Best 9mm AR SBR Upper

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I have a lower on a Form 4 already so I am entertaining the idea of a 9mm SBR upper for cheap ammo cost. I want something I can quickly pin to the lower and stick a mag in and go. Needs to be threaded as a suppressor will likely get put on it. I'm thinking 5"ish barrel length with about a 10" round hand-guard that a suppressor can tuck nicely into. Needs to be reliable as I can't stand crap that malf's all the time. Not really sure what's out there so "shoot".

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    I just want the upper so I don't have to NFA anything. If mag feeding via using a block is going to be hit an miss then if I proceed I'll just get a factory SBR in 9MM and be done with it.

Anyone have any experience with this. I like the GLOCK version because I already have mags. Second to last one. http://www.tridentarms.us/NFA_Items.html

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I just want the upper so I don't have to NFA anything. If mag feeding via using a block is going to be hit an miss then if I proceed I'll just get a factory SBR in 9MM and be done with it.

Anyone have any experience with this. I like the GLOCK version because I already have mags. Second to last one. http://www.tridentarms.us/NFA_Items.html

I don't think I've ever seen a conversion block for Glock mags (could be wrong though), and the ones for other mags rarely get positive reviews. Personally I'd pass. I toyed with the same idea a while back and didn't find anything promising.

The conversion kits seem to cost about $200 anyway, which in the big picture is not much less than getting a dedicated Glock mag lower.

However I'll second the MPX notion, I'm excited for those to hit the market.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    I don't think I've ever seen a conversion block for Glock mags (could be wrong though), and the ones for other mags rarely get positive reviews. Personally I'd pass. I toyed with the same idea a while back and didn't find anything promising.

The conversion kits seem to cost about $200 anyway, which in the big picture is not much less than getting a dedicated Glock mag lower.

However I'll second the MPX notion, I'm excited for those to hit the market.

Sorry I wasn't clear. If I just stick to my current lower I'd do a conversion block. Probably one for COLT mags.

If I go factory SBR I would opt for the GLOCK mag route.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    They (JP) are on way back from Shot Show, should be able to make up what you want.
    The one I have is made to shoot any Glock17,18 mags no blocks etc.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My 9mm ar is 100% reliable. Only time I've ever had a problem is with reloads from freedom munitions. Runs 100% with federal, wwb, rws, etc. It's a cmmg upper, 5 inch barrel, 3 lug, aac evo9 in a samson evo rail system.

980317A0-340E-483E-B0A9-1044C0E9BDF5_zpsxnsevymo.jpg

The suppressor was even more recessed without the 3 lug adaptor, but it's easier on and off that way.

Big factors that affect reliability. The bolt should be ramped, trigger should be your standard hooked trigger, the ones with the notch do not function well (like the DD triggers will make it a single shot). The buffer should be a very heavy buffer. I use the spikes specific buffer for 9mm (st9x I think its called). Mine use colt mags (which are affordable and are straight up and down, I do not like the angled look of a glock mag in a mag block.). The bolt locks back on the last round (glock mags tend not to). If you don't want to get a dedicated lower, a lot of the mag blocks may require tuning. My brother has a mag block in his, but didn't run 100% at first.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Mine is a PSA and I love it. Didn't pay much and it's good quality. I bought an upper and the mag well block that I just dropped in one of my spare lowers so I can use the easy to find mags ;)but they sell dedicated 9mm lowers as well.

Here's a complete 10" pistol kit less stripped lower for $550. A run of the mill $50 5.56 stripped lower and you could have a complete pistol. They had free shipping on all uppers for the shot show, but they offer that at least once a month.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-10-5-9mm-sqr-7-pistol-kit.html

Last edited:

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Check out quarter circle 10. I have a small frame glock lower on the way. I got away from the mag block and uzi and colt mags

This. OP, that trident arms link you posted are just builds around the QC 10 lowers. (Possibly DDLES lowers depending on the time frame).

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Ddles was sold to quatercircle 10 last summer

You make it sound a lot nicer than it was, lol. That's why I said depending on the time frame. If the guns in the op's link were built a while back before the lawsuit, they may be branded ddles. If they are recent builds, probably qc10.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Sorry I wasn't clear. If I just stick to my current lower I'd do a conversion block. Probably one for COLT mags.

If I go factory SBR I would opt for the GLOCK mag route.

I would shy away from QC-10, I know Russell that owns Quarter Circle and have worked with him when I was at SAR for R&D on his lowers. They still have problems and I have probably fixed 40 since they have come out.

Between that and QC10 barrels not being ramped properly, the main thing is the linkage system that controls the last round BHO. IF you don't care about a BHO then its great. If you want a BHO its a serious pain to get it to work correctly on the majority of the lowers. They are still working to fix this.

Top Bottom