Finland Adopts SCAR-L for Special Forces.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Finland’s special forces have announced the adoption of the SCAR-L, chambered, unusually for Finland, for 5.56x45mm. From Jane’s:

Finland’s special forces have selected the Belgian FN SCAR-L assault rifle as a new standard firearm.

The FN SCAR-L will be the first 5.56×45 mm NATO calibre firearm introduced to the Finnish Defence Forces (FDF). It will supplement the current RK 95 TP assault rifle chambered in the Russian 7.62×39 mm cartridge. Both weapons will be used in parallel by Finnish soldiers.

“We decided that the rifle for the special forces [should be] compatible with other nations for use in crisis management and national defence,” said infantry inspector Colonel Jukka Valkeajärvi.

The weapon was approved after field tests. A contract for FN SCAR-L rifles and FN40GL-L under-barrel grenade launchers is to be signed in March.

The special forces units are also seeking a new light machine gun chambered in 5.56×45 mm. The FN Minimi and the H&K MG4 are being tested at the Finnish Army training centre (Utin Jääkärirykmentti).

Finland launched its ‘reconnaissance weapon system’ for the special forces in March 2014. Under it, the country was looking for 200-300 rifles chambered in 5.56×45 mm and 50-75 grenade launchers chambered in 40×46 mm low velocity ammunition. Rifles are set to be equipped with additional accessories, including the tactical light and laser pointer Insight Model 7500 (AN/PEQ-2A). The contract is estimated to be worth EUR750,000 (USD851,378) with all weapons to be delivered in 2015.

031218c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Prairieville, la
    The recoil on the 7.62 SCAR isn't something I'd want to deal with during CQB also its magazine capacity is cut down by 10 rds. I personally love how clean the weapon stays but beyond that I can't stand the thing. The 7.62 version which I use fairly often is too light and inaccurate to be a designated sniper system I would want to use and recoil management when putting fast effective fire down range is tough to deal with. Don't have much experience with the Light though

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Why not 7.62? superior in every way except weight and widely available on any battlefield you might visit...

*We decided that the rifle for the special forces [should be] compatible with other nations for use in crisis management and national defence,*

Sounds like they figure they would be backed or supplied by us?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom