dumb question regarding water storage

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm in a friendly argument with my brother in law and I'm hoping we've got a resident bayoushooter that can steer me in the right direction. short version is i've got a family cabin on some land and it doesn't have running water. It's pretty much used as a supply closet with a bunk bed. We are heading there next week, with multiple trips planned from now through the spring. I'd like to leave some stuff there for future trips, namely water cause its a PITA to haul. I'd like to fill up some waterbricks and just leave them there. My BIL is telling me we'd have to treat the water and the girls won't drink chemicals blah blah. They'd be stacked and stored indoors without air conditioning- but theyd be out of sunlight.

Can I fill a few jugs with tap water and just let them stay there, or do they need some kind of treatment? It'd be hot, but in the dark.

Can I fill the waterbricks with FILTERED water and leave them in said conditions? (have an RO system at home with UV integration)

Thanks for any advice. Maybe it sounds silly, but its a big deal to the ladies. I'd be fine sticking a lifestraw in a pond.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I store water in my RV tanks for a long time. The tanks are black polyethelene under the trailer and have never been flushed. Never had a problem with off taste.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Let the girls hump the water up to the cabin a few times.

Not much experience with that species, huh? Either next time, they won't come back, or, if too young to stay home, will make your life miserable while there. Likely to do so either way the first time. If the ladies aren't happy, he won't be. Smart man.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Wrong, Mine work, No sense in keeping a useless yuppie woman around.

Now if it s little kids I cut them a little slack...But not much

Not much experience with that species, huh? Either next time, they won't come back, or, if too young to stay home, will make your life miserable while there. Likely to do so either way the first time. If the ladies aren't happy, he won't be. Smart man.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    from personal experience, one time at the McDonald observatory in Texas, in the fort Davis mountains, a desert, I went to the observatory early to get a tour a few hours before a star party, and it was closed. Me and my friend decided to wait it out in the parking lot rather than go get water, as our young naïve selves did not bring any. After a couple hours, spending the time as many teenagers will do alone in the desert while waiting for a star party, we were very thirsty. Someone came along and we asked if they had any water. He had a rubber bladder with water that had been in there for a few years in the trunk of his car for emergency radiator fill up. We drank it and were fine. It was the worst tasting water I have ever drank, and it smelled bad as well.

What about keeping one of these up there?
    http://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Fam...d=1436714908&sr=8-3&keywords=lifestraw+filter

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

this guy gets it.

thanks for the tips fellas. the plan is going to be filtered water into waterbricks the day of the trip. I've got enough to haul 40gals or so. BIL is going to fill and leave a few barrels there that we can boil etc on return trips.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    from personal experience, one time at the McDonald observatory in Texas, in the fort Davis mountains, a desert, I went to the observatory early to get a tour a few hours before a star party, and it was closed. Me and my friend decided to wait it out in the parking lot rather than go get water, as our young naïve selves did not bring any. After a couple hours, spending the time as many teenagers will do alone in the desert while waiting for a star party, we were very thirsty. Someone came along and we asked if they had any water. He had a rubber bladder with water that had been in there for a few years in the trunk of his car for emergency radiator fill up. We drank it and were fine. It was the worst tasting water I have ever drank, and it smelled bad as well.

What about keeping one of these up there?
    http://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Fam...d=1436714908&sr=8-3&keywords=lifestraw+filter

I told someone I have a travel berkey that I'd bring, but really didnt want to leave. May grab one - good find.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    What my wife says I do, and life is good. How much water do y'all have to haul per trip and how far do y'all have to haul it? Possibly buying used and inexpensive 4 wheeler to haul it if it's a long haul? Let's face it... Why else did we get married besides to spend money?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    What my wife says I do, and life is good. How much water do y'all have to haul per trip and how far do y'all have to haul it? Possibly buying used and inexpensive 4 wheeler to haul it if it's a long haul? Let's face it... Why else did we get married besides to spend money?

hauling ~50gal in combo of kentwood 5gals and waterbricks. It'll be easier than that sounds. waterbricks are fkn awesome. I was asking because I know people that have dozens of kentwood bottles in their garage/shed in similar conditions and they never have a problem, why should the cabin be any different? (BIL says those people are dumb and/or are consuming within a couple months... not 6-8 months later)

We are adding water/septic and another cabin in the spring, so this is only a ~6mo hassle anyway.

(what I need is alpine's jeep. :rofl:)
    - - - Updated - - -

Maybe buy some gallon jugs of distilled water and store them there?

I've got plenty of wterbricks and kentwood bottles I could leave- that was the original question. A handful of PM's told me thatd be dangerous for some reason. Hell i dunno honestly.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    In my very limited research, I found that bad tasting stale water that was properly purified and stored (aka, demon water in airtight bottle) can be made to taste normally by opening, letting in fresh oxygen, then shaking like hell.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    In my very limited research, I found that bad tasting stale water that was properly purified and stored (aka, demon water in airtight bottle) can be made to taste normally by opening, letting in fresh oxygen, then shaking like hell.

I cant imagine what the difference is between the kentwood bottles in the store room at winn dixie or walmart that is any different than my shed or garage. (or cabin...) but alas, it IS water so I don't want to die to some mysterious organism because I was too lazy to light a fire.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    We keep pallets of Kentwwod water at work for 6th months, indoors no sunlite and no A/C. after 6th months (basically hurricane season) we give it away to staff. It drinks just fine to me !

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    If it was pure at the beginning it will be pure at the end. Pathogens don't just appear in pure stored water. There may be some change in taste from the container, glass would be best, or from the loss of dissolved gasses (flat taste).

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I cant imagine what the difference is between the kentwood bottles in the store room at winn dixie or walmart that is any different than my shed or garage. (or cabin...) but alas, it IS water so I don't want to die to some mysterious organism because I was too lazy to light a fire.

For 6 months, considering it WOULD be being used in those 6 months, you will be fine. I searched for the article/video last night, about water storage (5 years), but couldn't find it. The guy was basically saying that unless you wanted to store water for a year+, you didn't need to treat it. You DO want to avoid heat, but that really means keep it out of the direct sunlight. If the inside of the cabin is reaching 80-90*, you should be fine. IMO, you should be rucking your drinking water anyway. The water storage should be for your septic needs, showering, and cleaning dishes. Rucking 5-8L of water isn't terribly difficult and should be plenty for a few days of hanging out in the cabin. Unless you are going for weeks at a time, that's a different story.

Top Bottom