need (want) a new truck

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fng

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    I want a new truck, looking at the 2015 Silverado and sierra but wont rule out the F150...I like the front end of the GMC the most, for you guys that own the 2015 sierra, Silverado and F150 post some feedback on your truck to include any issues/dislikes, actual fuel economy and if you don't mind what you paid vs. sticker, thanks

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I've had a 2009 F150 for five years now, purchased new. It's a base model except for the 'extended range' option. A 37 gal fuel tank. It's got a small V8. Less than 300 cubic inches, . . . 289 perhaps?
    Plenty enough power for my needs. Not quite 90K miles on it.

I got amazing fuel economy when it was new, but it has steadily declined. I'm getting about 22 hwy and 16-18 city, depending on how I drive. I can get as much as 24 hwy, if I keep my speed down to 60mph.

New it was getting over 20 in the city, and almost 30 on the hwy. I change filters, maintain tires, change oil with 100% synthetic, etc. I'm going to try new plugs and wires to see if that helps.

No real maintenance issues.

Robertn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Fort Mill, SC
    I picked up a 2015 sierra 2 months ago i just don't care for the front of the chevy.It's a 1500 4wd crewcab I've only put 900 miles on it so far and 22 mpg was the best and 13 mpg was the worst pulling a tandem axle trailer. It's loaded but my favorite is the factory installed electric brake controller. I initially was looking at the 2500hd sle but for about he same cost the loaded 1500 slt is what went with based off of that I don't pull a trailer as much as I use to.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I owned a 2010 Silverado with the 5.3L 6speed. HD tow package, factory larger wheels and tires (beauty)... sucked. Ill never buy another GM product. It did get awesome MPG though, 22-23 highway and 18 combined (15 when towing a bobcat)

I am currently looking also, my car is for sale (someone buy it lol) I've taken a look at the f150s and the Tundra's. I cant afford the Tundra. The 14 F150s is what I've made my mind on but they are nearly done for as far as new is concerned. If you are looking be sure to check out insurance rates on the 15's,,, they are much higher on my end over the 14 model. Way more than it simply being a model year/age thing. I think the truck is just that much more costly to repair.
    There are 6 F150s 12-14 years models in my family, a mix of 5.0s and 3.5ecos... haven't had a lick of issues short of fuel consumption on a 12'eco which was solved with new plugs I installed. I would put the 5.0 mpg around 16.5 real world and the ecos hover around 18.

Have you ruled out Dodge (Ram)? I was thinking a hemi, I love the way the Dodge looks, but I'm just very unsure on the brand. Likewise they have 2 13' hemis in the family and no issues I can recall there. I was the only GM owner out of the bunch.... Im still made fun of.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Mtregre, what sucked about the Silverado? Didn't list any specifics. I only ask Bc I have a 2010 escalade that's given me Zero issues and was looking into getting a 2010ish Silverado as a beater....

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Between my Father and I, we've had 8 Chevrolet's in the past 25 years. My Silverado went 300,000 miles in 15 years, before I decided to sell it. Out of the eight vehicles, none have ever broken down on us. My Silverado had the most miles, but the rest (other than his 2013 Silverado) have gone 100,000 miles or more without problems, until we sold them to get a newer model.

