Help from S&W gurus please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Trying to find a more accurate value for my .44 mag and every place I've looked so far hasn't helped me nail it down at all, varying by $600 or more. I understand that the value has been increasing lately, similar to some of the Colt pistols, which I figure explains the broad figures I'm seeing. So far I've only looked online. I know someone who should be able to give me a solid current value but have not been able to contact him. Any leads or educated guesses as to a true value would be greatly appreciated. (Pistol without the optic and mount of course)

Mod 29-2 .44 magnum with nickel finish
    8 3/8" barrel
    It's been a safe queen for about 25 or so years, hunted with a few seasons and most likely has fired less than 100 rounds.
    I would consider it in 95+% condition

0a7e6d7bba25c90ebaf6400f942323cc.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    An expert (not me) would prolly want to know if the original grips and rear sight were available. Also, detailed pics with the above parts installed would be essential to an educated estimate. I have found the forum named after that particular manufacturer to be quite helpful.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    As hd said...

Start from the top and work down:
    As New, unfired, with box, papers, tools: $1200-1300 (see: gunbroker completed sold auctions**)

Deductions:

Fired and cylinder turned: ($250)
    No Original Box, Papers, tools: ($150)
    No original grips: ($75)
    No original Sights: ($100)

Total Deducts: ($575)

Estimated value: $625.00-$725.00

**462366539, 449405757, 454202966, 457683930, 453563582

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    I think trigger is right on, $6-700. It's hard to photograph nickel guns as there is a lot of reflection and swirls. Clean it up with Mothers mag polish. You'll get top dollar by placing it on gunbroker if you're looking to sell. The aftermarket stuff really hurts it.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    With original grips, and rear sight installed, in the factory mahogany presentation case $900 to 1100. That's what I would price mine at if I was going sell it. Mine is model 57 .41 mag and it might be buried with me. Dave

dad-e-o

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Ponchatoula
    Md,

Bluebook (2014) price for 29-2 in 95% condition:

with S serial number prefix = $1325.00,

with N serial number prefix = $750.00,

just as an aside, with a 5" barrel = $3400.00.

Regards,
    Dad

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well it's a "N" prefix of course, fairly low serial number 7xxxx

I never took the rear sight off. The B-Square mount fits over it. And I have the original grips.
    So far, I haven't seen any on gunbroker going for $625-$725. There's a blue model that's used and bids are higher than that. But, gunbroker has never been my favorite place to estimate the value of a firearm. I may try the forum mentioned.
    Thanks guys

Edit:
    Looking at the S&W forum, looking like $1000+

Last edited:

lowriderfxr

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Lake Charles
    Don't understand your remark. Seems rather smartassed though. I didn't already know.

Thanks to hdfinder47 for the info on the S&W forum. I've been able to date the gun and have a decent idea of what I should ask for it if I wanted to sell.

The responses you got seemed in line. I know at least one poster and he's very knowledgable. It seems like you didn't get the answers you wanted so you countered with a greater price. That seems rather smartass to me. I can't see that revolver bringing 1000.00 to anyone knowledgable in S&Ws, but like they say there is one born every minute. I wish you luck.

Enjoy the S&W Forum. You may see my smart ass over there also. :)

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    People. Until the gun actually sells and money changes hands, the value is just a debate. We have plenty of masterdebators on the internet and you ask 50 'experts' and you're going to get 40 different values ranging high to low.

As an avid masterdebator, I based my value starting with actual sales of collector grade like models, using a rough average of actual low end values of completed transactions within the last 90 days. We can all agree that in the gun's current condition it is not collector grade and a quick scan of ebay for the missing items gave me a general idea of the costs involved in putting the gun to rights.

There are three values to any firearm. 1. What someone thinks it's worth. 2. What someone asks as a selling price. 3. What someone will actually pay.

So, let's all enjoy our masterdebating by being polite to one another. For who knows? The next gun the group strokes might be yours.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The responses you got seemed in line. I know at least one poster and he's very knowledgable. It seems like you didn't get the answers you wanted so you countered with a greater price. That seems rather smartass to me. I can't see that revolver bringing 1000.00 to anyone knowledgable in S&Ws, but like they say there is one born every minute. I wish you luck.

Enjoy the S&W Forum. You may see my smart ass over there also. :)
    Well I don't know how you got all that from my two posts. But sometimes when people want to see something, they're gonna see it even if their eyes are closed. Not trying to sell the pistol, but thanks for reminding us all why members are not allowed to post in a "For Sale" thread. If I do run into you on S&W, I promise not to act an ass in your thread.

Thanks to the other guys for taking the time. Trigger, I do respect your knowledge and was happy to see you post, having gained much insight and useful info from your input here. Your replies as of late regarding the colt 1911 for instance, very informative. Thank you sir.

Perhaps I would be better served in the future to PM a member or two if I ever want to pick somebody's brain without somebody trying to pick a fight.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I bought a blue model just like yours in 98% condition without factory grips for 600 about 3 months ago. It did not have any box or papers or a scope or mount. It is an 8 3/8 barrel model.

Nickel can help or hurt you, depending on the buyer. I would personally never buy a nickel smith unless it was 100% perfect, but I am looking at these guns more as collector pieces and not shooters. I agree that gobroker will be the best place to get top dollar for it.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As a S&W collector (and patron of the other afore-mention forum), I'd want to see how the gun looks without the scope mounted on it. Whether the scope mounting marked the nickel finish would affect value.

I think $600 is low for this gun. Based on what I've read about it so far (with the original numbered stocks), I'd scoop it up in a heartbeat at that price. My finger-in-the-wind best guess on fair sale value would be closer to $850 or so. I'd probably ask $1000 for it and expect to get chewed down a bit.

I see more and more interest in the 44 Mag wheel guns. I'm not sure what the portends for these guns as investments, but even at $1,000 I don't think someone would have to hold onto this for very long to be able to recoup their money from it.

Nice looking piece, by the way. Someone will really enjoy having it.

Mike

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Thanks Raleigh. I have enjoyed hunting with the gun for many years and have taken many deer and a few hogs with it. I doubt I'll ever sell it, but it's nice to know the value of your possessions. I paid less than $400 for it.....about half a lifetime ago. I've taken good care of it and I'm considering having it refinished at some point, most likely by S&W if that service is available.
    Thanks again for everyone's time and input.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks Raleigh. I have enjoyed hunting with the gun for many years and have taken many deer and a few hogs with it. I doubt I'll ever sell it, but it's nice to know the value of your possessions. I paid less than $400 for it.....about half a lifetime ago. I've taken good care of it and I'm considering having it refinished at some point, most likely by S&W if that service is available.
    Thanks again for everyone's time and input.

If you paid less than $400 for it, then you'll have a hard time losing money on it now ... especially if you still have the original box and papers and stocks for it.

I kick myself every day for selling the Model 60 that I paid $319 for almost 15 years ago..

Mike

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Check gunbrokers recently sold auctions to get a realistic idea of what they have been selling for.

Top Bottom