Silencerco Easy Trust $129.99

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I heard a rumor about this a while back, but I can't believe they are actually doing it. Call me biased, but you get what you pay for.

From the description, it appears to be just another "one-size-fits-all" form, similar to the other ones that are available all over the internet for cheaper (or more) than what Silencerco is selling it for.

I'm not sure why they are even getting into this other than to turn a quick buck- I know that they are making some bold claims, such as "100% effective at protecting your rights." Does that mean that they will appear on your behalf to testify as to the validity of the document that they are selling, should it ever come under scrutiny in a court of law? Are they assessing individual, special needs of their clients? Is their behavior backed by a malpractice insurance policy?

"The EasyTrust is 50-state legal. The process of ratification will differ by state, but we’ll send you a document detailing the processes you’ll need to follow." Are they now giving legal advice? Louisiana, as a civil law state doesn't even use the same legal terminology as the other 49 states... How do they anticipate that shaking out?

The whole idea is gimmicky, irresponsible and a good way to get some well-intentioned people into a lot of trouble. Stick with making cans, fellas.

ETA: Lest we forget, Silencerco's legal suggestions have come under fire in the past: http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2013/10/is-silencerco-shooting-themsel.html

You can guess who the "major silencer company" in question was.

Last edited:

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    It baffles me why some guys would trust a $129.99 "turbo tax" style document to protect something that important. To me, if its important enough to pay for, allow your LGS to hold on to it for anywhere from 4-6 months while the ATF clears you/trust/llc, and then accept only with certain stigmas attached to it, then its surely important enough that a COMPETENT lawyer draw up the document for another $170-200 in most cases. We aren't talking about items that cost less than $200. It literally took 4 days for me to have a copy of my trust in hand, completed by an attorney. What's 4 days when you're waiting 4 months?

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    It baffles me why some guys would trust a $129.99 "turbo tax" style document to protect something that important. To me, if its important enough to pay for, allow your LGS to hold on to it for anywhere from 4-6 months while the ATF clears you/trust/llc, and then accept only with certain stigmas attached to it, then its surely important enough that a COMPETENT lawyer draw up the document for another $170-200 in most cases. We aren't talking about items that cost less than $200. It literally took 4 days for me to have a copy of my trust in hand, completed by an attorney. What's 4 days when you're waiting 4 months?

I think for many it just comes down to dollars out of pocket. If they see a guy get the $99 special trust and all their stamps are approved I believe it is assumed that you are good to go. People don't realize approval by the ATF can be very wishy washy. They've proven it before. All my stamps are personally held but I do intend to get a trust when I feel like ponying up the money for another item. Jccypress will get a call.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Yeah some people only care about cost. As NFA becomes more mainstream, many people's concern for particulars seems to go out the window.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Has there ever been a case where anyone has ever gotten in any real trouble for using a turbo tax style trust? Granted an attorney preparing the trust is better but I don't see a real issue with using one of these either.

Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    If your trust is not valid and the ATF has issued you a stamp (or stamps) for your items, you are committing a felony by your possession of those items. The ATF does not certify the validity of your trust and they will come back for the items if they discover your trust is not valid. I think that is enough of a concern, although others may disagree.

I have corrected enough erroneous trusts that have been issued stamps by the ATF to see that the ATF has no idea if your trust is valid or not. Louisiana trust laws are not the same as common law. I tell clients it's easier (and less expensive) to do things right on the front end as opposed to calling a lawyer on the back end when you're in trouble.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Understood, but has anyone ever been charged or have they ever actually taken anyone's stuff? Serious question not trying to be combative. I've never seen or heard of anyone actually getting in trouble for having approved stamps in an invalid trust. I have seen someone that had themselves listed as Grantor, Trustee and successor trustee with approved items in the trust. When he sent it in for something else it was sent back and they made him amend the trust to correct it. It really wasn't as big a deal as many people like to make it out to be.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A *Gun trust* is a relatively new concept, but is at its core based on revocable trust. I have no case law handy in which a specific *gun trust* was attacked, but there is the recent U.S. District Court order, in which a U.S. District Judge held that a defendant’s revocable trust, which she created herself from a boilerplate form, was held to be invalid and, thus, her attempted transfer of property into the revocable trust was also invalid. http://leagle.com/decision/In FDCO 20130408D08/IN RE VAZQUEZ

If this were to have happened with NFA items, she would have illegally placed herself in possession of those items, and thus be subject to 10 years in federal prison on each count.

In a footnote to his opinion and order, the judge stated:
    This case is a poster child for the proposition that one should not rely on prepaid legal forms with boilerplate language for important legal matters. … It is also clear that a properly drafted trust prepared by a competent lawyer would have accomplished the goal she sought in the first instance.

That's great that you're customer was able to walk without any real incident from the ATF. Cops let people off with warnings all the time.

I just personally can't comprehend investing thousands of dollars into highly regulated items, and choosing to skimp of the legal document that may keep you out of prison if things go south. It's like ordering a custom built Ferrari, and asking the factory to remove the seat belts so that you can save a 100 bucks.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    A *Gun trust* is a relatively new concept, but is at its core based on revocable trust. I have no case law handy in which a specific *gun trust* was attacked, but there is the recent U.S. District Court order, in which a U.S. District Judge held that a defendant’s revocable trust, which she created herself from a boilerplate form, was held to be invalid and, thus, her attempted transfer of property into the revocable trust was also invalid. http://leagle.com/decision/In FDCO 20130408D08/IN RE VAZQUEZ

Right, there is no such thing as a "gun trust" separate from a traditional revocable trust (or irrevocable trust, for that matter). A "gun trust" is simply a trust instrument that may or may not have extra language regarding NFA items... but a "gun trust" has to fulfill the exact same requirements to be valid as does any other trust.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I tell clients it's easier (and less expensive) to do things right on the front end as opposed to calling a lawyer on the back end when you're in trouble.

I just personally can't comprehend investing thousands of dollars into highly regulated items, and choosing to skimp of the legal document that may keep you out of prison if things go south. It's like ordering a custom built Ferrari, and asking the factory to remove the seat belts so that you can save a 100 bucks.

Yeah it makes no sense. If you are spending $200 on each stamp, and hundreds and thousands of dollars on each item, an additional few hundred on the front end for a proper legal document is pennies.

And really as far as attorney time goes, it seems like y'all are only charging a couple hours' billable time, which is a fantastic deal for a quality document.

Papercutninja

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    The other thing is that if price is an issue, the $129 is a little disingenuous. You will still have to pay a local notary to execute it and that could be from $25 - $40. So really you are saving $130. Is $130 really worth possible fines and imprisonment?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    The other thing is that if price is an issue, the $129 is a little disingenuous. You will still have to pay a local notary to execute it and that could be from $25 - $40. So really you are saving $130. Is $130 really worth possible fines and imprisonment?

thats kind of my point. It saves a hundred bucks? Big whoop.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I also keep in mind that trusts are currently in the ATF's crosshairs, with potential changes and additional scrutiny coming to decision in May. Maybe it'll amount to nothing, or maybe it will be a big deal. All I know is a) it's one more reason to not take chances relating to your trust preparation and b) now is the time to get it done if you've been putting it off.

ROCKBEN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    I started to go down the Silencerso Easy Trust road but decided after some research to stay away from it.

When I deployed a couple of years ago I had to have legal documents notorized. I purchased documents of the internet and when I took them to the notary they would not process them because they were not Louisiana specific. they knew right away what was missing. So I had to pay for the correct documents. I would suggest to pay the professional to get the language correct the first time.

Now I am in search of legal services on the NorthShore for NRA Gun Trust.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom