NOLA Home Defense Foundation??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Per his site:

Mike Weinberger is a retired attorney and businessman. As an attorney he specialized in cases involving mechanical engineering failures, and is the author of three law books in that field. After retiring from law he invented a new type of fireplace. His units, sold by HearthCabinet.com, have been installed in Madison Square Garden and many hotels. Mike holds several United States Patents in fireplace design.

In his spare time Mike enjoys leading rides for our local bike club, the Crescent City Cyclists, reading and playing backgammon. He is a co-founder of the New Orleans Backgammon Club and also the New Orleans Non-Fiction Book Club.

Mike is also a licensed firearm safety instructor and is the author of "How To Select A Defensive Firearm: Practical Advice for the Average Person." For a free copy of his book come to one of our meetings. You can contact Mike at Founder@HdfNola.org

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    I am late to this thread but I have just met Mike Weinberger. You may or may not agree with his choice of firearms, but my comment is that his audience is the new gun owner want to be, not collectors or hobbyists. He helps people who are new to firearms and want one only for self defense.

I would also note he has done more for gun owners than most posters here.

He helped Merritt Landry.

Here is an editorial he wrote published by the WSJ.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-we...d-justice-prevailed-in-new-orleans-1402094530

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/08/merritt-landry-allies-developing-narrative-of-innocence/

He also got the LA law changed as a result of the Merritt Landry case which benefits all lawful gun owner.

http://www.hdfnola.org/changing-the-law.html

It turned out that the law that applied to that case, R.S. 14:19, did not give the homeowner the presumption that he acted correctly and legally. Why? Because the intruder did not die and because the homeowner was in the YARD when he fired his shot, not in his house.

This new version of the law says that if you are in your home and someone is trying to break in, and you wound the invader, you now get the benefit of the doubt that you acted reasonably and legally. And, unlike the old law, you do not lose this protection if you are in your yard when you use your firearm.

The group http://www.hdfnola.org/ needs volunteers to help with training, as well as donations.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Velociraptor,
    Your comments are what made me watch the videos. I think you are correct in that if you look at it in the context of what his goals and objectives are with the audience he is addressing it makes way more sense. He is not even on a self defense 101 level with those people. He is getting NGP's to become progunners and at rate that plural would apply. I may not agree 100% with his approach, but with out seeing it firsthand I can't exactly say what I would change.
    I am going to follow the links you provided and learn more about him. Thanks for posting the info.

I am late to this thread but I have just met Mike Weinberger. You may or may not agree with his choice of firearms, but my comment is that his audience is the new gun owner want to be, not collectors or hobbyists. He helps people who are new to firearms and want one only for self defense.

I would also note he has done more for gun owners than most posters here.

He helped Merritt Landry.

Here is an editorial he wrote published by the WSJ.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-we...d-justice-prevailed-in-new-orleans-1402094530

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/08/merritt-landry-allies-developing-narrative-of-innocence/

He also got the LA law changed as a result of the Merritt Landry case which benefits all lawful gun owner.

http://www.hdfnola.org/changing-the-law.html

The group http://www.hdfnola.org/ needs volunteers to help with training, as well as donations.

Last edited:

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    Velociraptor,
    I think you are correct in that if you look at it in the context of what his goals and objectives are with the audience he is addressing it makes way more sense. He is not even on a self defense 101 level with those people. He is getting NGP's to become progunners and at rate that plural would apply.

Thank you! +1,000
    He is teaching, successfully I might add, the first gun fighting rule...."Have a loaded firearm."

He is teaching this to people who are NGP and likely afraid of firearms, their report/noise and recoil

I have not seen a class first hand yet (will remedy this shortly) but I heard about him on the radio ads the foundation has been broadcasting. I was told that he has had 60 +/- people show up at the St Bernard Shooting Range for his free class. Virtually 100% are NGP. They may own a firearm (generally several years old but still NIB) or have almost zero exposure to firearms. His program is showing these people the truth about firearms and in the process supporting and strengthening the 2nd amendment.

They meet the 1st Tuesday at Morning Call in City Park and he holds the classes a few times a month.

I agree with you I am not 100% in agreement with his teachings but if the result is more progun people; I will donate time, money and ammunition to the free shooting classes.

The reason for this is to spread the word about this program and generate some support for him in the firearm community. We need more outreach like.

Last edited:

JabbaTheWhat01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    HDFNOLA and Mike Weinberger are THE major force for the 2A in New Orleans. I, too, was skeptical of promoting a Charger, but it works for his purposes, which is to promote a responsible armed citizenry.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I attended one of Mike's meetings at Morning Call.

He's enthusiastic, I'll say that.

I have a copy of his book. I'd take some issues with his recommendations, but as already stated, his target audience is the Non Gun Person.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I know Mike and attend NOLA HDF meetings as often as I can. As stated above, Mike's target audience is neophyte gun owners. He also lives in the Marigny which has seen a resurgence of violence due to Mayor Landrieu's poor crime policies so he is living the problem of inner city crime and violence. He's been a force in Baton Rouge and a principle sponsor and architect of the changes to LA's concealed carry laws: http://www.hdfnola.org/changing-the-law.html. If you Monday-morning-quarterback-critics could pull your noses out of the rarified air for a few moments you might attend one of his meetings; first Tuesday of every month http://www.hdfnola.org/monthly-meetings.html. He's done more for the Second Amendment and firearm ownership than anyone I personally know.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I know Mike and attend NOLA HDF meetings as often as I can. As stated above, Mike's target audience is neophyte gun owners. He also lives in the Marigny which has seen a resurgence of violence due to Mayor Landrieu's poor crime policies so he is living the problem of inner city crime and violence. He's been a force in Baton Rouge and a principle sponsor and architect of the changes to LA's concealed carry laws: http://www.hdfnola.org/changing-the-law.html. If you Monday-morning-quarterback-critics could pull your noses out of the rarified air for a few moments you might attend one of his meetings; first Tuesday of every month http://www.hdfnola.org/monthly-meetings.html. He's done more for the Second Amendment and firearm ownership than anyone I personally know.

Agreed.

I have seen him in action first hand. While like many, I initially take issue with some of his ways, his ways have a way of reaching people most of us would be unable too. Anyone can learn past the point of a Ruger Charger, but they have to be willing to learn. He has an unassuming way about him that those people most of us would consider unreachable seem to identify with. I can over look some of his "eccentric" ways in light of the overwhelming good his actions are doing.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    10/22 for home defense? Not before I grab any number of Shotguns, rifles or handguns in my home. There’s either of 2 messages I wanna send to someone breaking into my home. I either want them sprawled on the floor thinking, ‘oh dear God, I’ve been shot’ or I want them to never hear the shot.
    What I don’t want is them advancing and wondering if I’m shooting them.
    I’ll accept the rationale for a 10/22 making a good bug out survival gun, but unless you’re gonna add another digit, a 22 should not be your first choice for home defense.

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    10/22 for home defense? Not before I grab any number of Shotguns, rifles or handguns in my home. There’s either of 2 messages I wanna send to someone breaking into my home. I either want them sprawled on the floor thinking, ‘oh dear God, I’ve been shot’ or I want them to never hear the shot.
    What I don’t want is them advancing and wondering if I’m shooting them.
    I’ll accept the rationale for a 10/22 making a good big out survival gun, but unless you’re gonna add another digit, a 22 should not be your first choice for home defense.

Agreed.
    A .22 is an excellent survival tool for gathering food.
    However, it is not a proper choice for stopping aggressive folks from harming you.

This guy is plain and simple an ignorant douche.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    While .22 is not my first choice for a defensive round, it is a choice. Non shooters find it less intimidating and therefore easier to shoot. Better hits with a .22 than .357 misses. And while it may not stop a bad guy it might just kill him and keep him from killing the next victim.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Agreed.
    A .22 is an excellent survival tool for gathering food.
    However, it is not a proper choice for stopping aggressive folks from harming you.

This guy is plain and simple an ignorant douche.
    LMAO! That last statement. Nailed it.
    While I agree that a .22LR can indeed be lethal, to push it as THE choice for self defense is worthy of a long head shake. If it’s a question of being able to mitigate recoil or weight or any other factor involving lack of strength to wield a gun with more firepower, there are pistol caliber carbines, AR pistols, 410 shotguns, etc., that prolly don’t take any more effort to shoot than a overgrown 22 pistol.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    A .22 round exploding my eye would likely take me out of a fight, just saying.
    Lol, I’m pretty dang certain a BB in anyone’s eyeball would take them out of the fight long enough to get away at least. Getting said BB into that eyeball is the variable.
    I guess you might find at least one attacker that might hold still long enough for somebody to get that done.
    To be honest, I don’t know why the guy doing the video doesn’t just market the laser...for use on any other number of more formidable weapons for self defense.

Top Bottom