Home Defense Guns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    It seems as though Colt is a safe bet in the sub $1,000 - $1,000 range. Is that an accurate assertion? I have a kitchen table build that has continuous FTF issues that I would love to replace with something built by an actual professional.

Also, what are your thoughts on variable powered optics for self defense? Namely the Burris MTAC 1-4? With my budget constraints, I can't justify spending $400 - $500 on a non magnified optic. I would prefer something more versatile I can use for self defense as well as plinking and punching holes in paper on the weekends.

Yes to the Colt. As for optics, there are some solid red dots in the $200 range. Vortex, Primary Arms, Holosun. https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Micro_Dot_with_Push_Buttons_p/md-ads.htm I'm not a big fan of 1-4 scopes.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    It seems as though Colt is a safe bet in the sub $1,000 - $1,000 range. Is that an accurate assertion? I have a kitchen table build that has continuous FTF issues that I would love to replace with something built by an actual professional.

Also, what are your thoughts on variable powered optics for self defense? Namely the Burris MTAC 1-4? With my budget constraints, I can't justify spending $400 - $500 on a non magnified optic. I would prefer something more versatile I can use for self defense as well as plinking and punching holes in paper on the weekends.

I would defer to Chris or Trey at Sport Optics. I've shot the MTAC and thought it was pretty good, I also think the Vortex PST Scopes are good.

MyBabyDaddy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Is that supposed to be a contribution to a constructive conversation?

I apologize. I was just laughing at that statement.
    "Shooting at stationary targets means nothing." ..... "Here's where I tell you how fast I can put rounds on stationary targets.".

I don't get involved in the "this is better than that" debates. I just thought that was funny.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    What sling mounts do you like?

Thoughts on 1/3rd co-witness vs absolute co-witness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like a QD on the top rail like the Viking Tactics LUSA and I route the rear of the sling through the stock. I have no opinion on co-witnesses. Either work. In general i think minutia like which co-witness is better is what people who want to sound important on the internet talk about when they should be shooting. In the history of recent gunfights , say the last 10 years, I doubt there has been a back-up iron sight used when an optic failed.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I apologize. I was just laughing at that statement.
    "Shooting at stationary targets means nothing." ..... "Here's where I tell you how fast I can put rounds on stationary targets.".

I don't get involved in the "this is better than that" debates. I just thought that was funny.

I think you mis-comprehended what he was trying to say.

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    ....In the history of recent gunfights , say the last 10 years, I doubt there has been a back-up iron sight used when an optic failed.

This has been a question I've pondered for a while. How often does this happen, if it does happen? I would understand if the optic took a round through the glass or left your power on for 50,001 hours but what are the odd of that happening. Are backups really that necessary?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I think a front is necessary. Im meh on a rear. Id love to see an honest survey where respondents are asked ...are your BUIS zeroed? I bet 95% aren't.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    50,000 hrs only applies to certain types of optics. Not a gun fight, but a real life example. I attended a class where an instructor borrowed another instructors rifle to use for demos that day and raised it to find that the eotech battery was dead. Don't remember if he used backups or just sighted over the top of the barrel as it didn't matter for the demo. For what it's worth my backups are sighted in.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom