Opinions on best flash light for hand gun and Hand held

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BDC_PAIN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    New Roads,LA
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

Im looking for opinions on what you have found to be the best flash lights to attach to your hand gun and also hand held. I am looking for durable and bright I am interested in both as my hand held are not allways easy to find thanks to my 5 yearold that loves flash lights so having both is a great optionI feel.

Thanks in advance to all comments

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    So you are looking for a light that you can remove from your pistol and use as a hand held in a pinch? Or are you looking for recommendations on a handheld and a weapons light?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Thanks Chris!
    Why klarus xt1c over any of the Fenix or surefire lights?

The handheld flashlight world is almost as large as the firearm industry. You may want to check out brands like Jetbeam, Olight, and Nitecore (along with Surefire and Fenix).

Lights are purpose built. Do you want a 3,000 lumen flood light or a 200 lumen focused beam? Maybe just a 40 lumen light to check things in the glove box of your car?

BDC_PAIN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    New Roads,LA
    Dave_M thanks for the post!
    I am seeing that as I dig in and is why I am asking if someone say bought 3 surefire and all had issue but had great luck with brand x I was looking for that type of info also.
    What I am going to want is likely a tighter beam to say blind someone if i had to confront them on my property so they see the light but no idea where i am on the other side of the light.

Thanks again

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I'm not sure about the focused beam. My tlr has a good beam for a pistol light got to think close quarters etc I would guess. Focused beam for an long gun for long distances maybe? If that's the case I have a streamlight super tac X that has a really tight beam that can shine a long way off. However, with lights you can get easily get wrapped up in "what if's" instead of just a good quality light that works when you need it. I would read some reviews about the ones already mentioned by members here to make your decision.

They have so many different purpose built lights out there just try to stick with a reputable company that stands behind their product. Surefire is really good about that if cost isn't a problem.

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I agree that the lights mentioned are all fine quality and will serve your purposes well.
    One thing to consider is where you plan on using the light at.
    For outdoors the higher lumen models are nice to have but indoors is another story all together.
    If you plan on using it indoors you may want to assess the environment before choosing an extreme output light.
    Do you have mirrors, glass surfaces, white paint or other glossy/high reflectivity items?
    Splashback from a high lumen light beam may very well work against you in that instance.

In any event, I hope you find the light that's right for you.

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    Fenix LD12 was perfect for me. As for a WML, my gun won't accept one but I have uswd a streamlight tlr and it does everything the average person could need.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Just for reference;
    I carry a Maratac 2AA Extreme (620 Lumens) in my daypack and a Maratac AAA Rev 3 (140 Lumens) on my key ring.

I've owned Surefire and Streamlight in the past, but I'll be looking at the new Olights soon.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    For weapon lights the only viable options IMO are the Surefire X-Series, Streamlight TLR, and the Inforce APL (in order of preference). For handhelds the field opens up a LOT, and it really depends on what exactly you're looking for as well as budget. Self defense/EDC? You'll want something bright with simple controls (momentary and constant on only). General use? Something with variable light levels will probably be the way to go. Again, Surefire takes the cake, but most people probably can't justify a $150+ handheld. Streamlight, Fenix and Klarus are all very good alternatives at a lower price.

For me personally, all of my long gun lights are Surefire. My nightstand pistol wears a Streamlight TLR-1s. I keep a Surefire G2X in each vehicle (great inexpensive industructable light, perfect for late night tire changes etc). I've been carrying a Fenix PD30 or PD20, for going on about 6 years now. I keep waiting for them to die so I can "upgrade" to Surefire, but they just won't quit regardless what hell I put them through.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom