HELP PSA pa10(ar10 308) BCG

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    i brought a new PSA BCG for a budget 308 ar10 I built,i just finished the build and the last piece of the puzzle arrived today which was the BCG.this is the one that I ordered and received it todayhttp://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-10/new-ar-10/psa-pa10-308-phosphate-bcg-with-charging-handle.html

The problem is,I would insert the mag and let the bolt go foward to chamber a round but the bolt won't close all the way..it will chamber the round but the bolt won't go foward all the way so I'll drop the mag and pull the bolt back but the bolt won't grab the round that's already in the chamber and eject it..now after pulling the charging handle/bolt back (while the round is still in the chamber)and let the bolt slam back foward,it will close all the way,but now it's very hard to pull the charging handle/bolt back to eject the round..I haven't fired the rifle yet because I don't think it's safe to do..I sent PSA an email letting them know but it's the weekend and I'm sure they won't get it untill Monday..I was really looking foward to shooting it this weekend but I guess that won't be happening..
    I will attach some pictures of what I believe is the problem with the bolt..
    Also I would like to add that when the rifle is empty the bolt goes back and foward normal when I pull the charging handle..

I believe this button is the problem(I don't know what's it's called)

It's very very very stiff and is extremely hard to push down with my finger as compared to all 3 ar15 BCGs I have..it's the button where the arrow is pointed at.its actually impossible to push down with my finger as compared to the Ar15 BCGs I have,I had to use a punch and put a lot of pressure to push it down(I was just testing to see if that was the problem,that's why I was pushing it down)
    I removed the extractor but didn't know if I could remove that botton to further inspect it..I oiled it pretty good but it's still impossible to push down with my finger..I believe that is the reason why the bolt won't go foward all the way and grab the round

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    PSA will have QC problems sometimes with barrels, bolts, etc.... the extractor is below your arrow see if that moves without much force.

2nd. And this is probably what is wrong, if you don't have head space gauges take the upper off of the lower and stand the upper straight up and down on the floor (flat surface) so it is standing on the muzzle.
    Then take the BCG without the charging handle and insert it into the upper were just the bolt is past inside of it and release and let it drop free. NOW before anyone says anything this is not manual way of checking headspace, but the BCG should drop and stop with about 1/8" left to push into the upper. If you can take your finger and just push down on it and it snaps into place, the headspace is probably 99.99% fine.

If the BCG stops 1/4" or greater, like a good portion is sticking out of the lower the head spacing is off. If the BCG falls straight in all the way flush without you having to push just a hair of it in, then head space is probably wrong.

If this is a round you will be using often invest in field gauge, and no go gauges for checking head space because technically it could be a very dangerous thing in some instances.

Do that and see what happens....

Also take the BCG apart, remove the firing pin retainer, the firing pin, take the cam lug off the bolt, remove the bolt and just give it a good look over apply some small lubricant, like i said make sure the extractor will move up and down without a lot of force.

Also if you look at the lugs on your bolt the one to the 3 o'clock in the picture has a lot of scratches on it making me to believe you may have head space problem.

****AGAIN**** the method I told you on checking your head space is not a "by the book" method and you should always use gauges, but from working on guns and gunsmithing I know it will tell me if I should look elsewhere for problems if gauges are not available or if I should not even shoot the weapon.

Last edited:

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    Also if you are in the Thibodaux area or can come by here I am gunsmith and will check it out for free for you if you want and we can even go to the range I am member at and test fire it after.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    If that bolt is sticking up outside the receiver if you do the test I am talking about (unless you have gauges) DO NOT fire that weapon. Just from the damage on the lug at 3 o'clock it looks like head space is off. Unless for whatever reason something else was putting those marks on it.

Also don't call PSA customer service for help, they are the worst customer service reps in any industry. The only thing you will get out of them is a reply "We are emailing you a packing label send it back to us, and after inspection we will ship out another one."

There gunsmiths are not really gunsmiths....I have seen complete uppers with FF rails from there that once you take them off you will see all kind of marks all over the barrel nut, scratches on the barrel, etc... It is always best to just order parts from them and build yourself. They have top quality parts....especially if the barrel is "premium" it is made at FN, if your lower has "SC" in the serial number it is a FN lower, etc...

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I live in New Orleans but I'm at my shop in houma with the rifle with me but I don't get off UNTILL 8pm and its a little hard for me to sneak out real quick to come show you because I'm working by myself today..

The thing is that on my ar15 bolts,this lil pin that that the bullet tip is aimed at is pushes down easily without much pressure on it..but the pin on the ar10 bolt is extremely hard to push down,as compared to my ar15 bolt..I brought the upper already assembled because I didn't have to deal with headspacing,but I know I don't know much of headspacing,I don't necessarily think that's the issue,it's this pin that would not push down so the extractor can clamp on the round

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Here's some more pictures with the bolt closed without a round and the bold closed with a round
    Without round:

And here's pics with a round chambered..the bolt will not go all the way foward and lock in place(I took the firing pin out :) )

- - - Updated - - -

I think u guys might be right and it might be a headspace issue

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Will the extractor pin isn't as stiff as it was before and the bolt still won't go all the way foward..this sucks because it's probabiliy a headspace issue and PSA should really check there stuff out before mailing them to people..this is dangerous..

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    They are still shipping the nickel boron bcg's with the wrong extractor spring. I could not get my bcg to fully seat into battery because the extractor spring was so damn stiff. It wouldn't let the extractor jump over the rim of the case so no joy there. A standard AR-15 spring is too short and allows the .308 extractor flop around opened and closed with approximately a 25% failure to extract rate. I found the BCM extractor spring upgrade kit was perfect. The spring is tall enough to keep the extractor depressed yet soft enough to let the extractor ride over the case rim.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    That is a damn shame, I've noticed that PSA has been going downhill in the last year or so.

They are still shipping the nickel boron bcg's with the wrong extractor spring. I could not get my bcg to fully seat into battery because the extractor spring was so damn stiff. It wouldn't let the extractor jump over the rim of the case so no joy there. A standard AR-15 spring is too short and allows the .308 extractor flop around opened and closed with approximately a 25% failure to extract rate. I found the BCM extractor spring upgrade kit was perfect. The spring is tall enough to keep the extractor depressed yet soft enough to let the extractor ride over the case rim.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Mine does this too some time. Let me know what you find out.

I found the BCM extractor spring upgrade kit was perfect. The spring is tall enough to keep the extractor depressed yet soft enough to let the extractor ride over the case rim.

Is the BCM kit for an AR-15 or AR-10? I want to try this out.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The "button" is the ejector. It should flatten out flush with the bolt face when a round is fed and the bolt is in battery. If for some reason the ejector is stuck and won't depress fully, then yes, that would keep the bolt from locking into battery.
    Check the round that was used for a dent on the base that matches up with the ejector.
    Take the thing out and inspect it and the passage to make sure it's clear. It's just knock out a pin and remove. You tube it if you have doubts about it. Prolly something on there about bolt teardown or rebuild. It helped me prove what the infamous "extractor O ring" was really all about.
    If the ejector is not the issue, then I'd have to agree with others here on the headspace issue. May need a good reaming or some bolt work.
    Either way, trying a proven BCG would be my first step!
    Good luck and let us know

CarronJ

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    My dad had the same problem after correspondence with PDA they told him the remove the extractor and there is an boring around the spring under the extractor. Take the o-ring out it is small. My dad's worked fine after removing it. Hope this helps I know it did my dad and that is what PDA had recommended.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    If you come by thibodaux I have a WMD NiB-X BCG and gauges .... I sent you a pm with my info. I think I have a dpms bcg lying around here somewhere too.

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    If you come by thibodaux I have a WMD NiB-X BCG and gauges .... I sent you a pm with my info. I think I have a dpms bcg lying around here somewhere too.

Cool I pm U back..
    I don't know much but I'm almost sure it's the bolt because the ejector pin and extractor are impossible to move with my finger as compared to my ar15 bolts..
    Sent PSA about 3 emails and still haven't heard back from them..but when I emailed and asked to buy something they got back to me ASAP lol

Top Bottom