Homemade Suppressor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I'm sure that there is a point of diminishing returns. It would be interesting to know where that is so that I don't overdo it. The choices were 5.5, 7.5, 9.5 and 11.5 inches. I went with 9.5, as did my son. I kind of wish one of us had gone shorter to see where the line is. If I had better information, I might send a letter to ATF to revise the length. Looks like lattin1 used the shorter tubes. Maybe he can respond as to the level of reduction with the shorter tubes, as he made an 11" also.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    At what point does weight become an issue, with a bench/prone rifle?

I can see the suppressor weight being an issue with a battle type rifle, but not a bench rifle.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    You can unscrew the endcaps and drop the baffles out. There is a lot of talk about what is legal with a Form 1 can, but I think cleaning is OK. I have been told on another forum that to replace a baffle is illegal, as the new baffle must be Form 1'd as well. Something about silencer parts being considered a silencer. That is all I have to say about that.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    You can unscrew the endcaps and drop the baffles out. There is a lot of talk about what is legal with a Form 1 can, but I think cleaning is OK. I have been told on another forum that to replace a baffle is illegal, as the new baffle must be Form 1'd as well. Something about silencer parts being considered a silencer. That is all I have to say about that.

But the baffled aren't the serialized part.. Aren't you allowed, as the manufacturer, to repair as necessary? (I don't know the correct answer, Just trying to learn)

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    At what point does weight become an issue, with a bench/prone rifle?

I can see the suppressor weight being an issue with a battle type rifle, but not a bench rifle.

Probably when you get enough weight hanging off the end of the barrel so that the barrel contacts the stock when it is fired.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    But the baffled aren't the serialized part.. Aren't you allowed, as the manufacturer, to repair as necessary? (I don't know the correct answer, Just trying to learn)

You are the maker for your own personal use, not a manufacturer. A lot of info here, but no one actually knows the answer except the ATF:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/50_Class_3_Legal_Issues_And_Questions.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/17_General_Class_3.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/22_Class_3_Firearms.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom