Home Defense Guns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I was recently asked to contribute To a Round Table Discussion in Ballistic Magazine. The topic was Home Defense Weapons, what I chose , and why. I thought i would share my thoughts here:

Home Defense Weapon of Choice: Daniel Defense Mk18

Why? The Mk18 gives me a proven,super reliable platform capable of defeating any threat that I am likely to encounter in my home. There are a variety of excellent ammo choices available that will defeat soft body armor without posing an over penetration risk to my family. My personal choice is the 77gr SMK loaded by Black Hills. I use the Mk18 extensively at work so having the common platform at home is a big plus.

Modification: On my home defense rifle I keep things pretty basic. I have added the Unity Tactical VTAC Micro Hub with fixed Iron Sight, Surefire M300B Scout Light, and a VTAC MkII Sling. I also use the excellent Giselle Super V Trigger. The Super V is reliable and effective, and since I also have one in my work rifle , it insures consistent platform performance.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    are you worried about percussion in a small hall way? I would imagine a 10.3 inch barrel indoors will be deafening. My 10.5 inch noveske sure the heck is....

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Yes my gun is usually supressed but if it wasn't i wouldn't worry anymore about a 10.3" gun than a 16" gun or a shotgun or a pistol.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Are you not worried about bullet traveling through walls in a home defense situation?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Most 5.56/.223 ammo, particularly JHP stuff has less residual penetration through interior walls than 9mm Ball. By design the projectiles are low mass/high velocity they become unstable in barriers and fragment. Drywall is a particularly difficult medium for them. There will be some secondary frag but im far less concerned about than I am with buck shot or slugs and I don't consider pistol ammo to be less of a risk nor do I find it to be sufficiently lethal.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Would you consider 125gr .357 or 200gr 10mm to no sufficiently lethal?

I don't consider any handgun rounds to be sufficiently lethal in part because of physics and in part because of circumstance. There is an alarming trend nationwide of Home Invaders donning body armor. I want to be able to meet the worst case scenario threat or come as close to it as reasonably possible.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    If you can legally own them, and own them legally there is no reason why you would not be legally able to use them for self-defense. There is quite a bit of case law to support the legal use of NFA Items in Self Defense. The most famous is probably the Gary Fadden Incident.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    No because I find shotguns to be less Shootable (slower, lower capacity, less accurate, more recoil, more difficult to operate), and the shotgun ammo types that have been proven to be sufficiently lethal I.e. #4 shot or bigger and Slugs go through walls like a wrecking ball. I have children at home a loose pellet of 00 Buck is completly unacceptable. Two of the great myths surrounding shotguns are their ease of use and close quarters accuracy. When we put on our Shotgun Class nearly everyone is impressed upon that their shotgun is not what they believed it was.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Well this throws a wrench in my home set up. I kept the AR locked up since I figured it would penetrate too much in the direction of my kids room. Maybe I should put a light on the AR and swap them out.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Because I am not enamored with the Tavor or any of the modern bullpups. They lack the track record or reliability I am looking for, they can't be fired from the support side without mechanical modification, the manual of arms is weird, and with the availability of JHPs and ammo like the 77gr SMK and TMK I don't believe there is much of a diffrence in lethality vis a vis 16" vs. 10.3".

Top Bottom