Bed cover suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Been looking at putting a bed cover on my truck. I've been looking at the rolling style and the folding style. Anyone have a preference for brand they've used and like? Also anyone have a place in the BR area to shop for covers?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My dad had an A.R.E. truck cap on his past truck. They are very nice for the money, but they do have flaws. I'm not sure which brand is on his new Silverado, may even be factory, but it is a better design that the ARE.

I'm not a fan of the rolling covers, but there are some folders that are very nice.

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    I had a Truxedo Truxport on my truck. It was less than $300 several years ago. I really liked it. Easy to install and roll back when you need your bed. Hurricane Isaac decided that I did not need it anymore.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Try Capital Campers on Florida Blvd. just West of Denham Springs. They sell A R E and others.

BillnLA

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Albany
    Do Not! I repeat do not go with a Peragon folding cover. Yes they are US made in TX, but unless they have made extreme improvements, they do not hold up very well. Had one on my wife's truck and after about a year it was nothing but problems. FIL put one on his truck also and he has had most of the same problems. Would fall out of the tracks once opened and folded near the cab. Rollers bent when trying to close it. After about three years it finally broke to the point of not being able to repair it anymore. If I had to do it again, I think I would go with one of the BakFlip models or maybe the Undercover folding cover.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    I just put on a Pace Edwards - full metal jackrabbit. So far it is real nice. Seems to be tough and durable and that's what I was looking for. Something that would look nice and hold up.
    I ordered it directly from Pace Edwards.

CajunBull85

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    I bought a Roll-n-lock about 2 years ago. Still works just as good as the day I bought it. Provides a good amount of security. It has it's own key lock. So, when it latches closed on your tailgate and is locked, the cover can't be opened and neither can the tailgate (though for extra security it does help to lock your tailgate). Also keeps just about the entire bed of my truck dry. The only times it ever gets wet inside, is when it storms hard and I am driving in it. The water ends up splashing through the bottom of the tailgate, resulting it two small wet spots in the back corners near the tailgate. As for the rest of the water, it funnels down the sides of the cover, into the canister, down through two plastic tubes that run out the bottom of the truck bed. The only maintenance I've had to two to it, is maybe once every month or two, clean out the slide rails, just to keep the cover sliding smoothly.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    I have had the A.R.E. hard bed covers on my last two trucks and while they are great they have flaws. Removing isn't easy (I have never done it) so there is a limit to what you can hold. I would do a good flip cover if I had to do it again.

ShootJ123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2017
    United States
    Apology for posting on this old thread, just needing a good bed cover right now. Been looking at those tonneau covers available nowadays, lots of good options but can't decide. Tallwalker, how's the Retrax now? I prefer the tri-folds but wifey likes the easy use of retractable. Definitely needs to keep most of the rain water out. I sometimes haul tall stuffs so I need that extra space.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I have a bakflip f1.
    First one the panels separated and they replaced it. This new one is doing the same thing. Now the latch across the back that holds the cover closed fell off. Not to mention they fade terribly in the sun. Junk

My next one will be one of these
    http://www.diamondbackcovers.com

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I have a Gator trifold. It's a cheapie at $250. Just wanted something until I can get a camper she'll. It's been a good cover, keeping stuff dry and out of sight. You can cut it easy, but I figure it isn't hard to break in to most toneaus.

Top Bottom