What stars and bars mean to you.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    I didn't want to hi jack the where to buy a Confederate flag , anymore than it has been. So I started a new.

There had been a lot of emotion over the Confederate flag. I'm curious as to what it actually means or represents to people

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    It is part of this country's heritage.

If we need to take it down then I feel every Martin Luther King Blvd needs to be renamed.

And I'm not a racist person - just tired of things being looked at one way.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    It was the battle standard of the Army of Northern Virginia. The battle for states rights never ended though. They can remove these flags from state buildings, but they will have a far more difficult time reversing recent victories for states rights.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Honestly, it's a piece of history, but I've never in my life felt the need to fly it. Now that people want to make a big deal of it and take it away for ******** reasons and false beliefs, I'm seriously considering buying a bunch of plastidip and turning my Accord into the General Lee (or would it be General Li?). This PC ******** has got to stop.

Sniper56

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    LaPlace
    When you try and ignore or history you make a serious mistake because it did happen, a war was fought under the Stars and Bars as well as the American flag. Men on both .sides died for what were their beliefs, right or wrong, and we should not simply write off these symbols of the Civil War/War between the States.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It's a symbol of American history and southern pride, to me.

And frankly, I do not care what it means to others- or if they've been mislead to believe it stands for something else. My world isn't about "you".

It's not this particular flag that's dividing this country- it is people like those who try and dictate how others should think.

So don't worry about me. Clean up your own yard and get out of mine. :)

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    I agree it's a symbol of us history. Good to some bad for others.
    Shouldn't our emotions be directed toward the hate groups that use it as a banner. Wouldnt the non racist, flag supporters, receive less grief. If kkk members, and other hate groups, would March against, non white southerners, without it as a banner.
    It's these hate groups that are the root of the problems. And I'm speaking of all cultures. I just used the kkk as a reference.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Right now its all about freedom of expression, right or wrong. In my own opinion, I prefer looking at a confederate flag over someone's drawers hangin' out the seat of their pants. Here was a good day at work. I was down at a swimmin' hole off 190 near Robert to get some photos. There was a girl there with a Confederate flag Bikini with a couple of black guys. They didn't seem to have a problem. I saw the irony but after ten seconds of conversation I knew the irony was lost to these local inhabitants, cue banjos.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the "Stars and Bars" flag is the first of 3 flags adopted to represent the Confederate States of America. It consists of a Blue field with a circle of 13 white stars on the left and 3 bars to the right , 2 red bars with one white bar between them. That flag represented the government and when I see it I think of Slavery, States Rights and Secession from the Federal Government.
    The flag that was flying at the South Carolina State capitol is the "Confederate Battle flag", the blue field and the red X with 13 white stars. To me that flag represents the Confederate soldier, the South, loyalty, sacrifice, Love of the south and a willingness to stand up to authority

Last edited:

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    Here is the "Stars and Bars"
    a76c0998737ecfee5e514e0340e3fdf0.jpg

It was not the same as the Confederate Battle Flag, know as the "Southern Cross". (this flag was a square, all others were rectangular)

a82bdf92a63e06ca5a027aecd9a944d7.jpg

Which shouldn't be confused with the Confederate Naval Jack
    b511bfe129d59988c5bbba8a0ee87cc9.jpg

Which shouldn't be confused with the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee
    7620bc695ce9dd8272b9f418a009243b.jpg

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    To me it Currently it means that the media and politicians found something to distract southern voters from the actual important things going on in the country.

This flag won't be banned, stores will quietly start selling them again, nothing will come of this, it's a distraction. Bread and circuses. Move along nothing to see here.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cheese

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/primarysources/declarationofcauses.html

Did y'all know that some states stated why they seceded? I honestly didn't know they had. When I read them, it was eye opening.

Georgia's first two sentences in their declaration:

"The people of Georgia having dissolved their political connection with the Government of the United States of America, present to their confederates and the world the causes which have led to the separation. For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery."

Mississippi:

"In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin. That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove."

Texas:

"Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated Union to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time."

South Carolina

"We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection."

So, what does the Confederacy mean to me? That the Southern states where willing to form their own country and go to war rather than give up their slaves.

Last edited:

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/primarysources/declarationofcauses.html

Did y'all know that some states stated why they seceded? I honestly didn't know they had. When I read them, it was eye opening.

Georgia's first two sentences in their declaration:

"The people of Georgia having dissolved their political connection with the Government of the United States of America, present to their confederates and the world the causes which have led to the separation. For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery."

Mississippi:

"In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin. That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove."

Texas:

"Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated Union to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time."

South Carolina

"We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection."

So, what does the Confederacy mean to me? That the Southern states where willing to form their own country and go to war rather than give up their slaves.

Well that is quite interesting. I have not been educated on that and I will certainly be asking my cousin who is a history professor who also has special interest in the Civil War if that is indeed true. Not saying I don't believe it, but maybe their is more to the story? Regardless of if it is true I am still proud to be born south of the Mason Dixon line and personally would prefer to fly the real stars and bars (flag of the Confederate States). I'm sure if I was born and raised in that time period I would side with the Confederacy. Not because of the issue of slavery but because I believe in less federal government and more states rights.

On the issue of slavery... I'm not trying to dehumanize any race with the following analogy, only giving my opinion on how some southerners may have viewed slavery during that time period... I believe outlawing diesel powered equipment because of emissions or something (the reason would not be relevant to this analogy) in today's time would compare to outlawing slavery in that time period. I'm sure many farmers now feel it would impossible to farm their land without diesel powered equipment just like farmers or plantation owners felt like they wouldn't be able to farm their land without slaves. It seemed normal for them to farm their land with slaves like it seems normal to farm our land with tractors. Do I think we need slaves now?.. probably not... Will I apologize or feel sorry for the history of the south?.. probably not... Am I still proud of the the south and what it represented regardless of slavery?.. Yes.

So to me the stars and bars represent freedom of the states and everything that the soldiers of The Confederate States were fighting for. Not every confederate soldier fought for the same reasons.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Colonel
    Top Bottom