A high school friend of mine has owned Ford's all his life, and every single one had problems. He finally wised up and started buying Dodge trucks. No problems since.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Long story really, we can start from day one, literally. The truck was sold to me with a bent/warped rim... which when I hit 70mph for the first time on the way home gave an issue. Prob here was that it took 7days to get a new wheel put on. Fast forward to month 2, some form of cpu issue, truck wouldn't go back to V8 mode. Prior to hitting month 3 (I worked at the time in construction, I closed shop for 4 days due to bad weather) when getting into my truck for the first time, just like a cartoon, water ran out of my door; 3rd taillight leaked which resulted in a "fix". One week later, due to smell, rear seats, all carpets padding, and roof liner changed.
    This is when I had a string of good, roughly another 1 month: following the end of a roof job (14hours, beat the weather job) I went to open my driver side door and in my little hand was a door handle... yeah. Had to enter my new truck through the passenger side. At this point, the service manager, Kim, knows me by voice when I call to make an appointment. Which is something I don't think any service manager wants nor an owner of a vehicle who needs said manager.
    Somewhere after this, I had additional cpu issues which resulted in gear drops at speeds that far exceeded their capabilities, locks that had a mind of their own and windows that would roll down while the truck was parked (actually saw it happen a few times, craziest ****) I figured this was something along the lines of a short, water issue, bad battery, fuses... nah. It was the OnStar box. So that was removed by your truly with a pair of wire cutters and screw driver.
    The last thing was a serious issue with my driver side seat belt while in the snow in Tenn. The damn thing, I swear by all that is sacred, came detached from the frame/floor some how. The local dealer stated the screw was cross threaded and just came loose over time.
    Listen, I understand I had a lemon which happens with all brands. The majority of my issue rest in service issues and manufacture issues regarding this long "its the customers fault" buy back program. Just left one very bad taste ya know. I loved the look of my truck and still like that body style, plenty of power and I hit over 23mpg numerous times. Towed upwards of 10k lbs and didn't care or get nervous about the truck. Everything around that motor, tranny, and rear end just seemed to be crap.
    I knew a few guys with same year Silverado's that never had any issues, 2 still drive chevy and prob will never switch. The only other Silverado I know of that had any issues (door handles and 3rd taillight/flooding) was also a 5.3l. Maybe some gremlin lived on this production line.

(see why I left it out :dunno: )

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Every Ford in my family has been a tank. My 99 F150 is the latest, everyone started buying Hondas, but there were plenty before it. My alternator died after 15 years and I had a sticky caliper. That's it. Wish my grandpa hadn't sold a few of them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I was in love with the Sierra, but when I started getting serious (before we became a single income family and plans changed), I was looking at Fords.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have been buying primarily GM vehicles for more than 50 years and they have served me well.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Chevy and Ford can build tanks and lemons. Been in various company Ford's for almost 20 years now. Most have been great trucks. Give you the same advice my father gave me - never buy a truck when it's the first year for a totally new engine design or a new body style.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I know you didn't mention Toyotas, but I had been looking at all of the makes of supercrew trucks and I ended up going with a new 2015 Toyota Tundra Supercrew SR5 with a TSS Off Road package (which is strange considering it's a 4x2). The kids just LOVE all of the room in the back seat.

Even though I got a damned good deal on it, I really hate to have a car payment again after nearly a decade and a half without one. But at 0% interest it makes sense to leave the money in the savings account. The sticker was just below 42,000 and I ended up at 35,600 including TT&L.

11425497_10204762866531734_6266318115659353662_o_zpseq6lsulc.jpg
    front%20wheel_zpseszgp3up.jpg

TSS_zpstziyddv7.jpg
    passenger%20side%20rear_zpslaupdgzo.jpg

drivers%20side%20froint_zpsyxq4veam.jpg
    back%20window_zpslm7obduz.jpg

I sure do hope I never forget to roll the power rear window back up...

Last edited:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Not a bad price. I've ridden in a few Tundras and really like them, but it seemed to be priced higher than a comparable Ford or Chevy. If a deal can be had, I'd definitely go for one.

As far as the TSS, probably just an appearance package, like Chevy's Z-71, which doesn't necessarily mean 4WD.

visco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Pearl River
    I've had a 2009 F150 for five years now, purchased new. It's a base model except for the 'extended range' option. A 37 gal fuel tank. It's got a small V8. Less than 300 cubic inches, . . . 289 perhaps?
    Plenty enough power for my needs. Not quite 90K miles on it.

I got amazing fuel economy when it was new, but it has steadily declined. I'm getting about 22 hwy and 16-18 city, depending on how I drive. I can get as much as 24 hwy, if I keep my speed down to 60mph.

New it was getting over 20 in the city, and almost 30 on the hwy. I change filters, maintain tires, change oil with 100% synthetic, etc. I'm going to try new plugs and wires to see if that helps.

No real maintenance issues.

When did the oil companies start making ethanol gas? My Nisson Frontier was getting 23.5 mpg then when the corn liquor started I started getting 21.5.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I found that to be the case in my Sentra also. Slightly less MPG with the "up to 10%" mix. I know some local stations were analyzed by a shop which showed the least mix was over 15%. This was a few years ago.

So any update on what you are looking at? IN light of the new info on the stellar deal on the Tundra Im going to check them out this week. Anyone want a 2 door/2 seat sports car? Im selling way under market value. :dunno:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    First truck was a Toyota Tacoma. Sold it with 99K miles NEVER a lick of trouble, but single cab 2wd for a guy that is over 6 foot is a tight space and I never had anywhere to put anything. Got out of college and bought a Chevy Z71 crew cab, drove it 122,000 miles and just sold it about a month ago. Had a few electrical issues (GM is famous for that) radio kept going out when it was brand new and after the 3rd time they changed it and it didn't fix the issue they found a fault in the amplifier and that fixed that. The instrument cluster went out but that was changed out free of charge as a factory recall, front left wheel bearing went out at about 90K. Overall a good truck that I would buy again, rode well and I hated to sell it. Last year I bought a FORD F150 with the off road package, it rides like a dream. So far I have 14K miles on it, mostly highway, and I have not had any issues and love it.

In the near future you will not see me in a Dodge. I have a good buddy that used to own a Tire/Rim/Stereo shop in Lafayette and he said the crap they would see on brand new Dodge vehicles would blow your mind. Had another friend that bought a Mega cab after a few months and several visits to the service shop they lemon law'ed it and gave him a brand new one. The second one didn't last but a few months also. He pulls a goose neck with heavy equipment, after a few months he could floor the pedal and it wouldn't go over 35 mph. Several trips with that one to the service department and he left the Dodge service department and drove straight to the FORD dealership and bought a F250.

Wife drove a Saturn which was a POS. Then went to a Tahoe, great vehicle w/o any issues. Now she is in a BMW which has had a few minor things but all covered under the warranty.

I'm not brand loyal, I could careless what decal is on the vehicle. I just want something dependable at a fair price.

Last edited:

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    I know you didn't mention Toyotas, but I had been looking at all of the makes of supercrew trucks and I ended up going with a new 2015 Toyota Tundra Supercrew SR5 with a TSS Off Road package (which is strange considering it's a 4x2). The kids just LOVE all of the room in the back seat.

Even though I got a damned good deal on it, I really hate to have a car payment again after nearly a decade and a half without one. But at 0% interest it makes sense to leave the money in the savings account. The sticker was just below 42,000 and I ended up at 35,600 including TT&L.

I sure do hope I never forget to roll the power rear window back up...

Great deal for sure. What dealership was that at?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    If you get the silvarado, get the 5.3, that motor has been around FOREVER, and like all chevy's the motor will last forever, Just everything around it will break....

My family has had a suburban, 2 tahoes, an avalance, and an Escalade. No major issues, AC switch wouldn't work on setting 1 on the 2002 tahoe, but the car was 10+ years old at that time, and all the other settings above it worked. Avalanche was probably one of my favorites. Drove smoother than my escalade, and was plenty handy. But I don't haul a lot of things to need a bed, so I drive an Escalade now, and small things like remote start, cooled seats, and 6.2L motor are nice to have.... My only gripe with it is, I wish I would have bought the longer one. The short wheel base model can't fit 7 people AND luggage. Then again I only have me and my wife, but it's nice to have options....

Top Bottom