bicycle shorts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Looking for some suggestions from those here that cycle. I've ridden a bicycle off and on my whole life, more so in my teens and early 20's. Never got serious enough to buy some cycling shorts. So I am looking for some suggestions for specific brands. Here's the story. I turn 40 tomorrow and I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life. Not happy about it. I'm 6'1" and sitting right at 300 lbs. Decided that I need to get my fat ass on my bicycle and start eating better before I end up killing myself.
    Just started riding about 5-6 miles a couple of times a week with my son. I would eventually like to ride a lot more and feel I need something better than the cargo shorts that I have been wearing. I'm not thrilled about stuffing my fat in sausage casings for everyone to see. I did a quick search on Amazon for shorts and was quickly overwhelmed. I did notice that there are some marketed towards the mountain bike community that look like cargo shorts over the tight spandex/lycra shorts. That seems more my style. So would you guys have any suggestions for a brand that would have a short like this that would be big enough to go around my 44" waist? Anyone have first hand experience with different brands? What do you like and why?
    Thanks in advance.

DStewart

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    New Orleans
    I ride a good deal. I really haven't found a brand that I just really have fallen in love with more so than any others. One thing that I do not like is the kind with gel padding. I first bought the ones with gel (though my brother who got me into ridding told me not to for the reasons about to be stated) and the gel tends to move from where you need the padding to where you do not since it moves away from pressure. So, I opted for the traditional padding, some have memory foam. I have cheap brands from Walmart and some nicer ones from Academy and they are very similar.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I race in the 80's by 1990 I was married and burnt out on cycling. So some things I have not kept up with. I used shorts with real chamois and did the cleaning, drying, oiling of them. Sounds like a pain but that was the best way back then. I honestly don't know what is currently done
    I like heavier material and 6 panels shorts for a true bike short. What seems like it would be great is padding but too much causes problems.
    I advise if you get a jersey get 3 pocket and not 2 pocket jersey.

This dude, Mike Lew, know his stuff when it comes to cycling. http://www.graycatcycleworx.com/

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I wear padded undershorts under my regular apparel, not joining the spandex crowd just yet! I have some Canari brand ones from Academy that aren't bad, around $25 maybe. I got some good ones from Amazon, the brand is "Baleaf" if I remember right, around $10.

I mainly ride dirt but will do road rides when the trails are muddy. Being in Mandeville, you are so close to the Tammany Trace it'd be a shame not to ride it!

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    First, what type of bike are you riding? MTB, hybrid, road, tri?
    If it doesn't fit you, you're not fitted/positioned properly, even a $300 pair of shorts won't help in comfort...for long..
    I switched from shorts, to bibs, many yrs ago, and recommend them for anyone that is "heavier". They really are that much more comfortable than a pair of shorts. Panels...you'll see them listed as 6 or 8 panel. This is a comfort/flexibility thing. The more the panels(pieces/strips of material, usually the more expensive)
    Manufacturers....higher end Italian/Europian co's mostly offer, like fine Italian suits, shorts/bibs for stature/physiques of "Europeans".....not us S La boys. ***whatever you do, DO NOT order a jersey or shorts/bibs that are listed as "European Cut". Look for the term "Club fit, or Club Cut"***
    With that said, my preferences are Giordana & Lois Garneau...they DO offer an "affordable" bib, that will fit you (American guy), for @ $100+ that will last and hold up for yrs. They offer up to XXL or possibly XXXL, I think, so with a 44" waist you should be GTG.
    Chamois technology has def changed from 30 yrs ago. ( I too had the old school chamois back then...was a pain...)
    Like everything else in our world, new technology/materials replaced animal hides....don't get caught up in all the hype that each of their marketing depts now promote....I would shy away, even though it sounds great, from anything with "gel technology".
    Hope this helps, PM me if you want to discuss further.
    Bottom line: if you're comfortable and not in pain, you will ride further, and enjoy it more and more, as you improve in your fitness level.
    Riding in pain is just not fun....and you don't have to.
    Oh, and even with the best of shorts/bibs/chamois....it'll take some time to "toughen up your butt"... You'll be sore, but it will go away sooner than later.
    And as far as being reluctant to wear them...screw those and their snickers/sneers....you're the one out there on the bike, trying to better yourself, not them....
    And for the love of God, please do not wear underwear underneath them!
    Hope this helps.

Last edited:

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    Pearl iZumi shorts: http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-Q...1433962680&sr=8-1&keywords=pearl+izumi+shorts

Also, the more you ride, the more pressure is put on crucial nerves in the prostate area. Not a bad idea to invest in a seat that will take the pressure off. No need to get erectile dysfunction if you can easily avoid it... Amazon has good seats for fair prices.

I ride around 60 miles on the weekends and shorter rides during the week. Mix of road/off-road. A good pair of shorts, good bike seat, bike fitting, and proper hydration are crucial.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Am kinda in the same boat, out of shape and getting back into riding. I have tried the mt. bike cargo over spandex in the past, could never get comfortable riding with them. I say screw it, get some spandex padded shorts. My stuff is older, but Canari worked well for me, and Bellweather. I wear a Camelback hydration pack, keep a pair of regular shorts to put over the spandex when I am not on the bike. Try a local bike store, you can talk to the sales people, usually give good advice.

Not happy about it. I'm 6'1" and sitting right at 300 lbs. Decided that I need to get my fat ass on my bicycle and start eating better before I end up killing myself.
    And you are worried about how you are going to look on a bike? :eek3:

Non bikers have no understanding of bike shorts. I really don't care.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I ride a good deal. I really haven't found a brand that I just really have fallen in love with more so than any others. One thing that I do not like is the kind with gel padding. I first bought the ones with gel (though my brother who got me into ridding told me not to for the reasons about to be stated) and the gel tends to move from where you need the padding to where you do not since it moves away from pressure. So, I opted for the traditional padding, some have memory foam. I have cheap brands from Walmart and some nicer ones from Academy and they are very similar.

Didn't think about the gel and how it would react like that. Thanks.

I wear padded undershorts under my regular apparel, not joining the spandex crowd just yet! I have some Canari brand ones from Academy that aren't bad, around $25 maybe. I got some good ones from Amazon, the brand is "Baleaf" if I remember right, around $10.

I mainly ride dirt but will do road rides when the trails are muddy. Being in Mandeville, you are so close to the Tammany Trace it'd be a shame not to ride it!

I saw those at Academy. Unfortunately, they don't make them in size "fat ass". Even checked their website. They don't offer them in a size large enough for me.

First, what type of bike are you riding? MTB, hybrid, road, tri?
    If it doesn't fit you, you're not fitted/positioned properly, even a $300 pair of shorts won't help in comfort...for long..

Bottom line: if you're comfortable and not in pain, you will ride further, and enjoy it more and more, as you improve in your fitness level.
    Riding in pain is just not fun....and you don't have to.

Hope this helps.

I bought a Schwinn form Wally World about two years ago. Claims to be a hybrid. I was worried about the spokes and how they would hold up with my weight since there's not many., but so far so good. I think the bike has been discontinued by now but this is what I was able to find online: http://urbanscooters.com/mp/Hybrid-Bikes/700c-Men-s-Schwinn-Avenue-Hybrid-Bike.html What sold me on this bike is the upright position that I sit in while riding it. I've had issues with carpal tunnel in the wrists and this riding position helps avoid the tingling and numbness in my hands. I would like to lose about 40 lbs and then look for something of a little better quality and also get properly fitted for a bike. But for now, this bike will work for rides along the Tammany Trace and the lakefront.

Get a good seat and ride comando.

I think I would be violating several decency laws, But thanks for the suggestion.

Am kinda in the same boat, out of shape and getting back into riding. I have tried the mt. bike cargo over spandex in the past, could never get comfortable riding with them. I say screw it, get some spandex padded shorts. My stuff is older, but Canari worked well for me, and Bellweather. I wear a Camelback hydration pack, keep a pair of regular shorts to put over the spandex when I am not on the bike. Try a local bike store, you can talk to the sales people, usually give good advice.

And you are worried about how you are going to look on a bike? :eek3:

Non bikers have no understanding of bike shorts. I really don't care.

Not too much worried about how I will look on a bike. Worried about how I would look in spandex/lycra shorts. I am a firm believer that some pieces of clothing should come with weight limits. Plus I don't want to expose the general public to any unnecessary display of human obesity. I'd rather keep as much covered as I can.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Some were helpful, some confused me some, and some were just not what I was looking for. I've been doing a good bit of online research and decided to order these shorts: http://amzn.to/1L6M4dA They came in yesterday and I tried them on this morning. Haven't done any riding in them yet, but they fit, I like the look and they are comfortable. Hoping to do a little riding tomorrow morning before it gets too hot and will see how they work out for me.
    The goal for now is to get more active by riding a bike and some walking. Long term, I would like to bike the whole length of the Tammany Trace, just a little over 30 miles. That may not be much for you guys that ride all the time but it's a lot for me.

Baby steps for now.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Unless you are really in shape, 30 miles is a pretty good haul! Let me know how those shorts work out for you. I could just never get used to the extra material when on the bike seat.

If I ever get off my butt and get serious about riding, might invite you folks up to Ruston LA. Lincoln Parish park has an awesome 10 mile singletrack course.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Unless you are really in shape, 30 miles is a pretty good haul! Let me know how those shorts work out for you. I could just never get used to the extra material when on the bike seat.

If I ever get off my butt and get serious about riding, might invite you folks up to Ruston LA. Lincoln Parish park has an awesome 10 mile singletrack course.

If I put my mind to it and ease into it, I think I can get the 30 miles in a few months. Right now, yes, 30 miles is a long haul for me.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA

That trail is on my short list.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    When I rode lonnnng distances way back when, I ditched the tradition bike seat for a truly unorthodox seat which had two specially shaped pads that fit under each of my butt cheeks. This seat solved every problem I ever had with traditional seats. I will try to find a link to the seat and send it to you. It was a paradigm breaker for sure.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Well I tried out the new shorts this morning. Did a quick 4 mile ride before church. Felt a little weird at first but no pain. After the ride, my butt had no pain at all. Seems like there's something to this whole bicycle short business.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Well I tried out the new shorts this morning. Did a quick 4 mile ride before church. Felt a little weird at first but no pain. After the ride, my butt had no pain at all. Seems like there's something to this whole bicycle short business.

That is what it is all about. I might have to get a pair of those.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom