Ammo cans in the Baton Rouge area?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Anyone have suggestions for the best place to buy ammo cans (the bigger the better) in the Baton Rouge area?

Mrron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Addis, LA
    Out on 61 north toward port Hudson cemetery- guy on side of the road just past the pride/port Hudson road. I've gotten several .50 cal cans. He has all kinds of sizes. He is there 3-4 times a weeks

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Sgt. surplus in central has some larger than 50s if your looking for something that big. He's at Joor road and denham rd.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Out on 61 north toward port Hudson cemetery- guy on side of the road just past the pride/port Hudson road. I've gotten several .50 cal cans. He has all kinds of sizes. He is there 3-4 times a weeks

He is out there almost every weekend and has some small signs on the hwy

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    do not buy ammo cans if you want air tight. i had a bunch and most of them did not keep the moisture indicator a good color. i use the 16 oz. coke bottles now.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    do not buy ammo cans if you want air tight. i had a bunch and most of them did not keep the moisture indicator a good color. i use the 16 oz. coke bottles now.

Must be a magic trick to put 1,000 plus rounds in a 16 oz. Coke Bottle. Seriously, you must have bad seals on your ammunition cans.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Must be a magic trick to put 1,000 plus rounds in a 16 oz. Coke Bottle. Seriously, you must have bad seals on your ammunition cans.

I'm going to agree here. I pulled about 8 ammo cans out of my grandfathers attic that were filled with .50BMG, .30-06, .45ACP and .308 from when he was head of a firing range in the military. All but one had good useable ammo stored for 45-50 years. The one can with a bad seal contained ammo where the casing turned black and soft from moisture and corrosion. It was a good way to see how much of a difference a good seal makes. Just double check seals before you purchase the ammo cans, that's what I do.

Last edited:

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Little but of grease/lube (silicone grease works the best imo) on the gaskets and they will last a long time.

If the gaskets are too far gone, go grab a tube of black silicone gasket maker and get to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom