will supplements help me?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I know this is different for everyone. I finally got around to getting me and my wife gym memberships, and plan on starting today. I weigh about 205lbs, 5'11". My goal isn't to get bigger, nor smaller. My main concern for now is better endurance, and tone up my mid section a little (okay, I have a little belly lol) as I haven't really ran since boxing 7 years ago. Would you recommend any supplements that would help physically? I would also be interested in vitamins, but honestly know nothing about this, so advice would be awesome. Thanks guys and gals.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    a solid multivitamin is a must for anyone, active or not. I generally recommend beginners or those just getting back into it to give it a couple of months before investing into supplements. If your goal is to just make some body transition without any regard to the scale, I'd suggest you incorporate some weight lifting and mild cardio in the gym, and up the water and kick the sugars at home. If its truly only a belly and the rest of the mirror looks the way you want, then that battle is fought in the kitchen.

Congrats on renewing the gym membership- working out with my wife changed a lot of things for our relationship and its now one of our favorite ways to spend time together. You're just a hop away from me- you're welcome to join me sometime. I hit anytime in crowley/rayne/scott/church pt depending on where work takes me that day.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Will definitely take you up on that. I was planning on doing a good bit of running/bike, as well as some weight lifting. Any particular multi vitamins you recommend, or are they pretty much the same?

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    For toning up your mid section, what most people mean is they want to burn some fat. Like wabbit said, that happens in the kitchen. Otherwise, some protein supplements help most people. But remember, it's a supplement. You're adding what you don't normally get from your regular diet. A nutritional analysis with a personal trainer might be more helpful for that aspect.

By all means though, good on your for making the commitment! Now is a great time to join up at a gym, too, because they tend to run specials around this time of year since the new-year resolution folks usually quit going.

Sorry- I totally lost track of the point of this. ha. You could start with a good whey protein supplement to just add more quality protein. I usually go with this- http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html?MCID=CG-PLA-US&CAWELAID=120147270000060646&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CjwKEAiA0uGmBRDwj7mE1v-LlCYSJADxH16O_QFxTa-MTYit_DuSS91SXcNwf3o0AVXU0KeqSu8pjBoC-KXw_wcB

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Eating clean will make the biggest difference, limit calories and take just about any multi-vitamin, it's just a supplement to what you aren't getting in your diet. I Also take glucosamine and chondroitin, I stand 14 hours a day, and jog a few days a week. It takes a toll on my knees and ankles, so taking it daily helps, it's not anything you notice immediately (takes ~4-6 weeks to notice) but I definitely have less leg pain now than I did when I didn't take it.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    they aren't all created equal, but I use Optimum nutrition for simple vitamins/bcaa. Seriously though, don't overthink it. It's easy to fall into that billion dollar industry of "whats best" and regardless of whatever broscience you're going to get in the gym or in the posts to follow this: Unless you're a professional athlete you're urinating half the contents out anyway.

and yeah olivs is dead on - if you're going to invest in any one thing, make it protein. I'm not a fan of whey concentrates other than pwo, I prefer the blends for a myriad of reasons. That list would be Combat or Trutein for me, both taste fantastic and are almost identical products. I've got both in multiple flavors, I'll bring ya some if ya want if/when we workout.

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Yeah, I've been a pretty big rice and gravy/fast food kind of guy. Me and my wife are together on this so we're both going to eat healthier. I even switched to select 55 instead of Michelob lol.

We joined a program through our health insurance, where we pay the insurance $25/month, and we have access to many different gym, so we can go to Anytime fitness, as well as many others for the $25, which is pretty cool. I have some cheap whey protein at home, but just thought it was mainly to build mass, which I don't need, yet. (I'm sure I'm wrong on this)

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Yeah, I've been a pretty big rice and gravy/fast food kind of guy. Me and my wife are together on this so we're both going to eat healthier. I even switched to select 55 instead of Michelob lol.

We joined a program through our health insurance, where we pay the insurance $25/month, and we have access to many different gym, so we can go to Anytime fitness, as well as many others for the $25, which is pretty cool. I have some cheap whey protein at home, but just thought it was mainly to build mass, which I don't need, yet. (I'm sure I'm wrong on this)

Protein is vital to your success. It can be chicken, tuna, shrimp, beef, etc - or whey (just not soy, ever). Upping the protein and cutting the junk food alone will yield a difference you can measure visually. I'd start that asap friend.

Weight loss and body building is 90% behavior and 10% knowledge. Just do it. Not tomorrow, not later, now. Then just tweak and improve until you're buying smaller jeans and bigger shirts. Man these kinds of conversations make me wanna just leave the office and go lift.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    One more thing- keep in mind, the easiest thing in the world to do is to quit going to the gym. Focus, focus, focus, every single day on making sure that you get your work out in! (except for off days. those are frustrating though. ha)

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I don't even know a workout routine. Upper half one day, legs the next? Running everyday?

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    I have some cheap whey protein at home, but just thought it was mainly to build mass, which I don't need, yet. (I'm sure I'm wrong on this)

Buy quality whey protein. There is a difference. A lot of the cheaper ones have a lot of fillers (i.e. "spiking") and more sugars and carbs. I like Optimum Nutrition Gold 100% whey.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I don't even know a workout routine. Upper half one day, legs the next? Running everyday?

If you're just starting out, I'd maybe check this out. It's a full-body workout though, meaning you're going to work every major muscle group, every day. Personally I prefer a split day workout (different days for different exercises), but this one would be a good way to ease into it. There are plenty out there though. Keep in mind, you'll be sore as hell when you first start out, no matter what you do.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/beginner-fullbody-workout.html

And yeah, quality protein trumps walmart stuff every time. Finish off what you have left, but then get something a little mo' betta. If you start having joint pain, try out fish oils too, but you're probably a little young to have those problems yet.

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    Health is 10% gym, 90% diet/rest. Period.

You don't need to work out more than half an hour a day, but consistency is key. Also, don't worry about lifting heavy weights. Lighter weights, more reps, more body weight exercises. A million guys can bench press a million pounds, but very few of those guys can do pull ups, push ups, burpees, sprints for reps without rest. Also, don't fall into the gym or nothing mentality. Go to the park, do a couple of miles and do pull ups, situps, lunges, squats, etc. Focus on eating clean, drinking a lot of water, and watching your form when you lift weights. Don't weekend warrior it. Build your strength and endurance over time. More is less until your body adjusts. Make sure you are getting enough rest, as it is easy to over-train and tax the body if it's not repairing. You don't have to run either. Walking distance, jogging, swimming, biking, boxing, etc. are all good exercises for the heart and the mid section. Eat complex carbs, cut sugars, take a multivitamin, and get a physical and blood work done at your docs to make sure everything is line. Also, don't get caught up in the supplement hype. Many supplements will give you great results, but their ingredients can be shady since they are not monitored by the FDA. For instance, steroids popping up in powders, heavy metals and toxic chemicals in protein powders, etc. And madwabbit is spot on. Get a training partner. They keep you in line and motivated. Set a schedule and stick to it. Do your squats, even if you have diarrhea that day. Monitor your heart rate. Stay in the safe zone.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Someone please show a recent reputable medical study that clearly supports the efficacy and clinical positive results of supplements. Vitamin companies are raking in billions of dollars on this and are ferociously defending their claims.

On the other hand, there are more and more dieticians coming out with skepticism.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/nutrition-vitamins-11/help-vitamin-supplement

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Vitamin-Supplements-Healthy-or-Hoax_UCM_432104_Article.jsp

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Someone please show a recent reputable medical study that clearly supports the efficacy and clinical positive results of supplements. Vitamin companies are raking in billions of dollars on this and are ferociously defending their claims.

On the other hand, there are more and more dieticians coming out with skepticism.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/nutrition-vitamins-11/help-vitamin-supplement

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Vitamin-Supplements-Healthy-or-Hoax_UCM_432104_Article.jsp

There are fundamentals regarding the body's ability to complete a multitude of tasks and direct correlation to Vitamin and Mineral benefits (or requirements) for those tasks. The idea behind a multivitamin, translated to gun talk, is: dump 1,000 rounds of every caliber into this gun range. They'll use what they can and the rest is a waste."

Personally, I prefer whole fresh food for my vitamin intake but you'd have to be a scientist to cover them all. It's not the end-all be-all Emp, it's just to cover the outfield while your diet handles the bases. Most reports downing multivitamins discuss using them in reference as being your sole source of micronutrition during a crash diet, which is beyond bad news for your body AND your fitness goals.

Worst case is your body doesn't need it and it turns your pee funny colors. Best case is it makes a dramatic improvement to your overall health, over time.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There are fundamentals regarding the body's ability to complete a multitude of tasks and direct correlation to Vitamin and Mineral benefits (or requirements) for those tasks. The idea behind a multivitamin, translated to gun talk, is: dump 1,000 rounds of every caliber into this gun range. They'll use what they can and the rest is a waste."

Personally, I prefer whole fresh food for my vitamin intake but you'd have to be a scientist to cover them all. It's not the end-all be-all Emp, it's just to cover the outfield while your diet handles the bases. Most reports downing multivitamins discuss using them in reference as being your sole source of micronutrition during a crash diet, which is beyond bad news for your body AND your fitness goals.

Worst case is your body doesn't need it and it turns your pee funny colors. Best case is it makes a dramatic improvement to your overall health, over time.

To me, Vitamin supplements are like religious beliefs; if it makes you feel better and you are happier for it, more power to you! :mamoru:

Now, if I keep on forgetting simple things; I'm going all in on Ginkgo biloba! :p

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/ginkgo/background/hrb-20059541

This^ is from the Mayo Clinic! Unfortunately for me, for the last few years I have been getting my nutrition tips from the Mayo...........nnaise Clinic! :dunno:

Lyle Savant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Central (NE Baton Rouge, LA)
    A pharmacist friend recommended that I take a Multi-Vitamin & a B-Complex; it works for me. The B-Complex gives you energy & is good if you have a high-stress job.

Good for y'all. The best Health Insurance is to stay healthy & not have to use the insurance you pay for.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I went from a 46 inch waist back to a 38 about two years ago and must go to the gym several times a week plus in order to keep it there. I cut sugar out almost entirely and limit carbs. I do the protein after work out stuff.

But let me tell you a secret that many doctors have backed up for me when they do their ride time on the ambulance. Multi vitamins are a gimmick. You don't need them, particularly if you eat a well balanced diet.

I expect people to get upset and argue. That's fine. Take them if you want. They don't hurt you. But you simple don't need them. If you feel better with them then that's called a placebo effect. So if you. "feel" better and have the money to spend than buy them.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom