HVAC - Electric Heater Repair

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Are there any HVAC experts on BayouShooter? I know little to nothing about electricity and even less about HVAC. I'm a Civil/Structural guy.

Background:
    My house is 2 1/2 years old, but we moved in less than one year ago. Totally electric; can't get gas lines if I wanted to. The electric heater is located conveniently in the center of the house, not far from the attic entrance in the garage. Most of the attic has decking and I can access the heater myself. Opening the return air grill, I can see the heating elements in the duct.

Problem:
    I set the thermostat to 70 two days ago and the house would not warm up. The blower runs fine, but no heat. So I checked the breaker, yesterday, and neither the 60 or 30 amp breakers were tripped. One of the "DIY Troubleshooting Tips" suggested I check the return air filter. It was hardly dirty, but I replaced it anyway. Next step I took, was to turn both breakers off, wait 10 minutes, and turn them back on. Still no heat. I don't want to attempt to disassemble the heating element, but I was wondering if anyone had any solutions as to what it might be.

My only other idea to check the heating element, was to run the system for an hour, shut it off, open the return air grill and shoot the heater coils with my infrared thermometer. :rofl:

Pocket

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Sewanee, TN
    Since you "know nothing" about electricity best bet is to get a friend that does and can read a wiring schematic and test for 240 AC power to unit and at the heating elements. Also check for control power at unit. Should be a relay with control power on one side and 240 AC on the other.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

stag0608

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Luling, La
    It's a York. It's not control power problem. It's probably a relay or sequencer. If it's only 2.5 years old it's still in warranty.

Top Bottom