any so didn't take an ice chest so had nothing to keep them in. And after seeing the greed of everyone out there I wasn't sure if there'd be any left the next time I went. Will keep a couple for sure when they stock it again this month as I haven't tried trout yet.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I understand your view there. To be honest, the first time I wasn't sure if I'd even catch any so didn't take an ice chest so had nothing to keep them in. And after seeing the greed of everyone out there I wasn't sure if there'd be any left the next time I went. Will keep a couple for sure when they stock it again this month as I haven't tried trout yet.

Keep what you think you and yours can eat without having to waste or freeze them; and regardless of the limit. If it's 5 fish, and you can only eat 3; keep only 3! If you are good at catching more than you can eat, look for someone in the crowd who's not, and who doesn't appear to be a greedy sack of s**t, and offer them to them. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom