Best 9mm AR SBR Upper

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I would shy away from QC-10, I know Russell that owns Quarter Circle and have worked with him when I was at SAR for R&D on his lowers. They still have problems and I have probably fixed 40 since they have come out.

Between that and QC10 barrels not being ramped properly, the main thing is the linkage system that controls the last round BHO. IF you don't care about a BHO then its great. If you want a BHO its a serious pain to get it to work correctly on the majority of the lowers. They are still working to fix this.

Do you mean bolts not ramped properly?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I think he means the little bolt catch that holds the bolt after the last round isn't designed correctly for that platform which would cause the bolt not to stay open after the last round. My ddles doesn't have that problem with colt mags. But hear about that problem all the time with the glock mag version. You can go to arfcom, and look at the pistol caliber sub forum and there's a plethora of information

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    No the barrels aren't properly ramped, the heck you talking about a "ramped bolt"?
    Noob is correct on a colt style the BHO is still in roughly the original position so the follower pushes directly on the BHO. On Glock style there is a little chicken s**t actuator that contacts the Glock follower. Runs a standard BHO in the lower and attempts to push the BHO open. Two problems happen here.
    First there are serious tolerance stacking issues that cause it not to work. Second the BHO doesn't come up high enough the weight of the bolt slams into it with poor contact and ends up sheering the BHO off or cracking it then proceed to continue forward bending the linkage arm.

QC10 solved their barrel problems to a degree by putting a lug on the bottom of the bolt face to control the feeding of casings. Ultimately it's just to cure the fact they aren't putting enough ramp angle on their barrels.

Moral of the story is best thing you can do for 9mm is get a Colt/Uzi lower or search for an illusive VYHM mag block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I think he means the little bolt catch that holds the bolt after the last round isn't designed correctly for that platform which would cause the bolt not to stay open after the last round. My ddles doesn't have that problem with colt mags. But hear about that problem all the time with the glock mag version. You can go to arfcom, and look at the pistol caliber sub forum and there's a plethora of information

yep, I know the piece he is talking about. It is one of a few reasons I opted for the colt style DDLES lowers, rather than the glock mag setup.

No the barrels aren't properly ramped, the heck you talking about a "ramped bolt"?

I'm talking about the bottom of the bolt being ramped for use with standard ar15 hammers rather than the 9mm specific hammers that are available. I wasn't aware qc10 was ramping barrels for use with their glock lowers...

Here is a link to a ramped bolt:

http://stores.9mmar.com/cmmg-ramped-9mm-bolt-assembly/

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have a ramped bolt but even with that the trigger has to have a hook to it. No notches. If the top of the trigger had a notch, it'll be a single shot rifle bc the notch would catch the bolt as it cycles. Pain in the butt. That's the only reason I didn't put a geissele trigger in mine, Bc I don't want to risk a set up that works perfectly as is. I know by Daniel defense trigger didn't work in it

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I have a ramped bolt but even with that the trigger has to have a hook to it. No notches. If the top of the trigger had a notch, it'll be a single shot rifle bc the notch would catch the bolt as it cycles. Pain in the butt. That's the only reason I didn't put a geissele trigger in mine, Bc I don't want to risk a set up that works perfectly as is. I know by Daniel defense trigger didn't work in it

I've read the SSA/SSA-e work. I threw a g2s in mine recently and it passed a function test, but I haven't live fired it since.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the info, I have an extra g2s I was thinking about throwing in there. But held on to it for another potential bid.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Barney,

Since you already have a lower, just drop in a mag block and go to town. I've been using a RR mag block and one of their 16" uppers for over 5 years and haven't run into and problems except one, it will not chamber CCI Blaser Alum. ammo. I recently picked up a 101/2" upper from a member and we have run it on a friends SBR lower with no problems. This one is using the Hahns block. I have Uzi converted, C-Products, MetalForm & ASC mags, all work fine for me. The SBR we used was running a 300 BO upper and we didn't change out the buffer and spring, just ran what we had. Both bolts have been ramped or shaved whichever you want to call it. Making it easy to switch back to a .223 or .300 upper as you want. Get a RockRiver or CMMG upper complete and ask Ritten to cut and thread the barrel to the lenght you want. He can ramp the bolt at the same time.

Beauxdog

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Barney,

I use both the RockRiver and Hahn mag block. Like I said all the Colt pattern mags seems to work. I havent had problems with any of them. It's a plug and play kinda thing, really easy to swap back and forth. If you were closer I'd say come get mine and go try it. New Siberia is a little far away.

Beauxdog

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I went with the DDLES before the folded. The notched hammer caused issues, so I dropped in an old Daniel Defense trigger group and it runs like a champ.

It currently sports a 3.5" barrel, which I may swap for a 5". Other than that, I couldn't be happier with it!

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks! The rail is DDLES. I'm not sure if you can still find them since they company shut down. I checked out the Quarter Circle 10 website and did not see them, but they do carry the same lowers.

Yep, it's an Octane 9mm. I don't know the "official" OD, but my calipers put it at about 1.38"

BTW- I LOVE being able to run it off Glock mags!

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I went with the DDLES before the folded. The notched hammer caused issues, so I dropped in an old Daniel Defense trigger group and it runs like a champ.

It currently sports a 3.5" barrel, which I may swap for a 5". Other than that, I couldn't be happier with it!

That's a really slick setup.

Looks good Joey.

JR1572

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Yes looks really smooth and the Octane 9 is in the lead for my choice of suppressor, I just have to make sure that I select a forearm that will allow the suppressor to recess inside the forearm. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom